Join TexasGunTalk

Market Hall gun show

Discussion in 'Events' started by Fishhog, Jun 10, 2018.

1. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I don't go for the dealers, as far as I care they could stay home. I'm there looking for individuals buying and selling, thinning the herd, or whatever. It seems those have gone way down......

majormadmax and toddnjoyce like this.
  2. seeker_two

seeker_two Well-Known

Jul 1, 2008
    I gave up on big-city gun shows a long time ago. The shows in medium-to-small cities like Tyler, Waco, & Bryan tend to have better selections and prices. Plus, the people tend to be nicer at the smaller shows.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Sep/Nov are the best MH shows.

It will take a Dem and threat of AWB to fill MH hall. Maybe if Lupe gets elected in Nov, the Nov show will be packed.

Nov/2008 show when Obama was elected was insane, as was the Jan/2013 show after Sandy Hook.

deemus likes this.
  4. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Actually it’s the exact opposite.

The FOPA passed in the 80s permits dealers to make transfers away from their licensed premises. This allowed dealers and more importantly, distributors, to sell at shows.

Distributors began competing directly with their LGS customers, whom they can undercut. I remember not long after the law passed, I’d walk in to a show and see table after table of new guns.

This has driven LGS to the brink of extinction.

Now the internet has cut in to the gun show’s business. Why bother going to a show when you can find exactly what you want online, probably for less money?

I was an FFL operating out of my home from 1987 to 1996, when Slick Willy jacked up the renewal fees 2000% and started requiring fingerprints. However, there’s still plenty of home-based FFLs who seem to do alright by doing little more than transfers on internet sales.

It would be nice if there were “non-dealer” shows, more of a swap meet.

But I, for one, would not care to be standing behind a table when the TV news crew shows up and declares on camera that I’m an unlicensed dealer selling unlicensed guns and exploiting the “gun show loophole” and selling guns and cop-killer bullets to criminals and kids and crazy people and, uh, criminals kids...

RIP, gun shows.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. 45Jim

45Jim New Member

Sep 10, 2014
    North Texas
    I have been going to Market Hall since the 70's. You guys are right M.H. is going down and fast. I am a WWII C&R axis pistol collector and there is not much there anymore. Back in the 70's it was great. Now just AR stuff and plastic framed pistols along with the jingle bobs and doo dads. It seems that the dealers are way over priced and are looking for that ONE sale by fleecing the unaware buyer. Not much fun anymore. It is not just Market Hall either....it is all the gun shows!

MTA89 likes this.
  6. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

One of the problems is prices on milsurp.
    Back in the day milsurp cost peanuts compared to new.
    I’m 59. I can remember 1903A3’s new in the wrap for $200 when a new Remchester 7000 was $400. Ww2 1911’s for $300 and a new 1911 Colt was $500.
    Nowadays its flipped.
    New stuff is still affordable but old milsurp, especially US milsurp, is nucking futs.
    Just the other day I saw a British Enfield No.4 marked $900. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Hory Clap!
    Young folks can’t even afford to look at the things.

MTA89 and TheEnglishman like this.
  7. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Right on. I'm shocked those $60 SKS rifles are now $600. $99 Mosin Nagants are $400.

toddnjoyce and Moonpie like this.
  8. Moonpie

Yep.
    Remember when the Swedish Mausers came in?
    You could get one for <$200.
    Priced one lately? Sheeesh.....have you even SEEN one lately?

9. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The decline in gun shows has been obvious, and I don't go nearly as much as I used to but there is still always the possibility of that rare deal on something that I just can't live without! It doesn't happen often but on occasion I stumble across that one item that makes it all worth while!

Here in S.A. it was decent for a while when Premier was still doing their show; but since they left and we are basically left with SAXET (same stuff every time) and a few other smaller shows that are simply not worth the time, cost or effort, I am down to going to one or two shows a year. Yes, online sales probably took the biggest bite out of gun show's ass but I still contend it is more desirable to be able to see, smell and hold a firearm before buying it. Dealers also know that once you have it in your hands your more likely to buy it. Plus, you don't have to deal with the time and costs of transferring it.

The gun industry is also partially to blame, they've exploited every opportunity to jack prices up through fear tactics. For eight years we heard "Obama is going to take your guns away!" but alas it never happened. Every mass shooting is a chance to scare people into panic buys, then a few months later the buyers are back at the show trying to recoup their loss with little success. Despite claims to the contrary, the gun industry's biggest concern is how much money it can squeeze out of firearms enthusiasts no different than the NFL.

Sorry for the tirade, I miss the days of exciting and enjoyable gun shows. I used to go to one or two a month, but these days I have found better things to do with my time. I occasionally get enticed by memories of those aforementioned rare deals, but in reality they are getting more and more rarer. It's pretty easy to turn off the alarm clock and enjoy a sleep in instead...

toddnjoyce, deemus and orbitup like this.
  10. Moonpie

I agree with you MMM.
    What amazes me is how stubborn some of those gun guys can be.
    I know of one gunshow dealer who has been toting the exact same pistol to the shows for YEARS. He absolutely will NOT come off the price. I’ve tried. Now I know he has all of about $100 in it but by God it WILL sell for $800.
    He has draggng that same gun to the shows for damn near ten years. The stupid of it is it is a $250 gun on a perfect day.

majormadmax likes this.