Join TexasGunTalk

Marlin 60 for First Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Dancing Heretik, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Look, for that kind of money, buy the Marlin. Even if you buy a fancier rifle in the future, you never know when that Model 60 might come in handy.

I have a Model 60 and the Ruger 10/22. Honestly, they both shoot great. The 10/22 has more cool options with the stock and such, but trust me, the 60 is a wonderful .22.

Everyone should have a .22 - not just as a starter, but it's a wonderful target rifle that is super cheap to shoot. It's tough to do a lot of practice with a .300 Weatherby Magnum, at $3 a round and a painful shoulder to look forward to. But you can shoot all day with a .22 and not even burn up all your lunch money. In order to get good at shooting, you have to do a lot of shooting and a .22 makes that easy and fun.

Sam7sf, Southpaw, ZX9RCAM and 4 others like this.
  2. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Fiidqel.jpg Save your money & buy an AR-15 lower with a CMMG dedicated upper. Not a AR style .22, but a true AR15. This gives you more option down the road when you ready for a centerfire rifle. I have not even pull a .22 pistol or rifle out of the safe since assembling my dedicated .22 upper. Originally it was built for my M16, but I have since put together an AR pistol lower. Suppressed, 50 round drum & MRDS its fun as hell fuul auto or semi.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Buy the Marlin
    Buy the Ruger
    You now have both
    Problem solved

4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Dfw metromess.
    For the price, buy it. It you have to replace a few things no big deal. Good guns.

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  5. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Finicky? I've watched a bunch of reviews. I didn't see anything about it being finicky. What do you mean?
    I like the idea of the tube magazine. Not good for quick tactical reloads. But, great for not having to carry a bunch of extra magazines. Just clean and simple.

And, I don't care for customizing any more than necessary. I like authentic and original whenever possible. Maybe once I have a simple old-fashioned rifle, I might get the urge for something more fancy (and expensive).
    I think I will.
    I'll make sure to try it out first. Thanks.

Southpaw likes this.
  6. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll find out the year in just a few more hours.
    When I looked at reviews, I was surprised. It seems this is the all American 22 rifle. Or it was, unitl the 10/22 came out.

7. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Wait a minute! Not made for adults?

8. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Yup. It does seem to be a good way to 'dip my toe' into owning rifles.

Now, I need to see if I can find GOOD 22 LR ammo that's even cheaper than mini mags.

BuzzinSATX likes this.
  9. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Done. It's mine. It was manufactured in 1988.

kbaxter60, Dred, Hoji and 8 others like this.
  10. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    The comb is too high.

Dancing Heretik likes this.