• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For those of who deal with hurricanes on the Gulf Coast, we have another matter of concern. If a mandatory evacuation is called, the law can come to your home and force you to leave using "reasonable force!"

Oh boy, I am in trouble with this one! I respect our law enforcement officers but wouldn't leave my home in a hurricane for any reason. Our county is a mandatory evacuation area because most of it is at low elevation. I am at 38 feet of elevation and storm surge is not a possibility here.

I keep 30 days food & water, two generators, fuel and, of course, firearms ready at all times. Making me leave my home to risk life & limb out on the road is nuts. If I had somewhere to go like a relatives place or to stay with inland friends , I might leave but that is not the case.

My home took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike and I weathered it out right here. We have a full set of window covers and we used them. We were damaged but not smashed. The roof was totaled, fence crushed and we took in some rainwater but she held together. This little place is stout!

Here's the question: what are some ways that you could stay at home even if an evacuation is called assuming that your home is reasonably safe. I'd like your help to develop a plan that will AVOID confrontation or violence.

I know, we all think about pulling a "John Wayne" and defending our homes to the death. There must be other things that can be done.

Please make your comments NON VIOLENT or we'll get this thread locked up.

Thanks!

Flash
    Hurley's Gold

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I work for EMS on the coast and what we discussed when the mandatory evac was first instituted was that we are not forcing anyone to leave, but with the madatory evac order we are also not responsible for those who stay, that when we evac they are on their own and we will look for them when we return. This was stated by our Emergency Management Coordinator last year and I'm sure it will be repeated this year. We do not wish to force anyone out of their homes if they choose to stay, nor will they arrest someone for not leaving.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    But this ridiculous law the state is trying to pass is giving the police the right to arrest anyone who does not leave during an evac. And that is stupid. The only thing is that if you stay behind and get tore up, Don't get all pissed off at the government for not rescuing you if you chose to stay. That said all I can think of is to John Wayne it And fight to the death in your home.
    Okay Honestly all I would know to do is call your senator or congressmen and tell them to vote against this garbage. I doubt it would do any good anyway they don't give a damn about what the people say anyway. :banghead:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    In, before the LEO holster sniffers who will say that it will be selectively enforced and you do not need to worry about it.

A question that was asked on ARFCOM was what if you had no place to go? Would FEMA allow you to bring your guns to the shelter? I doubt it seriously,so the other bill Gov. Goodhair signed making it illegal to disarm Texans after a disaster is pretty much moot. The police will disarm you if you refuse to leave via arrest.

Bad law.Period.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Shades if Hitler's Germany-1939......Is there any freedom or freedom of choice left ordinary citizens ? America needs initiative & referandum whereas we the prople can force the politicos to make the needed laws and null and void the idiotic ones... Ya hear ?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Feel free to ransack my home. I'm evacuating and will be stuck on 290 for 14 hours.

OMG, I love this post! Thanks for sharing it!

Some of the posts seem not to know that the rules have been recently changed and mandatory evacuations can now be enforced with arrest and "reasonable force." It has been on the news today (7-28-09) and I think the law becomes effective soon.

I'm getting a creepy feeling here and the muscles in my jaw are beginning to tense up along with my trigger finger! I can see myself being confronted as I prepare my place for the blow. Remember, my county IS a normally evacuated area......except for my area which is high ground.

THERE MUST BE A CIVILIZED WAY TO AVOID A VIOLENT CONFRONTATION BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET THERE FROM HERE. DO I NEED TO HIDE IN MY DARKENED HOME LIKE A CRIMINAL? BACKING ME INTO A CORNER IS A REAL BAD PLACE TO BE!

Think, guys.......non violent response! What the heck is a guy to do?

Flash

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's all about choice. It's exactly like having seatbelt laws or motorcycle helmet laws. Well not exactly, but kind of along the same lines. There are just some things that you don't need laws for.

riverara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    In, before the LEO holster sniffers who will say that it will be selectively enforced and you do not need to worry about it.

A question that was asked on ARFCOM was what if you had no place to go? Would FEMA allow you to bring your guns to the shelter? I doubt it seriously,so the other bill Gov. Goodhair signed making it illegal to disarm Texans after a disaster is pretty much moot. The police will disarm you if you refuse to leave via arrest.

Bad law.Period.

Didnt think about that aspect of it!

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Here in Galveston County the roads out are like coming out of a funnel, you only have north at first and East/West after Houston. You can enjoy hours of wait time just to get out of the County in an emergency or you can stay home if that home is structurally sound and you have ample supplies. Government has no responsibility to save you from bad weather just like they have none to save you from an attack so expect to take care of yourself. I have stayed for every Hurricane since birth but one may come that I will run from some day so I will not say I never will leave but it will be a monster storm. My feelings about "mandatory" is that we are a free people and that word does not apply.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Seems like a poor use of resources to me. Instead of going door-to-door arresting people who are staying, those officers should be stationed down the road helping evacuees to GTFO. I was listening to Montgomery County and state services on the scanner during Rita, and part of the reason the contraflow plan went all FUBAR was that they were having a hard time finding enough units to close the southbound feeder ramps so they could reverse the main lanes. I'd hate to think it could be worse next time if officers are stuck in the evac zones trying to enforce this stupid law.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The County Sheriff and County Judge are extremely powerful elected officials in Texas. I wrote to our County Judge for feedback on this.

Here is a part of my letter:
    I am very disturbed by the new law which makes me subject to arrest or
    removal from my home using "reasonable force" during a mandatory
    evacuation. I keep 30 days food and water, 2 generators, fuel, medical
    supplies and communication equipment in my home. Will county officials
    force me to leave the relative safety of home to be stranded in my car
    on Highway 290?
    Here is his reply:

"Flash, I expect common sense will prevail. For example, I could see the new law being used if someone is in a low-lying area and refuses to leave and then staying could put resources and rescuers at risk.

J.S."

========================================================================================

Let's hope that the cooler heads will be in charge for the next storm.

Flash

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    I work for EMS on the coast and what we discussed when the mandatory evac was first instituted was that we are not forcing anyone to leave, but with the madatory evac order we are also not responsible for those who stay, that when we evac they are on their own and we will look for them when we return. This was stated by our Emergency Management Coordinator last year and I'm sure it will be repeated this year. We do not wish to force anyone out of their homes if they choose to stay, nor will they arrest someone for not leaving.

This sounds reasonable... stay if you choose, but don't expect us to come back if TSHTF.

As many here will surely agree, there has to be some personal responsibility. People make choices and need to abide by them. As a note, when I was quite a bit younger I knew a guy whowas a bit older, he wasa comm fisherman up on LI, NY. Owned a small beach house on Fire Island. He and his then girlfriend stayed over during a Cat 2 I believe and said, "never again"...

To think tht the "authorities" will be able to scoop you up out of your house is not good. With the heat of the moment, tensions coming to a peak and occasional lackof maturity and judgement on both sides, this policy could easily result in some very unfortunate outcomes.

Jeff B.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    aother point of view

when they declared 45 north only, I was at work for a fire department in the dfw area. the thing that mattered was that I had left my 80+ year old dad at my farm in th fairfield area. they would not let me go back to get him.175 and 45, were being patroled and road blocked. tried going through athens no luck tried going thru hillsboro and down 170 closed at richland. finally had to take a small plane to a private field owned by a farmer I hardly knew ad from there took a 4 wheeler to pick him up. He said there had been at least a dozen different people that had stopped and tried to buy gasoline because of the shortage. Dad would not sell it But he gve each one five gallons OF MY GASOLINE. thats my dad. While there a lad andher carload of family members pulled in to my drive and asked where the nearest hotel was located, I noticed the firefighter sticker on her wndshield and found out her husband was a houston firefighter and was held over indefinitely. now I knew all hotel rooms were full all the wat to dallas. 50 year old woman with 3 children, so dad told her she culd stay in his rv set up on the farm for overload of family. no hard line so she borrowed my cell phone notgreat reception unless at&t. talked to her husband andhe felt comfortable with the arrangement. I had to get back to metroplex to work the next day but I had a wonderful person to warch over my farm for me. no thanks to the powers in charge. back to the 4wheeler and a short plane ride home

Top Bottom