• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyotegary

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    lewisville texas
    i plan on reloading 45 acp in the near future. i have a thousand large rifle primers just setting around . any chance of using rifle primers to load the 45 acp without issues ?
    Gun Zone Deals

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Without issues? No.

Are you really willing to risk blowing up a pistol for the sake of saving $40 or so? Buy pistol primers.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You might be able to make a load that works but it will probably result in getting much lower velocities and higher pressure. Not recommended.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Thing is, it *can* be done (I'd do it if I was forced to (eg. collapse of civilization, alien invasion, etc) - but because I don't know the OP's level of expertise, I'm not comfortable going into any detail as there are a number of factors (and their consequences) to be familiar with.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    There will be issues. They can be overcome.
    It all depends on your skill level.
    Obtain the proper primers if possible.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    you should not be reloading if you have to ask that question.

This is not true. Many have done this during shortages and some have used different primers when loading hot rounds to meet certain power factors(don't recommend it).

As mentioned, not something you want to do without some experience at the bench and willing to risk some injuries. Lots of research should be done to find a starting point before even attempting it. Even then, just cause it worked in Joe Jacks super custom open class 1911 doesn't mean it will work in yours.

DFTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    Fort Worth
    Generally not a good idea. The first thing is that large rifle primers are hard. Your 45 firing pin may only dent the primer and you'll have a FTF condition. Or end up dropping the hammer twice on each round. The load can be compensated easy enough. Drop 20% less powder in the case. Then check the FPS Work up to desired load. That's a hot Magnum Large Pistol style flash coming out of a LRP in a 45 case.

Since primers can't be returned to retail store, Advertise on Texas Gun Trader or Armslist and see if you can make a trade for large pistol ones? Thankfully primers are returning to shelves and someone may just have what you need now. Patience!

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the size difference. Large rifle primer pockets are deeper and the primer is taller to match. A large rifle primer wil protrude from the case and can cause a slam fire.

Small rifle and small pistol primers are dimensionally the same

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Like I said, I didn't want to get into specifics - because once folks know the physical challenges, they then try to overcome each individual one to "make it work" and just end up hurting themselves.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you are new to reloading and already thinking of cutting corners?

not a good way to start off

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    it was just a question that i was curious about..i wasnt trying to do anything but learn. starting to regret asking....lol

Don't sweat it.
    It was a legitimate question.
    Aside from a couple of harsh responses, it's a good thread.

gsxrchad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    'Yote Gary - reloaders are a cautious bunch. We know what we make is suppose to go bang, but we all want that bang to be as safe as possible. If there is a half-cocked question tossed out, as a whole this community will squash it quickly and forcefully. Not to hurt your feelings, but to save your fingers, gun, life. Shit gets serious fast at 60,000 psi.

stay safe and have fun.

C

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Generally not a good idea. The first thing is that large rifle primers are hard. Your 45 firing pin may only dent the primer and you'll have a FTF condition. Or end up dropping the hammer twice on each round. The load can be compensated easy enough. Drop 20% less powder in the case. Then check the FPS Work up to desired load. That's a hot Magnum Large Pistol style flash coming out of a LRP in a 45 case.

Since primers can't be returned to retail store, Advertise on Texas Gun Trader or Armslist and see if you can make a trade for large pistol ones? Thankfully primers are returning to shelves and someone may just have what you need now. Patience!
    ^I'm surprised this wasn't everyone's first response.^

Top Bottom