Mechanics Tool Set Advice

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by McCrapper, Jun 7, 2018.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Craigslist always has tools. Snap-On is anywhere between 50%-75% of the new price. There's a bunch of the older Craftsman, Kobalt, the kinda sets you were looking at. Check there too.

2. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    If you need an expensive tool but can't afford it. Like a torque wrench or an impact. Rent it from the pawn. Before you buy it ask what the pawn value is in the same condition. The difference in that from the price is the cost to 'rent' it.

Nobody says you can't buy it on Monday and pawn it back Tuesday.

McCrapper likes this.
  3. SidewaysTA

SidewaysTA Active Member Lifetime Member

Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I buy Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK and Proto but only in pawn shops and ebay when I find good deals. Other than that I have some old Crapsman that i got when I was young. I have some sets of Tekton wrenches and I like them. I have a few of their pliers too. Seem like they are pretty good. I can't speak to their other tools but they generally get good reviews on YT and such. I also use Gearwrench wrenches and various other tools they make, they've held up pretty good and are reasonably priced.

McCrapper likes this.
  4. mroper

mroper Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Never had a problem with any old craftsman tools. I think I only ever broke one socket and one rachet and both times I was using a longer cheater bar on it. they replaced them no questions asked.