• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    ... before you satisfy yourselves with embarrassing, unsubstantiated ad hominem attacks, I am a moderate liberal lawyer who owned a Glock 19 (until it was recently burglarized) and have been mugged at knife point numerous times. If I came off offensive, I apologize. But you guys do not seem to realize how ... uh, I'll say "intense" or paranoid you sound when you talk about planning out ways to shoot every person you come across while shaking their hand, or teaching your dog to bark to warn you that your heat-packing wife is coming, or all the intense preparation you endure for years to prepare for a possible future chance encounter with a drunk guy at a bar. It's just a very odd way to prioritize, and it does reflect - to someone not from Texas - a gun-crazy, paranoid mentality.

I think the big picture here is not that we are planning to shoot every person we come across, but that we train to defend ourselves and our loved ones so that we will be as safe as possible, God forbid it be with guns, but we will if we must. I'm guessing you didn't own that Glock 19 for plinking puproses and sorry that you had the misfortune of being burglarized and mugged at knife point numerous times. I am from (cough) California (cough) also, I lived in Chicago for several years. I have been jumped by gangs, robbed at knife point and beat to the point of needing medical attention;to this day I hold the same thoughts, if I had not fought back I would probably have died.

I make a responsible decision to go armed into this world and in doing so I want to be physically and mentally prepared for whatever may come my way. If I need to get my gun into battle I don't want to hope I can, I want to know I can through muscle memory and practice when the fit hits the shan. God forbid I ever have to take anothers life as that is not something I ever want to do.

Welcome to the forum and I encourage to stay, chat and be a productive member.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay...the rest of ya are too polite ta say it, so *I* will:

Hey, dude - if you'd had the gun WITH ya, it wouldn't have been stolen - and you wouldn't have been mugged! Being unarmed leaves no options - being armed gives you several. Me, ah'm a lousy victim - but you go ahead and be one if it makes you feel virtuous!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    He lives in California, . . . where it is illegal to keep a gun with you. Sure you can open carry an unloaded gun, but you can't be within so far of a school (which means basically everywhere is off limits.)

The solution to that problem is either change the laws (not gonna happen in that state unless they kick all the illegals out, get rid of the welfare, and start actually fighting crime) or move. Not to mention that a scary looking gun is so much more dangerous than a wooden one. That 11'th round in the magazine is gonna kill babies. . .seriously. It happens all the time in the other states. . .

As you can tell, I have decided not to live in that state.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    ... before you satisfy yourselves with embarrassing, unsubstantiated ad hominem attacks, I am a moderate liberal lawyer who owned a Glock 19 (until it was recently burglarized) and have been mugged at knife point numerous times. If I came off offensive, I apologize. But you guys do not seem to realize how ... uh, I'll say "intense" or paranoid you sound when you talk about planning out ways to shoot every person you come across while shaking their hand, or teaching your dog to bark to warn you that your heat-packing wife is coming, or all the intense preparation you endure for years to prepare for a possible future chance encounter with a drunk guy at a bar. It's just a very odd way to prioritize, and it does reflect - to someone not from Texas - a gun-crazy, paranoid mentality.

SO I am assuming that every person that has been in the military falls under the same category, or are you going to be stereotypical and only say that about Marines?

Its just like when I lived in Brooklyn, and when I said I was from Texas, they would ask me not to shoot them with my six-shooter, or ask me where my horse was hitched. But if I was to tell them not to case my feet in concrete and throw me out in the East River, dont you think they would take offense. You're damned right.

Unfortunately, I am an asshole and will be stereotypical and say that I think that every Kalifornian is a left-winged, liberal retard that cant figure out how to tell an illegal alien to get the F**K out; to spend their tax money on American healthcare and feeding needy American citizens. Until I am proven wrong, thats how I will feel.

Brad

SanePerson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Fair enough

Unfortunately, I am an asshole and will be stereotypical and say that I think that every Kalifornian is a left-winged, liberal retard that cant figure out how to tell an illegal alien to get the F**K out; to spend their tax money on American healthcare and feeding needy American citizens.

As far as your views on Californians, you just waived your right to ever complain when someone asks if you're gonna shoot 'em with your 6-shooter. There is a lot more political diversity in that state than someone like you will ever know, and that's fine.

