• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    icon_posticon.gif
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Posted - 06/02/2008 : 08:30:50[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/CA_Marines_War_Trophy_343897C.shtml

Marine heads to federal court in Iraq war trophy case
    By CHELSEA J. CARTER

The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO

A Marine sergeant accused of bringing home an AK-47 assault rifle as a war trophy from Iraq is headed to federal court to face charges he failed to properly register the weapon.

Jury selection was set to begin Monday in the trial of Sgt. Leonardo San Juan, who is charged with one felony count of possession of an unregistered firearm.

The charges stem from accusations that San Juan, 31, brought back the AK-47 with him more than two years ago from his service in Iraq, according to a grand jury indictment filed in U.S. District Court in San Diego.

"If you believe the allegation, all it is is a war trophy," said San Juan's attorney, Joseph Low. "It's not like he went out and committed a crime, shot it or had ammo in it."

Deborah Hartman, a spokeswoman for the U.S. District Attorney's Office, declined comment on the case.

San Juan, of El Paso, Texas, has pleaded innocent to the charge. If convicted, he faces up to three years in prison and a discharge from the Marine Corps for having a felony conviction.

War trophies, per se, are not illegal for troops to bring home. But they must be approved by U.S. Central Command, which oversees troop deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, before they are brought into the United States.

In recent years, a handful of troops have been prosecuted for possessing war trophies, such as antiques and weapons.

The case against San Juan began on June 25, 2006, when his fiance went to a gun range to learn how to shoot his .45 caliber handgun. At the range, a gun range safety officer attempted to show her how to use it but she struggled with the gun's slide and safety. When asked if she had access to another weapon that might be easier to use, she allegedly said she had "AKs in her garage," the indictment said.

The gun range safety officer then contacted law enforcement officials, who subsequently searched the garage and found the rifle stored in a plastic bin. It was later turned over to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for testing.

ATF agents, according to the indictment, traced the origins of the AK-47 from its manufacturing in Bulgaria to its distribution to the Iraqi National Force.

Because the rifle is a fully functional automatic weapon, prosecutors had to apply for a special waiver to bring the weapon to court to use as an exhibit in the case, according to court records.

Published: Monday, June 2, 2008 02:06 PDT
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]ZARASTER
    5th Generation TEXAN
    [/FONT]

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    First, this incident was in Calafornia. I am sure AK's may be illegal there.
    Second, if the weapon tested were select fire, then the Marine is probably done.
    Third it sounds like his girlfriend turned him over or the Range guy rolled on him.

Would his command aproved the AK47 as bring home?

plexreticle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    San Juan's attorney, Joseph Low. "It's not like he went out and committed a crime, shot it or had ammo in it."

He did commit a crime. If that is his defense then he's gonna get roasted in court.

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    thank you guys for some common sense, we all know that the military will not allow our military to bring back weapons today. this guy knew it and snuck it in anyway. sorry but that is the law. he broke it.

I love guns of any kind, and I think that being able to have fully auto guns would be great too. but the law says no unless certian things are done. it applies to all of us

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    icon_posticon.gif
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]...[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]When asked if she had access to another weapon that might be easier to use, she allegedly said she had "AKs in her garage," the indictment said.

The gun range safety officer then contacted law enforcement officials, who subsequently searched the garage and found the rifle stored in a plastic bin. It was later turned over to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for testing.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

...Wow... Ok guys, I'd like to publicly announce that I'm selling all my fire-arms through private sales. Cash, of course. Therefore I no longer own any firearms.

Meine Papieren, gewährt mir zu darstallest dich.

Top Bottom