Official News Guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    :eek:

Man shot to death in Mesa driveway

By Katie McDevitt
    Tribune
    Peggy Abel knew something "really bad" was happening Sunday night in her usually quiet Mesa neighborhood.
    The mother of seven heard screams and someone saying "stop hitting me," so she sent her teenage son out to their backyard to investigate.
    "He came back in and said, 'We gotta call 911!' " Abel said.
    Then, she heard the gunshots.
    "Pop, pop, pop," Abel said. "There was a man standing in the middle of the street and a lady screaming 'You blanking killed him.' "
    Police arrived in the 3900 block of East Hampton Circle, near Val Vista Drive and U.S. 60, about 11 p.m., just as the shooting occurred. Officers found that the 29-year-old boyfriend of a neighborhood woman had been shot and killed by a 49-year-old homeowner who lives nearby.
    The homeowner had come outside after hearing the man and his girlfriend yelling at each other in the front yard.
    Although police have stopped short of using the term self-defense, they said the homeowner shot and killed the man because he was "going crazy" with a billiards stick and charged at the homeowner.
    The man was found dead on the homeowner's driveway.
    "As far as coming out with a gun, he was well within his rights," said Detective Chris Arvayo, Mesa police spokesman. "He was in his yard. He never left his property. He came out with a gun, which is his constitutional right."
    Mesa police haven't released the name of the man who was killed, pending notification of his family. Police also wouldn't release the name of the shooter. No charges have been recommended against the shooter, Arvayo said, but the case will be forwarded to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office for review.
    "He's not in custody right now," Arvayo said.
    Police also said that they learned after the shooting that the man had been hitting things inside his girlfriend's house before he went outside and caused a disturbance.
    Abel said she used the incident as an opportunity to talk with her children about anger management.
    "That's very tragic," Abel said. "It's senseless."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120228
    Venture Surplus ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wait, so this dude is beating on the chick out in the street or something, then a homeowner comes out to confront him and stop him from beating this lady. Then he becomes violent, homeowner shoots him, and then the lady is upset? People are F'in nuts sometimes. Maybe he should have joined in on the beatdown if she is going to be so upset about being defended by a third party.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wait, so this dude is beating on the chick out in the street or something, then a homeowner comes out to confront him and stop him from beating this lady. Then he becomes violent, homeowner shoots him, and then the lady is upset? People are F'in nuts sometimes. Maybe he should have joined in on the beatdown if she is going to be so upset about being defended by a third party.

I understand it as he was upset due to an argument and was swinging a pool cue inside, then when the argument went outside the homeowner went outside to intervene. I'm assuming he was charged by said pool cue ninja, or the homeowner thought the girl was endangered by him, and shot him.

This should have been avoided by calling the police, but it's easy to see how this could escalate into what it did.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The way I read it, they were out in the front yard (hers?? his??) yelling. The homeowner went out into his front yard and saw the dude in the street "going crazy" with the pool cue then according to the homeowner, pool cue ninja (I like that :D ) charged at him.

They don't say he went out to intervene, and they don't let on that he was or had hit her at all but if a dude's out in the street going crazy with a pool cue, it's likely someone might try to make him realize he needs to stop doing that. :D

The they found out PCN was hitting things in her house before it moved outside.

It's 11PM and someone's yelling outside, if I feel a need to go outside, I'm going armed.

Sounds like he did the right thing, and the Mesa PD is even supporting him in his actions. The PCN (boyfriend) needed to reconsider his demeanor and decision making ability at that moment.

BeNotAfraid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Red River, Texas
    ....most folks think Nitroglycerin is pretty potent/deadly stuff...
    ...try a domestic dipute...
    ..pity the poor LEO called out getting into the middle of stuff like this...

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I agree with Texas1911, he should have called the Police right off the bat. But he was well within his rights to shoot the pool cue ninja when he charged at him on his property.

Top Bottom