• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Curious what y’all think about manufactured homes vs building? I’m getting closer to making a decision but not thrilled with the quality of what’s being made. Next week I’ll look at Clayton then the week after look at palm harbor.

Manufactured homes are getting better from what I’m told but also more expensive. At the price of some I can’t help think I’d be better off trying to get a traditional home loan and build what we want. Down side to that is I’m in a hurry and lead time/down payment is greater. With a manufactured home I can put five percent down and have a cheaper payment.

When I got my land I had the idea to live cheaper. I’m married. Toss that idea into the shitter. It’s like she needs to make me poor. Stupid hgtv. Anyway...not what this is about.

Recommendations for manufactured homes?
    al_bundy-funny-werid-e1546618810862-768x569.jpg

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Look @ their resale value!
    And the lose value way faster and at a much higher percentage when a down turn comes.

I'm not saying I would ever buy one but it would have to be a specific narrow set of particulars and with eyes wide open.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    In the same boat, leaning towards the barndo myself, have not been impressed with the quality of the manufactured homes
    So I was looking at cheaper brands and the rep tells me they have a siding much more durable than vinyl. It’s got some fancy gimmick name. Go look at it and it looks like t1-11. Am I missing something? They act like they discovered fire.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I had a Palm Harbor for a while, a couple plus decades ago, and while it wasn't necessarily cheap, I wouldn't have called it really well built either. If I woulda' held out a bit longer, I would have built a metal building on my own land. I would have had a lot more control of what's what and where that way. And at the time, it would have cost less and been an actual investment, instead of an immediate loss.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I used to do mobile homes.
    Clayton and Palm Harbor will probably want your land for collateral too. They almost always do.
    There are things to look for and things to pass on. If you seriously consider one, PM me for a phone number and I'll tell you what to look and look out for.
    They won't gain in value, but they don't have to lose value either.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You have to look but there used to be a couple places that would build custom ones as well.
    One thing most people don't take in to account, they have to be mobile. Which means flexible to a point.if set right and tied down right, they are nearly as strong as a site built home because they are still a little flexible.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Manufactured houses, or "mobile homes" can range in price and quality. Their advantage is time in getting them set up and able to move in and live in them. It's been some years since my last one I bought when married to ex-wife #2, so some things may have changed, but manufactured houses usually do depreciate in value, when a traditional built home can appreciate in value. Now I don't know about current standards or trends, as that may have changed since them. Something to consider and check into for sure.

Manufactured houses usually aren't as safe during very heavy storms or tornado's as a traditional home either, but they can be anchored and secured so that they are safer than many people realize. But it has to be done properly. Another thing here is to check out insurance on one as well. Some won't insure manufactured houses for certain things, unless certain conditions are met by the homeowner. Talk to your insurance agent.

The "barndo" route! Those can be built rather quickly as well, and are a great option. Advantages are time and money. Pay as you go, and finish out the interior as time and money allow. My father's current new house is how he went this time. Five years in and he still has yet to move in, but everything to date on the house is paid for. They have quite a few advantages over any manufactured house, and even traditional built houses. Way stronger than either in storms or tornado's for sure. Less chances of fire damage, and termites! You can go as mild or wild as your finances allow you to. I have seen several over the years, that unless you knew they started out as metal building, you would never know. I think the market has upticked here in building them as well.

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Isn't there a difference between manufactured (mobile) and modular (not mobile)?
    Modular can be built fairly quickly, although it seems floor plans are pretty much the same between the two.
    Mobile homes have a title....like a car......Modular homes have a deed....like a site built home.
    I have been looking at modular a bit, but honestly know very little. Whom can you trust.......seems like a lot of snake oil out there.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    I lived in a manufactured home when I moved out of my parents house when I was young. It was not well built. When I first moved to Texas I lived in a travel trailer. I would avoid both. They just depreciate too fast. I've also had horrible experiences with contractors. I would avoid that too. Buy something that's already done. Don't be knocking down walls and stuff. HGTV is the enemy. It doesn't ever go as smoothly in real life as it does on TV. If they showed what a pain in the ass all that work really was, Lowes and Home Depot wouldn't throw money at them.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    For the last 9 months or so, I've been selling bathroom remodeling services. Average week I go to between 8 and 12 homes. Maybe 1 in 10 are manufactured homes.

As others have said, no manufactured home appreciates. EVER. NEVER. EVER.

Doesn't matter how much they paid for it, they do nothing but decrease in value from day 1. Doesn't matter how much they paid for it, when it hits 10+ years old it creaks, rocks, and FEELS cheap- even the ones they paid almost $100k for less than 10 years ago.

For under $100k, you can do a badass barndo. On a slab. With rock/stone face/exterior walls. If you're willing to do a lot of the labor yourself, you can cut a big chunk of that price even further.

Check out the 'barndominium living' facebook page. LOTS of cool stuff, inspiration, and ideas.

Top Bottom