Hurley's Gold

Mason County courthouse destroyed by fire.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Would he have gotten 75 years for torching a crackhouse?
    Probably not but...

(I dont know if the quote is real)
    3969dfdd6503086d45f6df445166dad8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    TGT members quoting Nietzsche? That's different.

How is it that a building that size didn't have a fire suppression system? Yes, it's old, but sprinklers have been in use for a long time.
    Fire sprinklers are not mandated in many building codes even today. The courthouse was built in a time when fire departments were against fire sprinklers. The water discharge forces smile down and the firemen could not see to fight the fire. Fire sprinklers are a rarity in Europe

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Did they ever confirm his motive for setting the fire?

All I was able to find was this...

"I asked (Mason County Judge Jerry) Bearden about the man he’d refer to only as “the suspect.” Nicholas Jarret Miller, 41, was arrested Friday in McLennan County after a slow-speed chase. He’s being held on several charges, including arson and evading arrest.

“This young man, we knew his family forever,” Bearden said. “He went to school with my daughter. Same age. He had a lot more advantages than some of the kids had. They had some issues with the family. And we had a family here in Mason take him in. … For three years he lived with them. He had everything that you would want.

“But you can’t really blame it on his upbringing, because he had the opportunity to be a success,” the judge said. “But he went down the wrong path somewhere.” He referred to a live video the suspect had on Facebook during the chase. “It’s a shame that he took out his anger on our courthouse,” Bearden said. “But you can’t explain those things.”

He tried, saying the suspect’s “anger over a pending child custody case initiated this outburst.” Whatever it was, that part of this tragedy now is in prosecutors’ hands. Bearden is focused on the courthouse." (Source)

Allegedly Miller was also responsible for a house fire on the same night.

Doesn't really matter, he's lucky he's not hanging on the end of the rope like he would have been in the good ol' days!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've heard that it's not unusual to find that an arsonist is on the fire department. They have an actual sickness about fire. I remember hearing an arson investigator saying that they sometimes check nearby cars during a suspicious fire because they sometimes find the arsonist 'pleasuring' himself there.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Hate? No!

Hey, I got stuck having to sit through an episode of The View today in a doctor's waiting room. Now THAT was hate! It's just that on TGT we are used to seeing more quotes from South Park than from dead philosophers.

Tell ‘em to change the channel. Wouldn’t have sat thru that without stroking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Yep, went through there last May and ate at Cooper's BBQ!
    The Mason Coopers is the original. A number of years ago my wife and I and another couple took a Coopers BBQ ride and ate at the Coopers in Llano, then ate at the Coopers in Mason and finished it off at the Coopers in Junction. I think most of the other Coopers that are in business today were not in business at that time. Was about 2000 to 2002? we took the ride. Later we rode up to Mason and stayed in a B&B that had a covered wagon turned into a bed and my wife and I did tourist and she found the junk (antique) shops were almost all closed on Sunday. Mason is a nice little town.

BTW: That alleged arsonist didn't act like he wanted to get shot. Told Leos that he had a weapon and gave up with hands in the air. I also couldn't figure out why the DPS spokesman was wearing a covid mask. Must have been 25 Leo cars in pursuit.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    One of the links said that the old Mason County Courthouse had a couple of big grants and one of the things they had intended to do was add fire suppression systems. It hadn't happened yet.

Top Bottom