• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Broke down and ordered an SKS from Classic Firearms. Hoping it’s not in terrible shape. Pretty excited to get it. Next up, an M1, then an Enfield, then a Mosin, then a.............I’m gonna need a second job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good luck with that. Being cheap (back then), SKS and Mosins started my collection as well.
    Then I wanted a SVT-40, Garand, FN-49, Ljungman... it never ends.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Broke down and ordered an SKS from Classic Firearms. Hoping it’s not in terrible shape. Pretty excited to get it. Next up, an M1, then an Enfield, then a Mosin, then a.............I’m gonna need a second job!

I worked a sesonal job for 22 years that bought me all kinds of sweet toys & adventures. All you have to do is give up that portion of your life & hope you did it right.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Enjoy. I love my SKS and wish I had bought one 15 years earlier like I wanted to.

Just a tip, the Czech BXN stripper clips work pretty well for the SKS. I bought a bunch on eBay when I got my SKS and they are worth it.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I won’t know until I get it next week probably, but I’m guessing the stock is going to be in pretty rough shape. Depending on the condition, I am considering getting a replacement stock rather than refinishing the used one. That way I will always have the original stock which could have trench art or other battle scars. What are some companies that y’all could recommend to find SKS stocks, and other parts for the rifle? I definitely want to stick with wood rather than some of the polymer options I have seen.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Keep the original on it. Most are in really good shape. I have one with an Archangel stock. Prefer the wood.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Another thing I’m hearing about is the tapered firing pin and the possibility of slam fires. I’m wondering if I should get one of the spring loaded pins they sell and replace the original while I have everything apart cleaning the cosmoline out.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’ve shot thousands of rounds through a SKS with zero slam fires.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Another thing I’m hearing about is the tapered firing pin and the possibility of slam fires. I’m wondering if I should get one of the spring loaded pins they sell and replace the original while I have everything apart cleaning the cosmoline out.

After you remove cosmoline and clean, firing pin should move freely (rattle). The culprit in slam fires is the firing pin sticking.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

Keep the firing pin channel clean and you'll be fine.

desertshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2019
    Houston

Congrats! I can relate. LOL

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Let us know what you think of its condition once you receive it.

Now, some words that you as a new collector, and what some others who know better (in their own younger and thus faulty minds), can take with a grain of salt - or can take as words of wisdom from an older grump like me (and bear in mind that old age and treachery always will overcome youth and inexperience in the long run):

As for changing the stock, or anything else, I like very much that you said you would keep the original stock - that shows true wisdom! If you change anything, including the stock, do one more thing because life is unpredictable and so is our passing which is usually at a time we or others least expect it. Mark the old parts with labels as to which gun they belong. (I wonder if I got the grammar correctly according to the Harbrace College handbook?) That way, heaven forbid - you drop dead unexpectedly - your heirs will be able to keep them together as they belong when your heirs sell your guns to make themselves money on your demise - or better yet - your heir(s) decide(s) to enjoy them as their inheritance and your legacy! Of course that is only if you give a shit as to what they do if you drop dead all of a sudden.

As for me, I have changed very little of the parts on any of my guns; maybe I have changed grips, or maybe a firing pin spring or maybe another part (but only if faulty) or a stock if sent to the factory and they decided to do so at the manufacturer as Savage recently did because a stock was interfering with bolt removal. Most of my guns, I like just the way they are as I have them. In the long run, I have seen that those that remain unchanged are the ones that retain the most value as a rule (yes some say rules were meant to be broken, but what they never considered is that most rules (in this regard) remain unbroken and that in and of itself breaks the rule about most rules being meant to be broken (such are gun owners and guns). Also bear in mind, if you hold a C&R FFL, if you change the guns you buy as C&R guns, they are no longer C&R once you change the original configuration.

Enjoy your new acquisition. I recently bought one and like a fool I sold it before I relocated to Texas. I regret that VERY MUCH!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Picked it up this morning, and spent most of the day getting that damn cosmoline off of it. She’s in pretty good shape. No cracks in stock and only a couple small rust spots on the receiver. I think I’m going to give the stock a real light sanding and rub some oil into it to condition it. Cosmoline is evil!! Ran a cleaning rod down the barrel with a patch and shot out what looked like a big greasy cosmoline log! Got done with the cleaning and reassembly at about 4 and went straight to the range. Shoots amazingly straight. I don’t have a sight tool yet but it was dead on at 20 yards. Really fun to shoot.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Hit the rifle with some heat from a blow dryer and watch all of the extra cosmoline leech out of the wood you thought you got. ;)

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Hit the rifle with some heat from a blow dryer and watch all of the extra cosmoline leech out of the wood you thought you got. ;)

I did that. Think I burned out my blow dryer!! Or else it just overheated. It quit on me so I called it good! Every time I thought I had it all, I’d find another big glob of it somewhere! I’m sure there is still some in the stock. I’d heat it up, wipe it off, hit it with the hair dryer, wipe it off again, after about 20 minutes the dryer died so I made an executive decision and called it good!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Also, rifle has all matching numbers (for what that’s worth!). But I am kind of worried, the original Chinese serial number was 666!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom