• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amusement Park

Wednesday, June 17, 2009
    foxnews_story.gif

The family of a U.S. Marine is outraged after a Michigan amusement park insisted on charging the veteran admission to enter the park — despite his being a quadriplegic -- according to a newspaper report.
    Heather Lovell told the Grand Rapids Press that she had been at the park acting as a chaperone for a children's group, and her fiance, Joshua Hoffman, was just meeting up with her there briefly before she took him to his stepbrother's graduation.
    But even after she explained that Hoffman had been paralyzed in 2007 by a sniper's bullet in Iraq and is unable to speak, let alone go on rides, the park insisted both Hoffman and his nurse could not join her in the park without paying, Lovell told the Press
    "It was really just outrageous," she said. "He is not physically going on any rides."
    Michigan's Adventure General Manager Camille Jourden-Mark said park policy requires even non-participants to pay the admission fee.
    "We just can't be in a position of picking and choosing. We have grandparents (who pay admission) that come in our park every day that have no intention of ever going on a ride," she told the Grand Rapids Press.
    Jourden-Mark later offered the family complimentary passes for Hoffman and a guest, the Press reported. Lovell said she has not decided whether they will use the passes.

More:
    [url]http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/06/family_angry_when_paralyzed_ma.html[/URL]

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I was just about to post this. ..absolutely terrible!

Post up contact info if you get it. Someone's getting a disapproving email.

Got it: http://www.miadventure.com/contact.shtml

act Us <div id="textarea"> At Michigan's Adventure, we value the opinions of our guests.
    Use the information on this page if you have questions or comments about your visit.

Mailing Address
    Michigan's Adventure
    4750 Whitehall Rd
    Muskegon, MI 49445

Phone Numbers

231.766.3377 General Information 231.766.9959 Group Sales / Admissions 231.766.3804 Group Sales Fax 231.766.3377 Employment 231.766.3295 Human Resources Fax
    E-Mail Addresses

General Information

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    No wonder ... she didn't have to work for the job ...

From Wiki:

Purchase by Cedar Fair
    In 2001, Cedar Fair, the owner of Cedar Point, purchased the park from Roger Jourden. His daughter, Camille Jourden-Mark, was demoted from General Manager, a position she had occupied since 1988, and replaced with Larry Mackenzie. Mackenzie later left for Valleyfair at the end of the 2001 season. Camille Jourden-Mark was then reinstated as General Manager where she has remained since.

[url]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/camille-jourden-mark/12/620/637[/URL]

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It is truly a shame that people forget the sacrifices the brave men and women of our armed forces have made for their freedom. But I can hear their dribble now..."what's Iraq got to do with my freedoms?" they'd say... Asshats.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I hate to say this but it has nothing to do with the Marines, Iraq, riding rides or anything else but a business that has a policy (as I guarantee others do) and standing by it. They expected to walk up and get free entrance, bases on this story, because he's a Marine who is disabled.

If they expected an exception, they should have addressed it prior to showing up.

You can't fault them for holding true to fair and consistent business practices whether you agree with it or not. If they made an exception for him, they'd then be dealing with making exceptions for everyone that said they wouldn't be riding rides etc. etc.

It's a case of getting to our hearts and pride through him being a Marine that sacrificed everything and lost a lot of it to mask the real situation. They certainly could have made an exception but going by the fact that they ended up taking it to the media, you never know how they approached this and how the media spun it to get attention.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The young man gave himself to his country and paid a huge price.
    What is morally right is right!
    What is morally wrong is wrong!

When it comes to morals the business models needs to go out the window.
    That's part of whats wrong with this country right now - pursuit of the all mighty dollar regardless of what is morally right.

I am glad to see the press has covered this, and if they did spin it to put the park in a negative light well good.
    I'm tired of seeing our soldiers beat up in the media so when the media does finally support our troops I have to applaud.

Yes they got a e-mail and letter from me because I am an Angry American!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    JK is right tho. The family showed up looking for special treatment, and when they got none they threw a fit. I think they should have let him in for free just like every one else, but the company has it's policy.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The young man gave himself to his country and paid a huge price.
    What is morally right is right!
    What is morally wrong is wrong!

When it comes to morals the business models needs to go out the window.
    That's part of whats wrong with this country right now - pursuit of the all mighty dollar regardless of what is morally right.

+1!!! Screw all that company policy bullshit!!!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I hate to say this but it has nothing to do with the Marines, Iraq, riding rides or anything else but a business that has a policy (as I guarantee others do) and standing by it. They expected to walk up and get free entrance, bases on this story, because he's a Marine who is disabled.

If they expected an exception, they should have addressed it prior to showing up.

You can't fault them for holding true to fair and consistent business practices whether you agree with it or not. If they made an exception for him, they'd then be dealing with making exceptions for everyone that said they wouldn't be riding rides etc. etc.

It's a case of getting to our hearts and pride through him being a Marine that sacrificed everything and lost a lot of it to mask the real situation. They certainly could have made an exception but going by the fact that they ended up taking it to the media, you never know how they approached this and how the media spun it to get attention.

Flame suit on.........+1 on the above. It would be different if they had advertised some kind of special, or vets get in free policy but the business stuck to its policy, and for the family to just expect free admission well............

