• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    We have had a good amount of discussion going on in another thread regarding current, uptodate techniques to treat Gunshot wounds.

I believe this topic deserves its own thread for discussion.

Post up to date information and tips on treating a GSW in a range or hunting setting, and classes we can take to further those skills!
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You asked about "treating a GSW in a range or hunting setting". That's also what interests me.

However, it seems that most classes in how to treat these wounds invariably include a pistol component, including shooting while treating, moving the victim, etc. I'm a civilian. I'm not in a war zone. I'm most likely to see a GSW on a range or while hunting. If it happens during a self-defense scenario, well, any armed encounter I'm involved in or witness will be over in seconds. The chance of needing to understand all the dynamics of treatment while under fire, for me and (I suspect) the overwhelming majority of non-uniformed students, is vanishingly small.

Does anybody teach classes that are treatment, only, and completely leave out the whole notion that bad guys may be shooting at you at the same time?

I'm looking and interested.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Lone Star Medics is doing a class as we speak. It is called Range Response. It is a great class. Caleb does not try to make it an anatomy class, either. I took it last year and in 8 hours was better prepared than I was when I was a certified first aid and CPR Instructor.

Lone Star Medics - Lone Star Medics

Everyone who shoots should have a personal First Aid Kit (fak) that includes a tourniquet, pressure bandage, chest seal and some quick clot gauze. Have a medical emergency plan, even if at a public range in the middle of town.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Everyone who shoots should have a personal First Aid Kit (fak) that includes a tourniquet, pressure bandage, chest seal and some quick clot gauze. Have a medical emergency plan, even if at a public range in the middle of town.

This right here. You should always have enough equipment on you when shooting to slow down blood loss until EMS arrives, and know how to use it. A lot of us shoot in some pretty remote locations. Where I shoot, emergency response would be close to 20 minutes. I shoot alone a lot and fully understand that if I accidentally shoot myself, it's pretty much a death sentence without the training and equipment to stop the bleeding.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    As far as training, TXI gave a great recommendation. If nothing else, read the directions or watch some YouTube. My training came from an Army doc first. A bit later, I realized she didn't really have much experience with GSWs, I hit up another acquaintance, a Navy Corpsman who had some real experience with them. He and I sat down, used and talked about the equipment I carried and I felt a little better about the info I got.

I've bought a couple of IFAKs from Chinook Medical Gear. They are great kits for the money, although there's a few things you need to toss out if you don't have the proper training to use, decompression meddles come to mind... They came with a triage card that's actually pretty good. I keep those cards in my kits that come along to the range with me. If I'm still conscious enough to have someone get my kit, hopefully they can at least read directions if nothing else...lol.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Old, outdated guy checking in. Please describe the current chest seal. Are we talking about shot to the chest area or are we talking about a sucking chest wound? I'm interested to hear if this has changed and what the recommended treatment steps are. For a sucking chest wound, still roll them on their side after sealing the hole(s)?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    As in Meal Ready to Eat?

No, like this Asherman Chest Seal

He's referring to an improvised chest seal. It's not ideal, but a chest seal can be improvised by taping a piece of plastic on three sides over the wound to create a crude valve. Less than ideal, slower to employ, but it (usually) works.

NOTE: I'm not suggesting anybody ever try it and especially that nobody should ever rely on it as a go-to technique! Buy the damn Asherman and get some training!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He's referring to an improvised chest seal. It's not ideal, but a chest seal can be improvised by taping a piece of plastic on three sides over the wound to create a crude valve. Less than ideal, slower to employ, but it (usually) works.
    I know, I took the class, remember. ;) That's why I said no.

NOTE: I'm not suggesting anybody ever try it and especially that nobody should ever rely on it as a go-to technique! Buy the damn Asherman and get some training!

Amen.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Seems odd to me we have several here who recommend getting training and recommend what type of bandages to use, but don't remember if they should turn the victim on their side during administration of first aid. Fancy bandages won't help if the victim drowns in his own blood. Or at least that's the way they used to teach it.

No advice from anyone on how to treat?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes. I was talking about Meals Ready to Eat bags. I 100% recognize my Army first aid was primitive, basic and not modern.

Our combat lifesavers didnt have a whole lot of advanced gear. Mostly just the equipment for an IV. One of my reserve units we were fortunate enough to have a civilian medic (i dont recall EMT or paramedic) who was our off the books "medic" since he was actually a cook.

Thanks for sharing all the good info. Kind of a shame how people will debate 9 vs 40 for half their life but nevee consider first aid, serious wound care and emergency life saving gear/techniques.

Our local police supply store advertises itself as for EMTs too but they dont have much gear there for them. Where is a good place to buy or is it more of an online affair?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Seems odd to me we have several here who recommend getting training and recommend what type of bandages to use, but don't remember if they should turn the victim on their side during administration of first aid. Fancy bandages won't help if the victim drowns in his own blood. Or at least that's the way they used to teach it.

No advice from anyone on how to treat?

I was trying to be nice... No, we were NOT taught to roll a person on their as part of a suck chest wound treatment.

Medic738

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    I'm currently a paramedic and I carry the basics in my range bag and a almost complete ambulance in a bag in my truck from band aids to IV setups, chest decompression needles, to ET tubes and laryngoscopes. The most helpful thing that you can know is the exact address of where you are because believe it or not 911 dispatchers don't know where the caliche pit out past town to the west is...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I was trying to be nice... No, we were NOT taught to roll a person on their as part of a suck chest wound treatment.

Thanks I guess. No offense meant, but you don't exactly have the reputation as one to sugar coat things. Perhaps you're getting soft because you're getting old too?

Personally I have thick enough skin and won't lose any sleep if you call me out on anything. If you think I'm wrong, just tell me why you think so. I'm never opposed to hearing or learning other views or newer info.

The most helpful thing that you can know is the exact address of where you are because believe it or not 911 dispatchers don't know where the caliche pit out past town to the west is...

Kind of where I was going in the other tread, but since you brought up the part about exact location, does there seem to be any trend towards improvement in that area now that many smart phones have a 911 locator turned on by default?

Top Bottom