• ...and so much more!
  • RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Where do you draw the line?

At what point should a person not be allowed to have guns?

From my secret cel phone the NSA doesn't track !

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    First define "mental illness" as it pertains to gun ownership.

In the broadest sense, OCD, hoarding or compulsive shopping is a mental illness.
    Do I need to share the photo of my ammo stash again or just give you all my ammo?

LOL

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    When? When they are considered a danger or threat or high risk of doing harm to themselves or other people.

The problem is one of process and procedure and as noted by my post below; the risk of further eroding freedom.

Who can make the call to put folks on the list and under what criteria and who defines the criteria?

Who is going to make the call to take folks off the list and with what liability (professional and public)? There is an inherent bias towards safety where the incentive is to put people on the list is easy and low risk and taking them off the list is hard to determine and high risk.

Tracking and maintaining the list. HIPPA issues with having a medical condition on a list accessible to non medical personnel.

Enforcement. Confiscation and continued monitoring of prohibited persons.

Funny I was just reading this.

View Rule

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Here's another question.

Does the current system work sufficiently?

Does the current rate of deaths from firearms warrant more regulation?

We are seeing a decline in violent crime starting in the 90s. Some would argue with the relaxing of regulation and enforcement of MJ and other drugs we are doing better each year with the laws currently on the books.

So does the sense of security by further regulating firearm ownership, even with the risk of a person who is mentally unstable gaining access to guns, trump the loss of freedom?

We accept death as a risk in so many other areas and there are more risks in so many other things that firearm related deaths is way way down on the logical priority list.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would rather suffer the injustices of too much liberty than not enough.

Limiting gun ownership because of mental issues is a slippery slope. Remember now, the Left would consider many of us on this board bat shit crazy.

There is just no way to know exactly who is going to snap and who isn't. Some are easy to judge, but a system that had stopped the recent California killer would be way too overreaching in my opinion.

Until mind reading technology is perfected we are very limited on diagnosing those that intend to do harm to others.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    I would rather suffer the injustices of too much liberty than not enough.

Limiting gun ownership because of mental issues is a slippery slope. Remember now, the Left would consider many of us on this board bat shit crazy.

There is just no way to know exactly who is going to snap and who isn't. Some are easy to judge, but a system that had stopped the recent California killer would be way too overreaching in my opinion.

Until mind reading technology is perfected we are very limited on diagnosing those that intend to do harm to others.

the govt defines mental illness these days and we know they don't like guns. soon, your voter registration will determine if you're mentally ill or not.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    the govt defines mental illness these days and we know they don't like guns. soon, your voter registration will determine if you're mentally ill or not.

Then they are going to have flip the current definition of insane or they would disqualify every liberal. :p

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    We need to relearn how to recognize the trade-offs that come from risk management, especially risk from our fellow human beings. We need to relearn how to accept risk, and even embrace it, as essential to human progress and our free society. - Bruce Schneier

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/our_newfound_fe.html

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo