The silos in west would be filled one day and empty the next. There was much talk about them not reporting the amount of AN they had on site, but it was nothing more than media fodder since by the time the reported amount was documented the silos would be empty again.From what I remember, the facility in West hadn't been inspected in some years. I think IIRC, it had sort of fallen through the cracks for inspections. That doesn't negate the responsibility in any way for what happened though.
And here is my standing on that. In many industries, there are inherent dangers that go with them. Whether someone is looking over our shoulder and inspecting our procedures, or not, it's still the responsibility of everyone involved to monitor safety procedures and make sure they are being followed at all times. From the top, all the way to the bottom.
The silos in west would be filled one day and empty the next. There was much talk about them not reporting the amount of AN they had on site, but it was nothing more than media fodder since by the time the reported amount was documented the silos would be empty again.
It’s a matter of regulation not really aligning with reality, which isn’t uncommon.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not a big OSHA fan, so this doesn’t bother me too terribly much. I also don’t think it really relates to the cause of the explosion in West which IIRC was a guy who decided to smoke where he shouldn’t.I found this about the explosion, and the OSHA inspections. Last inspection was in 1985!
At the time of the incident, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) had last inspected the plant in 1985. According to records obtained by the Associated Press, OSHA cited the plant for improper storage of anhydrous ammonia and fined it $30. OSHA could have fined the company as much as $1,000. OSHA also cited the plant for violations of respiratory protection standards, but did not impose a fine. OSHA officials said the facility was not on their "National Emphasis Plan" for inspections, because it was not a manufacturer, had no record of a major accident, and the Environmental Protection Agency did not consider it a major risk