• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey Mad John,

I was teasing with the "ten dollar word" thangy....

Serious. ENJOY the DAYLIGHTS out of the pics/posts of your collection/restoration efforts (even fire salvage)

You Sir! Are an ARTIST!

Keep up the good EXCELLENT, HIGHEST OF QUALITY WORK!

Later, Mark
    Mark,
    Thanks!
    You wouldn't be so complimentary if you saw all of the stuff I mucked-up experimenting on junk guns to learn what NOT to do! It is not something you can be taught to do. I have even invented new words along the way. Like "fuckeduppedness" when things go really wrong that the process is unrecoverable.
    Years and hours of "F-ness" just to get that one Ah-Hah moment. I take written notes along the way in binders by category of "F-ness" Brass, Steel, Screws, thread pitches and how to plot by hand. (0ne of my favorites is 27 TPI on every diameter of screw blank.) Purist collectors will check for such things on rare and unusual guns. Screw head, size, diameter, curvature and slot width and depth of different years of manufacture of Colt revolvers. Even the shape s of the screw tips. Old originals in their design especially prior to 1895 black powder framed and percussion revolver models are specific. A reproduction screw sticks out like a mashed thumb. Seriously. Colt does have and make screws for some SAA models. well over $100per screw if they have them. Wrong screw the gun is not original! I have a Jeweler's/ Watch makers lathe that is entirely manual and sometimes I have to make one screw the way they did over a century ago just to be "correct" .. whew!
    Time and patience hunched over my bench.... but it HAS to be correct.
    The thing that really bothers me is simple.
    When I am gone so will all of this be gone!
    Not many people give a damn about the old originals, JUST what they are worth in dollars and couldn't care less about History in their hands.
    Yes I do shoot my original pieces. When I started, mass foreign import reproductions were not on the market for shooters.
    The old ones were made to be fired. If you pay careful attention to details they are still wonderful.
    YEP! I am different..... LMAO

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Well now that we have thoroughly beat the life out of this "dead horse" thread... and everyone now knows how really weird I am maybe someone can think of something important?
    Maybe a discussion on dangerous methods of cleaning lead and copper fouling from rifled bores....

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Well now that we have thoroughly beat the life out of this "dead horse" thread... and everyone now knows how really weird I am maybe someone can think of something important?
    Maybe a discussion on dangerous methods of cleaning lead and copper fouling from rifled bores....

......and why bore fouling is your fault?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Nitro Glycerin??

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    ......and why bore fouling is your fault?
    DUH! How did you get the idea that I though bore fouling was my fault??? NOT what I said.
    Let us ALL talk about methods of removing lead, copper and powder fouling... to get off of this thread.....
    I wanted to get on to a different thread....
    John

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    It's polishing the bore/maintaining the throat by firing bullets coated with progressively finer abrasives. See here.

OKAY,now I get it. Just knew it by another name. Abrasive Freshing. Something to be very careful with I am sure, Get too agg
    ressive and you get a smooth bore. I think that is how Mo-skeet guns came to be.... lol
    Ever use Mercury?

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Nope. Never wanted to mess with it.
    It is a neat old method but Mercury is expensive, it takes a bit and it can be dangerous. I use Mercury on really bad lead fouling. It is amazing and I have an enclosed exhaust hood to avoid vapors. My brain is already dysfunctional so I wouldn't know anyway.
    My wife thinks I am about a half bubble off of plumb all the time.
    John

Top Bottom