Maverick 88 a good first gun?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by MuscleCarMan, Nov 12, 2017.

1. topduarte

topduarte Active Member

Feb 27, 2017
    It is a great first shotgun. I got mine for under $200

2. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'd recommend getting a .22 rifle as a first gun, but yeah the Maverick 88 is a good enough shotgun. I've got one; works fine, and made in Texas!

My favorite pumps are the Winchesters, however... You can find used Winchesters for the price of new Maverick 88s.

TheEnglishman likes this.
  3. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Agree with Dan (world shakes) on first gun except you should get both - a .22 rifle or pistol and a shotgun. Also agree on the Winchester over the Maverick.

Dave70 and TheDan like this.
  4. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    But y'all don't say why.... it does depend on a few things- if you're looking for home protection, then by all means a 12ga is great first gun- very versatile using different loads, and plenty of power in a relatively small package (with a 18.5" barrel)... it can also be used to hunt a variety of game, from birds to medium game.

But for learning fundmentals, imho a .22 rifle is better for your first gun for a couple reasons that I think on right of the top of my head...
    1) marksmanship fundamentals- any shotgun isn't going to be very accurate to 100yds (regardless of craftsmanship, smoothbore isn't stabilized like a rifle bullet. 20yds it will be great, but if you want to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship, closing your groups and getting rounds on target, then a simple .22lr will better help due to inherently better accuracy at 100yds... plus you can get more practice due to:
    2) lower cost ammo... now that the greatest gun salesman of all time is out of office, you can get .22lr for .05/rd... and more practice is not only more fun, it also will help you become a better shooter.

So depending on your goals, a .22lr MAY be a better first gun... but we don't know your situation or goals.

Whatever your first choice is, the other is likely your best second choice... when you start shooting handguns, you'll find they are very different from long guns.

5. easy rider

easy rider TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ruger 10/22 is fun gun at the range.

6. black_ice

black_ice New Member

Jan 14, 2017
    First what is your budget? Second question is do you have any other guns that your parents have bought you? 3rd question is do you have any experience shooting any particular guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MuscleCarMan

MuscleCarMan Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Texas
    I don't really want to spend more than $300. And no my parents don't own any guns, they never have. Im the only one that likes guns in my family. I want one for home defense and just to enjoy(we have 2 acres) Once I have my own house I will get an ar15 if they aren't banned by then. *~* And no I've never shot a gun before, although I did get to hold a cheap handgun for a couple of seconds. I am probably going to buy myself a gun for Christmas.

8. MuscleCarMan

MuscleCarMan Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, I would like to know about ammo... Is it going to cost a fortune? I don't have that much money saved up.

9. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Forest Country
    This fact makes it difficult to recommend for you a 12 gauge shotgun.

You need experience operating these machines. I am a self-defense instructor. High numbers of repetitions is far better than low. Guns are like motorcycles. You don't just jump on one for the first time and dive into city traffic without training and practice in a safe environment first.

A .22 rifle will provide you with far more self-defense training repetitions because the ammunition is so much cheaper than for a shotgun. (loading, unloading, safety on/off, sight use, safe shooting, etc.)

I swear if you put an ad on your local Craigslist farm and ranch section saying "I am 18 and need someone to show me how to operate my new .22. Please help.", someone will step up to help you.

You can buy a shotgun later.

10. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I agree with most of what's said here. .22 would be my recommendation as well.. You can get a Ruger 10/22 or SW MP15-22 for less than 300 dollars if you know where to look.