maybe a silly question

coyotegary

Oct 27, 2013
lewisville texas
i plan on reloading 45 acp in the near future. i have a thousand large rifle primers just setting around . any chance of using rifle primers to load the 45 acp without issues ?

Andy

Sep 13, 2013
Dallas, TX
Without issues? No.

Are you really willing to risk blowing up a pistol for the sake of saving $40 or so? Buy pistol primers.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
You might be able to make a load that works but it will probably result in getting much lower velocities and higher pressure. Not recommended.

Andy

Sep 13, 2013
Dallas, TX
Thing is, it *can* be done (I'd do it if I was forced to (eg. collapse of civilization, alien invasion, etc) - but because I don't know the OP's level of expertise, I'm not comfortable going into any detail as there are a number of factors (and their consequences) to be familiar with.

Last edited:

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
There will be issues. They can be overcome.
It all depends on your skill level.
Obtain the proper primers if possible.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
you should not be reloading if you have to ask that question.
This is not true. Many have done this during shortages and some have used different primers when loading hot rounds to meet certain power factors(don't recommend it).

As mentioned, not something you want to do without some experience at the bench and willing to risk some injuries. Lots of research should be done to find a starting point before even attempting it. Even then, just cause it worked in Joe Jacks super custom open class 1911 doesn't mean it will work in yours.

coyotegary

Oct 27, 2013
lewisville texas
good answers thanks guys! well....most of you...lol

Top Bottom