Re: illegal aliens... don't be so quick to judge that one. I don't know many people who are in any way in favor of illegal aliens. Especially people who know how much of a drain on our economy they are and how much they lend to the gang and drug-related violence. What you hear from politicians is pandering to a base, not what every constituent believes.

As far as the other gun-related statements.. I have also been sent to the hospital after getting jumped (by an illegal alien actually), and ironically, I was charged with (among other things) assault with a deadly weapon because he said I came at him with a gun. I did not. It would be easy for me to look backwards and say "Man, if I had a gun I wouldn't have been a victim." But the truth is, on a bigger scale, I am not sure that everyone walking around carrying guns is going to make this world safer. Will it give criminals something to think twice about? Of course. But there are other, unintended effects as well. These kids who shoot their school mates or themselves with elaborate weapons virtually always get them from their fathers' house. Not to mention the woman who is theoretically the subject of this thread... She certainly would not have been shot if there were not guns in her house. Now, to be fair, maybe she'd have been stabbed instead; who knows. But if self-defense is your concern, why not study hand-to-hand combat? I think something else lurks behind the gun fascination. I've pulled a gun on someone before - twice. Both times I felt threatened, but it was really not warranted, but I felt an extra sense of power. I was not going to be a victim! OK.. But that could have turned real bad real quick. I'm not saying I'm against guns, but the gun mania, I think, is not just about safety. I think it's like a security blanket against the idea of "losing control" of the country or being made to feel powerless.

My two cents. I know this isn't anything new or cutting-edge, and I'm preaching to the wrong audience. But at least I'm not a p*ssy writing this on some liberal site, just so people can ooh and ahh over how they agree with me.

Have a good weekend.

SanePerson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I think the big picture here is not that we are planning to shoot every person we come across, but that we train to defend ourselves and our loved ones so that we will be as safe as possible, God forbid it be with guns, but we will if we must. I'm guessing you didn't own that Glock 19 for plinking puproses and sorry that you had the misfortune of being burglarized and mugged at knife point numerous times. I am from (cough) California (cough) also, I lived in Chicago for several years. I have been jumped by gangs, robbed at knife point and beat to the point of needing medical attention;to this day I hold the same thoughts, if I had not fought back I would probably have died.

I make a responsible decision to go armed into this world and in doing so I want to be physically and mentally prepared for whatever may come my way. If I need to get my gun into battle I don't want to hope I can, I want to know I can through muscle memory and practice when the fit hits the shan. God forbid I ever have to take anothers life as that is not something I ever want to do.

Welcome to the forum and I encourage to stay, chat and be a productive member.

Well, I appreciate your graciousness. And I apologize for my original comment. It was flippant and disrespectful, and I can see that you appear to have reasons for feeling the way you do. We learn something every day, I suppose. But I still think that the intensity of your original post was pretty up there, and I don't think it's just about being safe. Where were you mugged (which state)? I'm guessing that most people on here are from Texas, and they've probably never had these types of encounters. So why the gun mania?

I actually spend time in Texas on occasion, as my dad has a hunting ranch there. Great people, by all means. But I just don't get the gun thing. So be it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just being curious, but what do you mean by "elaborate weapons?" The first thing that comes to mind is something from Home Alone. I know that isn't what you meant, but I really don't know what did mean.

No one is going to threaten me of not being a gun nut(actually, I'm a poor gun nut :_( ), but I am not a maniac. I understand guns and respect them. I guess you could say that I have a basic understanding of why having an armed civillian populations is so incredibly important. That doesn't mean that I am disillusioned as to just how dangerous a gun can be.

This thread is talking (well suppose to be) about how a woman's death was twisted to imply that she is dead because she choose to utilized her rights under the law and carry a gun to a place that made other people feel uncomfortable. She broke no law and hurt no one. She is dead because her husband popped his cork. They are two separate issues.

ps-TGIF

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Unfortunately, SanePerson, the only opinions that we do hear voiced are of the politicians, their views and ideals, the people elected as Kalifornia's represenatives, and of course the bleeding heart actors and actresses. That is why so many of the United State's conservative population have the ideal that every Kalifornian is a "liberal retard" is because of the portrayal by these people.

Earlier I did come across as insensitive and brash, but truthfully, I am one of the most concerning people that I know. I worry about everyone, my family, my friends, even people that I meet on the street and can tell that all they need is a hand up, not a hand out.

