• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    When you become eligible for Medicare is a sort of "it depends". Mostly 65 is the answer.

If you are working for a company that provides medical insurance, generally speaking it depends on how the insurance covers you. Some insurers require you to sign on to Medicare at 65, some do not. Some will be primary coverage and Medicare, if you sign up for it, will be secondary. Some employers medical insurance stops coverage for employees when they become eligible for Medicare. If you are working you need to talk with your HR people AND read the insurance booklet you get each year.

If you are retired, mostly Medicare is primary if you have another health insurance. In any case, you MUST notify both insurers that you are covered by Medicare and another plan. These then coordinate benefits per Law and insurers stated benefits.

Again talking with the insurance provider and Medicare are the ONLY safe ways to be sure of the facts. ALWAYS ask for the explanation in writing (one never knows...)

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    We get the Louisiana stations on antenna. They are barraging us with has-been actors, and Joe Namath 24/7. The Jimmy JJ Walker ad is Fing obnoxious. Not half as bad on the Texas stations. " Just call we will save you thousands of $$$."

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    We get the Louisiana stations on antenna. They are barraging us with has-been actors, and Joe Namath 24/7. The Jimmy JJ Walker ad is Fing obnoxious. Not half as bad on the Texas stations. " Just call we will save you thousands of $$$."
    I get the same continual advertising on local channels, fox news, etc. Same crap with Camp Lejeune Lawsuit.
    I often change channel or hit the off button when I hear it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Reviving an old thread because it is that time of year for the "celebrities" to come out and tell you that you should join their crappy Advantage plan. Don't fall for their bull.
    I really can't tell you how grateful I am that you brought this to our attention.
    Please remind me when my next colonoscopy is due.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Every year at this time television and mail boxes are bombarded with medicare supplemental insurance advertising. There must be a a lot of money in it. Are any of them actually better than medicare parts A, B, and D?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Every year at this time television and mail boxes are bombarded with medicare supplemental insurance advertising. There must be a a lot of money in it. Are any of them actually better than medicare parts A, B, and D?
    The cost of constantly advertising on television and filling mailboxes has to paid by someone. The recycled celebrities and insurance companies are passing these costs to the coverages they provide.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The answer is no. I recommend getting a medigap plan in addition. Stay away from Advantage plans.

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Now my wife is turning 65, and yes she is eligible, and MUST sign up for this worthless government program, according to our insurance company. (As posted previously, I am not eligible, and want nothing to do with it!) So I got her signed up, and she had to go to the government cattle, er Social Security office, to Sign her name. So now we have to send copies of the Medicare card to our insurance company, the system continues to screw with us!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Now my wife is turning 65, and yes she is eligible, and MUST sign up for this worthless government program, according to our insurance company. (As posted previously, I am not eligible, and want nothing to do with it!) So I got her signed up, and she had to go to the government cattle, er Social Security office, to Sign her name. So now we have to send copies of the Medicare card to our insurance company, the system continues to screw with us!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    The government didn't force your wife to sign up, her insurance company did. My wife signed up on 10/1/22 and did everything on line. My wife is much better off with Medicare than on her BC HMO (the only plan in our area that was available) and much cheaper. Your circumstances may be different.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Why in Hades is the government involved in health care??????? Yeah, I have Medicare because as long as it is offered you'd be nuts not to enroll; however, I'd truly rather the G did away with it as well as doing away with Social Security. We'd be better off in the long run as a nation. Then again, the G should do away with the Department of Education & Department of Energy as well as some others.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Be aware!
    I talked on the phone to one telemarketer Medicare provide and a Selectaquote insurance provider told both no thanks. Since that day I get 30-50 telemarketer calls a day. YMMV goodluck

Top Bottom