• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I Buy cheap. I’m lose stuff before I break it. Lol

If you buy expensive you won't lose it. A $250 ratchet, $40 extension and a single $50 dollar socket will motivate you to put it back in the tool box. One small drawer full of Snap-On can be an easy $2000 in sockets.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    If you buy expensive you won't lose it. A $250 ratchet, $40 extension and a single $50 dollar socket will motivate you to put it back in the tool box. One small drawer full of Snap-On can be an easy $2000 in sockets.

Oh I know...

and they’ve probably spent twice as much after paying interest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Oh I know...

and they’ve probably spent twice as much after paying interest.

True That.

Ever seen a poor Snap-On dealer? Where he didn't have a separate stone bricked garage for the truck? You can buy Snap-On straight from Snap-On. Order it off their website. I've never noticed a difference in price. Still incredibly, no joke expensive.

I've seen mechanics pay $20-$75 a week to finance the stuff. They never stop paying. If they do pay it off. They buy something else. A lot of guys are tool collectors. Thousands and thousands for stuff they rarely use.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    True That.

Ever seen a poor Snap-On dealer? Where he didn't have a separate stone bricked garage for the truck? You can buy Snap-On straight from Snap-On. Order it off their website. I've never noticed a difference in price. Still incredibly, no joke expensive.

I've seen mechanics pay $20-$75 a week to finance the stuff. They never stop paying. If they do pay it off. They buy something else. A lot of guys are tool collectors. Thousands and thousands for stuff they rarely use.

a mechanic’s tool box, is like chrome on a Pete...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The supposedly top of the line tools. Above Snap-On. Is Proto.

Since I live a rock throw distance away from Fort Hood. The guberment' buys only American. The pawn shops around here have bins full of miscellaneous Proto. SK is also up there.

I have three Proto ratchets. 1/4" and 3/8" drive. Complete socket sets are rough to come by but individual sockets are easy. The average cost of the 1/4" sockets is a dollar. The ratchets, maybe $5.

I don't know if it's on purpose or mistake but the pawn will toss a few 1/4" Snap-On sockets in the loose tool bins. 8mm and 10mm. $1. They never seem to let any Snappy ratchets or 3/8" drive sockets slide. Or wrenches either. They keep those behind glass. Screw Divers too.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby

Since I live a rock throw distance away from Fort Hood. The guberment' buys only American. The pawn shops around here have bins full of miscellaneous Proto. SK is also up there.

I have three Proto ratchets. 1/4" and 3/8" drive. Complete socket sets are rough to come by but individual sockets are easy. The average cost of the 1/4" sockets is a dollar. The ratchets, maybe $5.

I don't know if it's on purpose or mistake but the pawn will toss a few 1/4" Snap-On sockets in the loose tool bins. 8mm and 10mm. $1. They never seem to let any Snappy ratchets or 3/8" drive sockets slide. Or wrenches either. They keep those behind glass. Screw Divers too.
    Those pawn dudes need to setup a eBay account. :-)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Those pawn dudes need to setup a eBay account. :-)

Nah, that's where those phuckers get their prices. If something like a microscope gets pawned but it's an older model and no longer made. They look up auction results to see what market it has and they price it accordingly.

They removed the buy dates on the price tags. That has to be my fault. I'd look for stuff in inventory over a year and I'd beat them down on the price. "It's over a year old, who else are you gonna sell it to? I'm gonna need a discount and 10% don't cut it. Help me help you move your old inventory".

They changed the tags...

McCrapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2018
    Central Texas

That is pretty convenient, Im going to check some pawn shops tomorrow. I dont foresee me getting that lucky.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That is pretty convenient, Im going to check some pawn shops tomorrow. I dont foresee me getting that lucky.

Craigslist always has tools. Snap-On is anywhere between 50%-75% of the new price. There's a bunch of the older Craftsman, Kobalt, the kinda sets you were looking at. Check there too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    If you need an expensive tool but can't afford it. Like a torque wrench or an impact. Rent it from the pawn. Before you buy it ask what the pawn value is in the same condition. The difference in that from the price is the cost to 'rent' it.

Nobody says you can't buy it on Monday and pawn it back Tuesday.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I buy Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK and Proto but only in pawn shops and ebay when I find good deals. Other than that I have some old Crapsman that i got when I was young. I have some sets of Tekton wrenches and I like them. I have a few of their pliers too. Seem like they are pretty good. I can't speak to their other tools but they generally get good reviews on YT and such. I also use Gearwrench wrenches and various other tools they make, they've held up pretty good and are reasonably priced.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Never had a problem with any old craftsman tools. I think I only ever broke one socket and one rachet and both times I was using a longer cheater bar on it. they replaced them no questions asked.

Top Bottom