• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The biggest drawback to getting the out of state LTC, is the fact that one must still pass NICS when they purchase from a dealer.
    With a Texas LTC, you get a "pass"....

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    The biggest drawback to getting the out of state LTC, is the fact that one must still pass NICS when they purchase from a dealer.
    With a Texas LTC, you get a "pass"....

That makes a lot of sense, but honestly I just passed NICS no problem and I really don't mind a NICS check anytime I make a purchase. It's just a form to fill out and a couple of minutes of my time.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That makes a lot of sense, but honestly I just passed NICS no problem and I really don't mind a NICS check anytime I make a purchase. It's just a form to fill out and a couple of minutes of my time.

The form you have to fill out anyway, it's the time waiting on the phone call that you get to bypass.

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    The form you have to fill out anyway, it's the time waiting on the phone call that you get to bypass.

The last time I had a purchase the phone calls/NICS check took 2 minutes so it really wasn't that bad.

Sort of off topic: I talked with a good friend of mine who is a cop here in TX and asked about a Virginia non-resident CHL being reciprocated in Texas (ie. Me being a Texas resident getting a VA Non-resident CHL and carrying in TX) and he said I need to double check with the DPS regarding the legality of this. Apparently he wasn't sure.

I see the reciprocity between TX and VA, but does that agreement cover myself as a Texas resident getting a VA non-resident CHL? Or does it only cover VA residents with their CHL living or traveling to Texas?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to have all the information at hand before I move forward.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The last time I had a purchase the phone calls/NICS check took 2 minutes so it really wasn't that bad.

Sort of off topic: I talked with a good friend of mine who is a cop here in TX and asked about a Virginia non-resident CHL being reciprocated in Texas (ie. Me being a Texas resident getting a VA Non-resident CHL and carrying in TX) and he said I need to double check with the DPS regarding the legality of this. Apparently he wasn't sure.

I see the reciprocity between TX and VA, but does that agreement cover myself as a Texas resident getting a VA non-resident CHL? Or does it only cover VA residents with their CHL living or traveling to Texas?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to have all the information at hand before I move forward.

Yes to the 1st question and No to the 2nd. If you live in VA and travel in Texas you would carry on a resident VA license.

I carry on a Florida, lived in another state when I got it and then moved to Texas. I verified with DPS about the legality just to be certain and was told I was fine.
    Nothing wrong with emailing/calling them anyway for your own piece of mind.

There are few guys here who carry on AZ and their process seems straight forward. You might want to look into them as well. Also, VA's politics can be shifty. It wouldn't surprise me if one day they did away with their non resident license. It's just a thought of mine so take it with a grain of salt, but might be something to think about.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    BP disorder is becoming as common-place as diagnosing a virus.

If you have multiple mental health related issues like anxiety and depression, many times a BP diagnosis is a way to lump them altogether.
    The result is a prescription or a cocktail of drugs to treat the symptoms. Thank you western, cookie-cutter medicine.

New research is bubbling up that shows many mental disorders are a result of simple things like food allergies or a histamine problem resulting in chemical and hormonal abnormalities.
    BP is easy to diagnose (there are no real tests) and the symptoms manifest is all kinds of ways (take a pill).

Figuring out the symptom triggers, a holistic approach to medicine, means the patient has to be involved and the doctor actually has to earn their pay.
    And its tough to find a doctor willing to put in the time and effort.

Sorry for the thread hijack ...

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Yes to the 1st question and No to the 2nd. If you live in VA and travel in Texas you would carry on a resident VA license.

I carry on a Florida, lived in another state when I got it and then moved to Texas. I verified with DPS about the legality just to be certain and was told I was fine.
    Nothing wrong with emailing/calling them anyway for your own piece of mind.

There are few guys here who carry on AZ and their process seems straight forward. You might want to look into them as well. Also, VA's politics can be shifty. It wouldn't surprise me if one day they did away with their non resident license. It's just a thought of mine so take it with a grain of salt, but might be something to think about.

Thanks for the information on this. I'm looking at AZ too. Seems turnaround time is a bit quicker from what I've researched.

For any of you folks out their with out of state non-resident CHL in Texas, I do have a question. I was warned that if I was ever pulled over by LE and gave them my CHL from out of state that there's a good chance they will detain and disarm me until they can validate my CHL from the outside state. I honestly don't mind being detained so long as the peace officer can validate, but I've heard that you can be detained up to an hour while they check Fed/State sources. Anyone experience this with an out of state non-resident CHL?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have been an instructor since 2003 and taught over 1000 students. Until a few years ago every 4 to 5 years people were required to take renewal classes. I have talked to a lot of people who carry

1) one does not need a license from any state to carry in your car in Texas, so a LEO would not need to "validate" anything.

2) there is no interstate method for LEOs to validate carry licenses.

3) it is just not a big deal for people to carry today...

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    I have been an instructor since 2003 and taught over 1000 students. Until a few years ago every 4 to 5 years people were required to take renewal classes. I have talked to a lot of people who carry

1) one does not need a license from any state to carry in your car in Texas, so a LEO would not need to "validate" anything.

Gotcha, I carry in my car or any vehicle under my control and in my home so that part is covered. My main reason for getting a CHL is for when I'm out at night taking my walks. We've had a lot of crime in my area as of late so I'd rather be armed in the rare chance that I was put in a situation where I needed to defend myself.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Gotcha, I carry in my car or any vehicle under my control and in my home so that part is covered. My main reason for getting a CHL is for when I'm out at night taking my walks. We've had a lot of crime in my area as of late so I'd rather be armed in the rare chance that I was put in a situation where I needed to defend myself.

At least second time you mentioned this, & the "possibly unsafe" area you live.
    If it were me, I wouldn't be taking walks late at night if I was so worried about it....

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    At least second time you mentioned this, & the "possibly unsafe" area you live.
    If it were me, I wouldn't be taking walks late at night if I was so worried about it....

You're right, I probably shouldn't be out walking at night, but I'm an early riser (4am) and I like to get my exercise in before the sun comes out and the Texas heat starts to rear its ugly head.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You're right, I probably shouldn't be out walking at night, but I'm an early riser (4am) and I like to get my exercise in before the sun comes out and the Texas heat starts to rear its ugly head.

Ah, early morning is "slightly" different to me than late night.
    I can't blame ya for wanting to avoid the heat, wish I would get myself out walking.

Another option would be to get to a Mall, & join the scores of others soaking up the free A/C offered there, while getting their exercise in.

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Ah, early morning is "slightly" different to me than late night.
    I can't blame ya for wanting to avoid the heat, wish I would get myself out walking.

Another option would be to get to a Mall, & join the scores of others soaking up the free A/C offered there, while getting their exercise in.

That's actually a good idea, although I'm not a fan of the malls when they are jam packed with shoppers. It's like navigating a minefield lol

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014

My NY possession license used to have a phone number on the back with instructions on who to call to confirm it was valid. Not sure any other states do that.

nyn6nyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Just sent off my packet to Virginia, now the waiting begins. Had to get fingerprinted at the PD and they were pretty cool about the whole thing. But they warned me to abide by Texas statutes and familiarize myself with them. Took my fingerprints, said stay safe, and sent me on my way.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Really? Then what was all that ruckus a while back about how Maryland was pulling over drivers with out-of-state plates and LTCs in order to search for guns?

See: http://personalliberty.com/how-did-...-carry-gun-owner-before-they-pulled-him-over/

Carry licenses are not connected to license plates in Texas. They are connected to the DL. An out of state LEO could run a Texas DL and the Carry License status would show. However, some states are issued at the county level and not connected to the DL of that state.

Top Bottom