• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Huffines is on something (and I wish I knew what it was, as I'd like some too!) if he actually thinks he could accomplish the things he promises during his campaign. It's simply lip service to garner votes, and as he has yet to share on detail on how he actually plans to do any of it, he has zero chance of securing my vote.

West is similar in he's playing up to potential voters, but once again all I hear are empty promises in hopes of being elected. I honestly don't trust the guy, and his military service is no indication of how well he can lead the state.

I'm sticking with Abbott despite is shortfalls. His positive attributes and accomplishments far outweigh the missteps and mistakes he's made. He's a known entity and he done well as governor, much better than his predecessor.

Unfortunately, it's people like Huffines and West who will cause us to end up with someone like Beto in Austin! Yes, supporting Abbott does require some compromises; but given the alternatives he still remains by far the best candidate!
    Target Sports

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Unfortunately, it's people like Huffines and West who will cause us to end up with someone like Beto in Austin! Yes, supporting Abbott does require some compromises; but given the alternatives he still remains by far the best candidate!
    That's complete BS. It's the same kind of butter argument that we know is wrong on principle about the 2A.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Huffines is on something (and I wish I knew what it was, as I'd like some too!) if he actually thinks he could accomplish the things he promises during his campaign. It's simply lip service to garner votes, and as he has yet to share on detail on how he actually plans to do any of it, he has zero chance of securing my vote.
    The answer to the hand-wringing that there "aren't good ways to replace the property tax" etc... ad infinitum, is that if they are immoral, we need to work to find a way. Go to 36 minutes in...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The answer to the hand-wringing that there "aren't good ways to replace the property tax" etc... ad infinitum, is that if they are immoral, we need to work to find a way. Go to 36 minutes in...

Tax is tax. No matter what form, it is money out of my pocket. Government is going to raise the same amount of money from me either way.

At least I have a little influence over property taxes. Almost none if the tax moves to the state level.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Tax is tax. No matter what form, it is money out of my pocket. Government is going to raise the same amount of money from me either way.

At least I have a little influence over property taxes. Almost none if the tax moves to the state level.
    I'd argue that the property tax is uniquely immoral. It's either yours, or it's the state's, and the state shouldn't be able to take it from you if you don't pay. It goes back to the basic commandment, thou shalt not steal.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I'd argue that the property tax is uniquely immoral. It's either yours, or it's the state's, and the state shouldn't be able to take it from you if you don't pay. It goes back to the basic commandment, thou shalt not steal.

We basically pay for the right to rent land from the government.

We’re up in arms over what WLP did to the NRA’s coffers.

Meanwhile, we have a House and Senate full of people we supposedly vote for, who are raiding our country’s coffers in ways that are orders of magnitude worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So how do the services that a property owner receives get paid?

Is that immoral?

If you provide a service to someone, you expect to get paid don't you?

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Taxes: Does anyone really believe a legislator will vote to eliminate the way to fund their paychecks, the paychecks of teachers, government employees, government provided services such as police, firefighters, etc? What needs to be changed is HOW the tax rate is computed. Paying the government thousnds a month for the priveledge to "own" property? Really? Property appraisal and the rates are the key issues.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    So how do the services that a property owner receives get paid?

Is that immoral?

If you provide a service to someone, you expect to get paid don't you?
    What services, and do I have a choice to refuse them?
    No, I don't expect to get paid if I force my services on someone who doesn't want them.

alwho421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Bartlett
    Nothing like a sin tax to replace property taxes! Remember when the lottery was supposed to pay for things? Where does that money go? Probably hard to tell as it is the number one job of a government to disappear those dollars! Heck, legalize drugs, prostitution, et al. Then we would be in property owner heaven! ;-)
    If we'd legalize pot, prostitution and poker we'd fund the government forever.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    What services, and do I have a choice to refuse them?
    No, I don't expect to get paid if I force my services on someone who doesn't want them.
    Like having your streets/roads maintained? Police? Fire? Etc.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Like having your streets/roads maintained? Police? Fire? Etc.
    If I live in a mud hut at the ranch, have my own guns and food, and don't pay the fire and police, and don't go anywhere, they can take the ranch away? I'm sorry, but taxing the property itself means you really don't own it... and that's wrong. The state should not, and does not own my residence, except that people who argue for property tax essentially say the state does.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Huffines ads, "I will deport illegals". BS, just like no property tax. Voted today. Not for Huffines.
    They aren't BS, and did you know that there are actual plans to replace them???

What's BS is the "can't never could" attitude.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    They aren't BS, and did you know that there are actual plans to replace them???

What's BS is the "can't never could" attitude.
    There’s no legal way Texas can deport illegals. Eliminate property tax means an income tax. Standard politician lies.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    There’s no legal way Texas can deport illegals. Eliminate property tax means an income tax. Standard politician lies.
    Again, there were actual answers to your false allegations at the Lt Gov. forum even last week. Think you need to rethink the possibilities. Lack of imagination doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Top Bottom