• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Just posting this as info and to see what other methods reloaders use to determine seating depth starting points when developing loads.

The MAX OAL does not come from a manual, it comes from Your rifle. The Max OAL listed in manuals is for Ammo manufacturers, not the handloader. The handloader should Know the Max OAL for his or her rifle with a particular bullet as different bullets will have different Max OAL. The Hornady tool is a great way to measure OAL if you want to spend the money on it. ( it's not terribly expensive) You can do it without the various tool though. Also note that Max OAL can also mean "fit into the mag".

Nolser doesn't even list an OAL in their manuals, they instruct the handloader to find their own Max OAL . ( click on pic to enlarge )

11012-max-coal-determining-bullet-seating-depth-nosler.jpg
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• Nosler.jpg
      Nosler.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 152

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I used the method described in the Hornady manual as depicted above. I also used the felt pen to "prove" the rounds from different lots of bullets.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Caution: While there is value in the above and things like fitting in a magazine and feeding are important, seating bullets deeper then the "book value" can increase pressure.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Caution: While there is value in the above and things like fitting in a magazine and feeding are important, seating bullets deeper then the "MIN book value" can increase pressure.

Very good point to consider, but this is thread is about Increasing the length, not seating deeper than MIN. I agree, never seat below MIN unless you want trouble. Not trying to be pissy or anything, but I want to clarify so that there's no confusion for someone new to reloading or new to rifle loading. "book value" is relative; Be sure of what Min and Max values are and what "values" the book is stating.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Not taken as pissy, I am sure you are aware of that, I know we are talking about going longer, and I posted under the same mindframe as your last one. I am all for what you have posted, I just don't want any new reloaders getting into trouble because they have this great idea about shortening the OAL since someone with experience implied that OAL is up to the reloader. Its not what you meant, I just want to keep newbies safe.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Not taken as pissy, I am sure you are aware of that, I know we are talking about going longer, and I posted under the same mindframe as your last one. I am all for what you have posted, I just don't want any new reloaders getting into trouble because they have this great idea about shortening the OAL since someone with experience implied that OAL is up to the reloader. Its not what you meant, I just want to keep newbies safe.

Now lets hope we can get a few more folks interested in reloading and get this reloading forum moving a bit more.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    This method works great for most bullets except large heavy bullets under heavy recoil, bullets in ultralight guns and bullets shot thru semiautomatic rifles.
    Repeated pounding of the rounds under recoil can cause the bullets to move outward and you can even get a misfeed. The 500 S&W and the 357 scandium revolvers can both "pull their bullets" as can African rifles and even the 45-70. I have had "improperly" crimped 308 bullets move in an m1a that were fine in a Remington 700. If this happens for jacketed bullets crimp at the cannelure or lead crimp at the crimp band.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    This method works great for most bullets except large heavy bullets under heavy recoil, bullets in ultralight guns and bullets shot thru semiautomatic rifles.
    Repeated pounding of the rounds under recoil can cause the bullets to move outward and you can even get a misfeed. The 500 S&W and the 357 scandium revolvers can both "pull their bullets" as can African rifles and even the 45-70. I have had "improperly" crimped 308 bullets move in an m1a that were fine in a Remington 700. If this happens for jacketed bullets crimp at the cannelure or lead crimp at the crimp band.

Very good points, I crimp all ammo for semi-autos. While doing load workups, I will check between each shot to make sure the OAL has remained the same. I've never seen one set-back, but I've never owned any rifle larger than a 30-06 either. I did have a 500SW and a heavy crimp was a requirement for full power loads with H110. Bottom line is that while doing the load work-up, check everything after each shot for the first 8-10 rounds. I've seen guys shoot 5 or 10 rounds of a new load before they look at anything and I scratch my head as to what the heck they're thinking....

Top Bottom