• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I do not think it was an HOA. Many cities have ordinances that you have to maintain your property in a reasonable manner. Last place I lived you could not park a boat or car on the grass next to the driveway. You had to have concrete, asphalt or gravel. Also cars could not be parked on the street for more than 7 consecutive days. and no car repair in the driveway.
    And that's different from an HOA how?
    Texas SOT

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I do not think it was an HOA. Many cities have ordinances that you have to maintain your property in a reasonable manner. Last place I lived you could not park a boat or car on the grass next to the driveway. You had to have concrete, asphalt or gravel. Also cars could not be parked on the street for more than 7 consecutive days. and no car repair in the driveway.
    Was this in the USSR? Geez

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    1626504239667.png

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Damn gubmint has guns. Karens in the HOA usually hate guns. And the gubmint has the ability to leavy larger fines. Even take your house if they want.

Yeah, HOAs dont have guns, but they have lawyers and aren't afraid to use them. Additionally they will charge you for their lawyer fees and put a lien against your house!

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    The problem with code enforcement is, in many cities, it is not so much about code enforcement as another means of generating income. San Angelo, for example, cited me for having my car in the backyard and gave me 10 days to move it. Backstory - my wife hit a "no parking" sign when driving under the influence of Ambien and it knocked out my clutch. I fixed the car and parked it back on the street in a couple of days.

A few days later I was walking to work and found a car that had been in a yard so long that a tree was growing through the engine compartment. I asked code enforcement about it and they said they could not do anything unless there was a complaint.

There were several incidents between me (or my mother) and code enforcement over the years. Once code enforcement told us to cut the grass (three feet high in places and full of trash) at the neighbors place.

In San Angelo and other towns, you see one side of town ignored completely by code enforcement and in other areas people harassed weekly about minor violations.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The problem with code enforcement is, in many cities, it is not so much about code enforcement as another means of generating income. San Angelo, for example, cited me for having my car in the backyard and gave me 10 days to move it. Backstory - my wife hit a "no parking" sign when driving under the influence of Ambien and it knocked out my clutch. I fixed the car and parked it back on the street in a couple of days.

A few days later I was walking to work and found a car that had been in a yard so long that a tree was growing through the engine compartment. I asked code enforcement about it and they said they could not do anything unless there was a complaint.

There were several incidents between me (or my mother) and code enforcement over the years. Once code enforcement told us to cut the grass (three feet high in places and full of trash) at the neighbors place.

In San Angelo and other towns, you see one side of town ignored completely by code enforcement and in other areas people harassed weekly about minor violations.
    Depends on how shitty/nosy your neighbors are then I guess

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I've had my own battles with code enforcement monkies.

When I was a tow driver, I had a take home truck - was on-call 24/7. My truck fit in our driveway - barely, but it did. I didn't park it on the street, as that was against city code. Code nazi threatened to give tickets. I asked who complained, he wouldn't say. I asked about the fucking dump truck at the end of the street, as one of my neighbors drove a dump truck and took that home, and he parked it on the street. My 25,000lb vehicle vs his 40,000lb vehicle, he said "can't do anything, no complaint" to which I said bullshit. The code nazis patrolled just like full on cops - they were non-sworn members of the city PD, drove police vehicles with red/amber (no blue) light bars, and wore the hand-me-down light blue uniforms after the real cops went to all navy blue tactical uniforms. They loved writing tickets, because that's all they could do. They also didn't **** with the largest tow company in the city, because the owner of said company was a retired city fire fighter, and worked a sweetheart deal with the city to tow all of the city's vehicles, including broke down PD cruisers for cheap. I could point out three of that company's drivers within a 1 mile radius of where I lived, who all had take home trucks, some of which parked on the street.

Code enforcement loves to play unequal treatment under the law games and hide behind "can't do anything without a complaint, gotta cite when there's a complaint"

I get it that code enforcement is a necessary evil, and you can't have some jackass letting his property go to shit because it creates honest hazards for the neighbors, but code enforcement monkies are usually wash-outs who couldn't make the cut as fully sworn cops, couldn't get hired as a dog catcher, but who ascended from the minimum wage unarmed mall security jobs. They get a liiiiittle taste of authority and get a rage-boner with it far too often.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Depends on how shitty/nosy your neighbors are then I guess

It does. My hood has an army of karens who drive around and report "violations."

They city sends me a letter. I ignore it. They send me another letter. I mow it/cut it/move it. Its a fun little dance. The nice thing is I have a great reminder to do stuff I should do anyway, but sometimes I get busy and sometimes things are really slow and I want something fun to do.

Sometimes I purposely leave one weed about a foot tall. I get a letter. I ignore it. I get another letter. I ignore it. I get a citation. I take a picture of my perfectly manacured lawn, complete with the one weed, and head to the city court. There is a city attorney in the back. I show him my citation, my picture of suburban heaven lawn, and one renegade weed. And ask him if the city doesn't have better things to do, as I show him the myriad of other grossly ignored violations I took on my way there. He looks like WTH at my pics, and takes my letter and tells me he will take care of it.

Its not a perfect situation, but the whole thing is Karen driven.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom