• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have an old mauser style action rifle that my grandfather was building but never got to finish. I've been thinking about finishing project lately. My question is the gun/barrell is chambered for .30-06 if i change the barrell do i have to change anything else to make it fire .308 rounds.
    ARJ Defense ad

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I have an old mauser style action rifle that my grandfather was building but never got to finish. I've been thinking about finishing project lately. My question is the gun/barrell is chambered for .30-06 if i change the barrell do i have to change anything else to make it fire .308 rounds.

No need to change anything else. The Mauser action is controlled feed so the shorter length cartridge will feed. But why change?? The '06 can be hand loaded to out perform the factory loadings.

Make sure a qualified 'smith head spaces it properly.

BTW, you can have any cartridge you wish as long as it has the same cartridge head as the '06. If you go to belted magnums etc., the bolt face will have to be altered.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Thanks i haven't looked at it in a long time so i'm not sure but it may allready have the spacing set will get that checked. Only reason for the .308 is that i already have a fn chambered in 06 so wanted something a lil diff.

Top Bottom