ARJ Defense ad

Man sentenced to 2 years for building cannon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I cannot find any specifics on the cannon this guy built (the cannon in the article is just a stock photo). A traditional muzzleloading black powder cannon does not fall under the NFA, and thus cannot be a destructive device. Did he build a breechloader?

Was he shooting explosive shells out of it or something? The articles make it sound like the cannon itself was the issue.

Regardless, him going to prison over this is a gross miscarriage of justice. He harmed no one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It's still not clear to me, but apparently Kent Kimberly's cannon used some kind of cartridge for firing...

Regardless, this was a travesty, not justice. I assume, with time already served, he will be released in January 2022, but nowhere have I found any details of this case.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Interesting. From the article:
    "Investigators also said Kimberling told them “numerous times that he believed the police and police chief were out to get him and that the Town of Garfield is corrupt."
    Since he's saying that from jail, part of it seems to be accurate.
    You can't really call a guy crazy if the shit he says seems to be true.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've done no research, but, is a tax stamp required for a canon of the size he built?

If no, he's been railroaded, if yes, he's a dumb ass.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    He may be okay under federal law, but some states have their own laws concerning cannons. Wouldn't doubt that Washington does.
    Google reveals zero results on the topic. Cannon "shells", like grenades, are considered destructive devices under the NFA, I believe.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    He may be okay under federal law, but some states have their own laws concerning cannons. Wouldn't doubt that Washington does.
    Google reveals zero results on the topic. Cannon "shells", like grenades, are considered destructive devices under the NFA, I believe.
    Who knows what’s law in Washington state. That place is a goofy liberal kingdom.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When my buddy built his bowling ball mortar he went with a fuse. His skill set would have been able to do a percussion cap or even 209 primer, but he wanted to stay real clear of any phucery by the law!

Reactions: gll

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City

But the article states that ATF agents arrested him. And it is my understanding that ATF agents are federal.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Have a friend who built an 80mm black powder mortar...I seem to remember him telling me he had to make it 80 mm or larger...can't remember the exact reason, but it had to do with the Feds......it looks just like an M2......has "Black Powder Only" stenciled on it.....

We pulled it on trailer with our golf cart in a local parade once..... firing glitter loads out of it along the way..........

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    But the article states that ATF agents arrested him. And it is my understanding that ATF agents are federal.
    At the end of the day they can decide if it’s worth federal court or local. I’m not just saying that. They do this often.

A local da could handle the case or he could get fully rammed in federal court. Sad thing is it depends on multiple people making that decision and what side of the bed they woke up on.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom