• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    All you have to do is to look closely at what the 18-20 year olds were like in the pre-1970 eras and then look at their counterparts today. We are talking a radically different set of people with a totally different set of ethics and values. Mandatory service for community park cleanup would be a disaster, much less to allow access to the military to a group of individuals who have no morals, can't make change and can't even tell time unless it is digital.

We are doing just fine with the recruits, thank you
    Hurley's Gold

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    All you have to do is to look closely at what the 18-20 year olds were like in the pre-1970 eras and then look at their counterparts today. We are talking a radically different set of people with a totally different set of ethics and values. Mandatory service for community park cleanup would be a disaster, much less to allow access to the military to a group of individuals who have no morals, can't make change and can't even tell time unless it is digital.

We are doing just fine with the recruits, thank you
    I have to laugh at the time as I had to teach my grandson how to tell time with a conventional watch. Next will be driving stick shift if I can find one.
    I agree the military is doing fine with volunteers but the goal of a short term of service to your country would be to change the attitude of the youth of today. Why do you think the youth have a totally different set of ethics and values? Kids that get merit badges in Boy Scouts are not the same as the ones that push drugs on the inner city streets.

Brassguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 15, 2017
    Wichita Falls
    First, truth in advertising: I have 21 years in the Army via active duty, National Guard, and Reserves. All opinions expressed here are solely mine.

Personally, I believe mandatory service is a horrible idea. I think it would cause more disciplinary issues than it would solve. The force should stay a voluntary force. But I do believe that there are things that can be done to make service more appealing to individuals. For instance, military salary should be tax free whether you are deployed or not. Additionally, if you serve 20 years your retirement pay should also be tax free.

I also believe that America should (for once) emulate France and their model of the Foreign Legion. I believe this could both help with recruiting goals, and with the immigration problem. Like France, make citizenship automatic after a certain period of time, as long as your service was honorable and you learn English. It gives immigrants a trade, and will help build a "Value of citizenship".

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    How are youths of today any different from the slackers of the 70's, or 50's or 30's? There are plenty of conservative youths with their heads on straight. The difference is modern youths have a voice in the form of social media. Those are who people focus on it seems. There are an abundance of old timer democrats. Who do you think raised the modern generation?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    How are youths of today any different from the slackers of the 70's, or 50's or 30's? There are plenty of conservative youths with their heads on straight. The difference is modern youths have a voice in the form of social media. Those are who people focus on it seems. There are an abundance of old timer democrats. Who do you think raised the modern generation?

I am not for sure there is a big difference, but it does seem more prevalent with many of the younger generations of current times, than those of the same age in years past.

That is strictly an opinion and an impression.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I am not for sure there is a big difference, but it does seem more prevalent with many of the younger generations of current times, than those of the same age in years past.

That is strictly an opinion and an impression.
    Most people tend to focus on the bad things going on rather than the good. The Military is flooded right now. They have more than enough volunteers and are very selective. That's mostly a good thing. People are trying to sign up by the masses. Many want to serve, but may be unable.

There are also a lot more youths today then ever before. People breed like pigs. I bet if you could truly poll the youths of today it would show a massive silent majority are in some way patriotic. It just not popular for those to speak about it now, so they don't.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Most people tend to focus on the bad things going on rather than the good. The Military is flooded right now. They have more than enough volunteers and are very selective. That's mostly a good thing. People are trying to sign up by the masses. Many want to serve, but may be unable.

There are also a lot more youths today then ever before. People breed like pigs. I bet if you could truly poll the youths of today it would show a massive silent majority are in some way patriotic. It just not popular for those to speak about it now, so they don't.

Excellent points Trey. You being quite a bit younger than I, you are seeing a different perspective than I do. I do hope there is a silent majority as you say. That would be much more a positive aspect o to my current view of today's youth.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Overall, it's a bad idea. The military doesn't need people who don't want to serve, and there are enough of those. I did 25 years in uniform, and have been a defense contractor for the past 14, so "I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two!"

However, I do support the idea of voluntary community service.

If you haven't already, read William F. Buckley Jr.'s book Gratitude: Reflections on What We Owe to Our Country, which renewed his call for a year of voluntary national service for young people eighteen and over, in areas such as health, day care, and the environment, to strengthen their feeling and appreciation for their nation. In return, participants would get training and educational benefits.

As one person reviewed it, "Well written (no surprise to Buckley enthusiasts!!!), well reasoned and logically developed, Buckley calls us to joyful, greater service to the place we call home, because we have been so richly blessed by virtue of our birth and citizenship."

Highly recommended!

Top Bottom