• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Done. It's mine. It was manufactured in 1988.

Nice. i do believe mine was made in '86. Like I said, the older models were very reliable up to the late '90s, then they started to slump off. In 2007, Remington acquired Marlin and the Model 60 took an even bigger nose dive. The Model 60 isn't all that hard to take apart, there are a lot of videos out there, just watch a few to see how it's done. I have never taken apart trigger group, just removed the bolt for a good cleaning. I just spray down the trigger group with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and re-lube, same with the bolt. I do this once a year depending on how much I shoot it, sometimes twice a year. Other than that, I just spray bolt with CLP and wipe off excess without taking it apart and run a bore snake through it a few times.
    Guns International

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    For the price it's a great rifle, and at that price if you do decide to get a 10/22 later, I wouldn't feel bad about having both.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    pics or GTFO.
    Here you go. Click to see a big picture.

Marlin_60_full.sized.jpg

Attachments

• Marlin_60_full.sized.jpg
      Marlin_60_full.sized.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 271

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    For $100 you can't go wrong with the Marlin. Even if you end up with a 10-22, the Marlin will still be around to shoot. I have two 10-22s, a Rem 597 and a couple others. But I still shoot my Marlin 81 regularly. I literally shot hundreds of critters with that gun.

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    The model 60 was also my first firearm, couldn't guess how many rounds went through it as my spending money went for ammo and had plenty of land to shoot and hunt. The only time the rifle faltered was with a box of crappy ammo. When it would get so dirty the action started slowing, a spray with lube kept it going until the next cleaning.

StamblinRanger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2019
    Burnet, TX
    I will be 60 later this year and I bought my Marlin 60 when I was 18 and still have it. All three of my boys learned to shoot with it. It has had so many thousands of rounds shot through it I have no idea how to even guess. I paid $39 new for mine and also paid $39 for a Kmart Focal 4x scope for it. With that scope on that rifle I won nearly every competition I ever shot it in. That is a fact. No other rifle anyone had could compete. We had a hunting club back in the day and met every month for a meeting and then hit the range for a couple hours before heading home. Did this for years, shotguns, big game rifles, pistols, always some kind of competition to make it fun for everyone. That gun will shoot. We would shoot for a couple bucks each going to the winner. Paid for that gun several times...
    I was on the way to a club meeting and stopped to pick up some ammo at a small gun shop in S. Austin. Richard, who owned a range west of town was working there and I asked if they had any "match grade" 22LR ammo? He asked what I was shooting it through and I said my Marlin 60. He snorted and said those are disposable guns! I think I bought some ammo, don't remember for sure, and left.
    A month or so later I was out at his range shooting with my boys. I had a target at 50 yds that had about a 2" black dot in the middle that I was meticulously tearing out the black paper from the middle with my Marlin, no other holes in the paper but the black center, and he stopped the range to go put out some new paper. When he walked out he walked right past my target and I watched him stare at it. On the way back he was staring at it again and when he got up to us he asked who's target that was and said that's real good shooting. I showed him that old Marlin and told him it was the "disposable gun" he had commented on a few weeks ago. He didn't say much after.

Ask any of my boys and they'll tell you they've had more fun with that rifle than any other gun I own. Good memories.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You may want to inspect the hammer and recoil buffer. The older marlins have "rabbit ear hammers" which can break, and recoil buffers can be worn and cracked. If you are comfortable detail stripping your gun its not too difficult to replace

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    My first rifle was a Glenfield/Marlin 20. I still have it I have redone the stock. was going to reblue it but will probably Cerakote it as they have some good blue like colors. I say buy the marlin and shoot it. You can find parts on the interwebs.

Top Bottom