I have to give you respect, because you did say, "But at least I'm not a p*ssy writing this on some liberal site, just so people can ooh and ahh over how they agree with me." Maybe you did it because you're tired of people agreeing with you all of the time; not looking for an arguement, but to have your opinion voiced, to do away with some of the stereotypes, I dunno, but I do commend you for not backing down and standing your ground firm... Kudos...

I lived in Brooklyn for three years, and I can remember a few nights of walking back to my house from the store that I wished I would've had a firearm for protection. One night in particular I wished I could forget, but it happened, and nothing is going to change it. But its the mentality of the state and local government that make everyday ordinary citizens become victims, to lose the ability to protect themselves and the criminals know it. That's why Texans are the way they are. We are not going to stand idly by and wait for someone to try and take anything from us, especially not by force, and thank God above that we were given the right to protect ourselves and what is ours, and by force if neccessary.

And truthfully, I never waived any rights, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I will respect that. You probably think that I am just some redneck Texan, and honestly, youre right, and I am damned proud of it! :p

And as I extend my hand, I will also bid thee a good and SAFE weekend. You're just lucky youre not an OU fan this weekend, because no mercy will be shown!

Brad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    SanePerson....yep - ya get points for coming back to the discussion! Understand something - speaking for myself (and, I suspect, most other gun owners) the LAST thing I want to do is pull a gun. You said you pulled a gun two times, even though by your own standards it wasn't necessary. You might be surprised to find out that you'd likely be lambasted by most of the folks here for actions such as that. The ONLY time you pull a gun is when you fear for the life/immediate safety of yourself or your family. If a store owner is being threatened with imminent death by a gun-wielding perp, different story - but generally you pull only when it's you or yours - and only when you intend to use it the moment it "clears leather"!!
    I've gotten my tail-end whipped more'n once with a weapon within reach - never occurred to me to pull it out, simply because it was just a fist-fight. Having taken a life, I can tell you that it's nothing something to be taken lightly, nor bragged about - because anyone that can do so and not be impacted deeply by it is either unstable or a liar. You take on a huge responsibility when you carry a firearm - and what you'll read in many of the sections of this forum is the same kind of "gallows humor" you'd hear at any other "brotherhood". I'm likely one of the biggest "gun nuts" on this board - and will enjoy a moment of levity as much as anyone - but when it comes down to brass tacks, then it's time for brutal honesty.
    The trick to carrying a gun is that it gives you an option not otherwise available - and because of that, MOST folks find themselves coming up with creative ways of NOT having to draw, whether it's diffusing a situation with humor, or simply crossing to the other side of the street. But when we're in our "den", don't come in and try to tell us to "watch our language" - 'cuz you'll get a faceful of redneck 'tude! ;)

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    There is a lot more political diversity in that state than someone like you will ever know, and that's fine.

By diverse, I'm guessing you mean a Mexican, a black, an asian, a lesbian, a gay man, a handicapped person, etc., etc. ... aka, left wing loons that look different but all share the same agenda.

EDIT: wanted to add this visual cause it cracked me up ... Bubba with a red cap, Bubba with a blue cap, Bubba with his front teeth missing, Bubba with a shotgun, Bubba with a rifle. All Bubbas.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Well, I appreciate your graciousness. And I apologize for my original comment. It was flippant and disrespectful, and I can see that you appear to have reasons for feeling the way you do. We learn something every day, I suppose. But I still think that the intensity of your original post was pretty up there, and I don't think it's just about being safe. Where were you mugged (which state)? I'm guessing that most people on here are from Texas, and they've probably never had these types of encounters. So why the gun mania?

I actually spend time in Texas on occasion, as my dad has a hunting ranch there. Great people, by all means. But I just don't get the gun thing. So be it.
    I was mugged in Chicago, I have been held at knifepoint both in Chicago and in Tx (Tx was a punk kid trying to make a point, his point was removed by someone much larger than he, thankfully someone came to help). I still don't see anything in the post that was "up there" or beyond being aware of your surroundings and thinking in a manner that would be anything other than being safe, so on that we shall agree to disagree. I see no gun mania, I see gun enthusiasts and people who choose to be responsibly armed. If you read the news, theses things don't just happen in CA and IL.

Top Bottom