• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Hi folks - seems that with every Marlin / Glenfield model 60 semi-auto .22 I've owned, the recoil spring guide rod is the absolute worst. Probably made of soft steel, they deform rather quickly and cause cycling issues because the bolt block can't slide correctly. I'm sure the rockwell hardness of the OEM guide rod is the same as a hot dog......;-) (I hope I'm not the only person that has experienced this. Beating them back into form and submission is just not working for me).

The question: Has anyone found an aftermarket guide rod made from stainless steel or tool steel? If not, I'm off to the machine shop to have one made. Thanks.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Interesting - a quick google search turned up lots of companies that carry replacement springs, but they are all out of stock. I suspect that more than a few people have had problems. Brownells has the entire tube for $25. The springs usually go for $9 at most places. UPDATE: on a whim, I looked at Wolff Springs. (They make the best, in my opinion.) They have tubular magazine springs for $6. Shortcut to Wolff tubular spring page.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Welcome to TGT.

Personally, I have never replaced the guide rod in my Marlin Model 60. I have replaced the buffer numerous times though. Mine was manufactured in about 1980 or 1981, and has had many thousands of rounds shot through it. Maybe your's is just defective?

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Interesting - a quick google search turned up lots of companies that carry replacement springs, but they are all out of stock. I suspect that more than a few people have had problems. Brownells has the entire tube for $25. The springs usually go for $9 at most places. UPDATE: on a whim, I looked at Wolff Springs. (They make the best, in my opinion.) They have tubular magazine springs for $6. Shortcut to Wolff tubular spring page.

Yes, I can find springs, buffers, darn near everything else...other than an OEM guide rod (or plunger) sold on Ebay or gun Parts Corp they are all the same soft steel. Hoping to find one in stainless, tungsten, tool steel...something harder. Thanks for the reply.

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Welcome to TGT.

Personally, I have never replaced the guide rod in my Marlin Model 60. I have replaced the buffer numerous times though. Mine was manufactured in about 1980 or 1981, and has had many thousands of rounds shot through it. Maybe your's is just defective?

IDK.....I've had the same issue with 3 different Marlin 60's over the years.....:-( just hoping someone has had a connect with an aftermarket rod the is better

It's easy enough to remove and true up a bit, just a PIA every 1000 rounds or so.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Reinstall the spring with a short split soda straw around it. Don't bend it. Remove the plastic. reassemble. Problem solved. The rod bends cause you bend it when installing the spring.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yes, I can find springs, buffers, darn near everything else...other than an OEM guide rod (or plunger) sold on Ebay or gun Parts Corp they are all the same soft steel. Hoping to find one in stainless, tungsten, tool steel...something harder. Thanks for the reply.

Maybe buy a spare and try tempering it yourself?
    Pretty simple I'd think.
    Heat the rod with a MAP gas torch to just barely red.
    Quench in an oil bath.
    Then re-polish the rod using some very fine emory paper.

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Maybe buy a spare and try tempering it yourself?
    Pretty simple I'd think.
    Heat the rod with a MAP gas torch to just barely red.
    Quench in an oil bath.
    Then re-polish the rod using some very fine emory paper.

Hence why I joined the forum....great idea I hadn't thought of! Thumbs up on an easy solution!

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Reinstall the spring with a short split soda straw around it. Don't bend it. Remove the plastic. reassemble. Problem solved. The rod bends cause you bend it when installing the spring.

Thanks for that. I'm always extremely careful when changing recoil springs, however, I'm not saying that hasn't happened. I'd just like to avoid the whole darn issue with a harder rod. I'm going to try the tempering thing. I'll post successes / failures...lol

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX

Attachments

• Marlin 60 guide rod no. 47.JPG
      Marlin 60 guide rod no. 47.JPG
      2.1 KB · Views: 110

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Hence why I joined the forum....great idea I hadn't thought of! Thumbs up on an easy solution!

I'd do this in a dark area. You want to just get the rod dull orange. In a darkened area its easier to see the glow.

FYI: that is why old time blacksmith shops were kinda dark.
    It was so the smith could see the temp of the metal better when tempering something.

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    I'd do this in a dark area. You want to just get the rod dull orange. In a darkened area its easier to see the glow.

FYI: that is why old time blacksmith shops were kinda dark.
    It was so the smith could see the temp of the metal better when tempering something.

Gotcha! Thanks for that!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    #47 guide rod - new style

Numrich must be using a different schematic. Part #47 on theirs, is a takedown screw, rear. But the picture of the part you posted is the recoil spring guide, which is the part I was referring to.

According the part numbers, the part number is the same from the "Old" style Model 60 to the "New" style Model 60. If you decide you want to try an OEM part to replace yours.

Top Bottom