• ...and so much more!
  • ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    97 Ford Ranger
    2.3L 4 Cyl, 5 Speed

Wont start, fuel pump works, checked the pressure at the fuel rail every time I turned the key and there is pressure build up. There is spark. Truck sat for about two months, had to replace the battery. Motor turns, starter turns.....

So I am at a loss here.

Dont know why it worked a few months ago and now nothing.
    Hurley's Gold

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm just tossing out an idea. You've got cranking power and fuel, I don't see any reason you wouldn't have air. So try checking all your spark-related components.

I think if it was bad gas, it would still turn over, but run rough.

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    Corrosion from moisture in the air.
    Can I fix that without having to replace the distributor?

I'm just tossing out an idea. You've got cranking power and fuel, I don't see any reason you wouldn't have air. So try checking all your spark-related components.

I think if it was bad gas, it would still turn over, but run rough.
    It has spark.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Speaking of air, did you check the intake? Animals like to make nests in there sometimes.

Other than that it sounds like an ignition problem. Everything works but the key isn't telling the truck to be "on". Animals are known to chew on wires also.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Check the rotor, last time I had symptoms like that on a car, it turned out to be a small pinhole in the rotor. Would give spark, but not enough for long enough.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Can I fix that without having to replace the distributor?

One of my buddies took his truck mudding a lot and long story short-wound up dead in the walmart parking lot. One of the things i did was pull his distributor cap and sure enough-corrosion in his cap. I knocked off what I could with my knife and it was enough to allow him to drive home. The next day, he finished the job with sand paper and the thing ran just fine.

As I recall-he also still had spark. So did my blazer when it was acting up. I thought my issue was my fuel pump not being strong enough anymore. Turns out my rotor was jacked up. Still put out spark-not in time though.

Even if you do have to buy a new cap and rotor-its like $30 and easy to swap. No sweat at all.

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    '97 still had the rotor/distributor IIRC......

It's possible, but since I don't and have not owned one, I can't confirm. Just going off of the O'Reilly website... didn't see one listed.

I know my Grandpa's 99 Mazda (Ranger with Mazda badging) was distributorless. Also that distributorless ignition was commonplace by 97 in many vehicles.

sent from deep space

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I'm not a Ford guy but experiences that I've had you may have fuel pressure but it may not be enough pressure, I would go the earlier suggestion and see if it will run on starter fluid, if it does then it's a fuel problem not a spark problem. If it does run then either you have a bad cam sensor so your injectors are not firing or low fuel pressure.

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    i'm not a ford guy but experiences that i've had you may have fuel pressure but it may not be enough pressure, i would go the earlier suggestion and see if it will run on starter fluid, if it does then it's a fuel problem not a spark problem. If it does run then either you have a bad cam sensor so your injectors are not firing or low fuel pressure.
    ^^this^^

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The 2.3L motor has the freaky 8 plug/plug wire DIS(distibutorless ignition system) setup. Probably a cam/crank sensor problem or broken timing belt/chain. Verify hot spark then check compression.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom