Market Hall gun show

Discussion in 'Events' started by Fishhog, Jun 10, 2018.

1. avvidclif

avvidclif Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I don't go for the dealers, as far as I care they could stay home. I'm there looking for individuals buying and selling, thinning the herd, or whatever. It seems those have gone way down......

toddnjoyce likes this.
  2. seeker_two

seeker_two Well-Known

Jul 1, 2008
    I gave up on big-city gun shows a long time ago. The shows in medium-to-small cities like Tyler, Waco, & Bryan tend to have better selections and prices. Plus, the people tend to be nicer at the smaller shows.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Sep/Nov are the best MH shows.

It will take a Dem and threat of AWB to fill MH hall. Maybe if Lupe gets elected in Nov, the Nov show will be packed.

Nov/2008 show when Obama was elected was insane, as was the Jan/2013 show after Sandy Hook.

deemus likes this.
  4. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Actually it’s the exact opposite.

The FOPA passed in the 80s permits dealers to make transfers away from their licensed premises. This allowed dealers and more importantly, distributors, to sell at shows.

Distributors began competing directly with their LGS customers, whom they can undercut. I remember not long after the law passed, I’d walk in to a show and see table after table of new guns.

This has driven LGS to the brink of extinction.

Now the internet has cut in to the gun show’s business. Why bother going to a show when you can find exactly what you want online, probably for less money?

I was an FFL operating out of my home from 1987 to 1996, when Slick Willy jacked up the renewal fees 2000% and started requiring fingerprints. However, there’s still plenty of home-based FFLs who seem to do alright by doing little more than transfers on internet sales.

It would be nice if there were “non-dealer” shows, more of a swap meet.

But I, for one, would not care to be standing behind a table when the TV news crew shows up and declares on camera that I’m an unlicensed dealer selling unlicensed guns and exploiting the “gun show loophole” and selling guns and cop-killer bullets to criminals and kids and crazy people and, uh, criminals kids...

RIP, gun shows.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018