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    My opinion, should they have asked for it? Hell no... I have tried numerous times to turn down free drinks and meals while in uniform, it is uncomfortable to me. I do not do this for freebies... will I ask if there is a military discount? Yes, but do I expect it, hell no. I think both parties are out of line here to a degree, but most of the fault lies with the Marines girlfriend and family, I guarntee you this warrior expects nothing for free, and wants nothing for free. She wants the attention, "Oh, look at me, they are being so mean to my poor injured boyrfriend..." Ten to one he probably didnt even want to go to the damn amusement park. I have several VA disabled friends, and not a damn one of em wants anything. Now ones wife, thats a different story... she thinks she is entitled to it all because of her husbands sacrifice....

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    i agree, there is honor and there is entitlement derived from honor.

not everyone is appreciative of veterans or active military, and not everyone likes law enforcement...

some places give out free passes to LE/Military some make them pay like all the rest.

now, the ethics of the businesses that practice that are questionable, they are in it to make money no question, but would as a business like that, wouldn't it make sense to charge a 2-3 percent to the elderly/handicapped who aren't going to ride the rides and so forth....? the park still makes a little money from the entrance, they still buy the food/drinks/souvenirs in the park and have a good time...

hell put a blue wristband for the full price people, and a red one for the others, that way if a ride attendant sees it, they can pull them out of line and say you didn't pay, you can't ride...

i don't know why people won't question and stand up for their morals now days, it seems like confronting the truth and honesty went by the wayside...

Agreed but it is the business' decision to make, not the pissed off family members that show up looking for a freebie.

I think it would make a lot more sense to do the band thing, and give disabled and elderly a discount, but it is not my amusement park.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My opinion, should they have asked for it? Hell no... I have tried numerous times to turn down free drinks and meals while in uniform, it is uncomfortable to me. I do not do this for freebies... will I ask if there is a military discount? Yes, but do I expect it, hell no. I think both parties are out of line here to a degree, but most of the fault lies with the Marines girlfriend and family, I guarntee you this warrior expects nothing for free, and wants nothing for free. Se wants the attention, "Oh, look at me< they are being so mean to my poor injured boyrfriend..."

Damn your comfort If I see a man or woman in uniform eating at a resturant and I can afford it, I will have your waiter/waitress bring your parties check to my table. Don't like it, too damn bad.

Oh and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    OK, I'm jumpin back in here!

Quadriplegic former Marine Joshua Hoffman waited in a van at Michigan's Adventure, hoping to see fiancee Heather Lovell in the park for an hour or two.
    Intent - to see his fiancee. That's all folks, nothing more.
    Spend some time with a loved one in a fun and care free place.

But Lovell was told he would have to pay admission for Hoffman and the nurse tending to his medical needs.
    Parties involved that IMO should not have been charged.

According to Heather Lovell, she and Hoffman planned to rendezvous from their home near Middleville on May 29 at the Muskegon County park, before heading to Reed City for the high school graduation of Hoffman's stepbrother.
    Primary reason of meeting at park.

We just can't be in a position of picking and choosing. We have grandparents (who pay admission) that come in our park every day that have no intention of ever going on a ride. "It's not based on the level of participation."
    Pathetic GREED!!!
    Even charging grandparents full pop is BS.

No mater how you try to boil this down it comes down to money.

After they got caught in a news story it's "were are soooo sorry, here are some free pass's"

Granted the father in law should have called ahead and either made arrangements and if denied made alternate arrangements but as the story unfolded the reason for denial of entry was greed!

If I offended anyone one tuff.
    When it comes to the men and women that protect my freedom I am very passionate about the way in which society treats them - with honor, respect, gratitude and appreciation.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    OK, I'm jumpin back in here!

Intent - to see his fiancee. That's all folks, nothing more.
    Spend some time with a loved one in a fun and care free place.

Parties involved that IMO should not have been charged.

Primary reason of meeting at park.

Pathetic GREED!!!
    Even charging grandparents full pop is BS.

No mater how you try to boil this down it comes down to money.

After they got caught in a news story it's "were are soooo sorry, here are some free pass's"

Granted the father in law should have called ahead and either made arrangements and if denied made alternate arrangements but as the story unfolded the reason for denial of entry was greed!

If I offended anyone one tuff.
    When it comes to the men and women that protect my freedom I am very passionate about the way in which society treats them - with honor, respect, gratitude and appreciation.

And what is wrong with money? Their park their rules. Ultimately it comes down to this," We reserve the right to refuse service"

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    And what is wrong with money? Their park their rules. Ultimately it comes down to this," We reserve the right to refuse service"

Yes and in any other case I whole heatedly agree!!!

But like I said, when it comes to the men and women that protect the very freedom by which your business operates, then concessions should be made.

I'll give our troops more consideration than LE and I have a son in the army and a daughter that's a patrol LE in Memphis TN and a son-in-law that's a Marine. So I have family on both sides of the spectrum.

Many of these brave men and women don't go home at night, don't see family for months, are trapped in far away lands and why, because they feel they owe their country 1st and family second.

Call me what you wish but I sleep very soundly knowing that these men and women are doing their jobs and protecting me so I may live out my life in relative freedom.

Let me add this - if it were not for the fact the our armed forces are 100% voluntary then my view would differ some; but these men and women volunteered and deserve our respect and admiration for their service. LEO also deserves similar forms of respect but to a lesser degree.
    When they go to work in the morning they stand a better chance of coming home at night than many of our troops do. They wake from their own home; drive safely to work and go through the day not worried if around the next curve is an IED, machine gun crossfire, ect....relatively safe day being an LEO over a front line solider.

Trust me when I tell you this; my daughter patrols in the 6th worst city for cops in the USA and she fears for her little brothers’ life every day. She fears for her brother-in-laws life every day - some where in Afghanistan.

I'm not against making money but I am for these people making that money to show some patriotism and pride in our armed services.

Top Bottom