• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have no idea if this is what you are asking about....

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I had never heard of them before, but just looked them up on Wikipedia. Interesting reading about the company.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I have watched a few Forgotten Weapons videos on them. They look very interesting. I with they got more attention back then so we would have more now.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I have no idea if this is what you are asking about....

Exactly. Forgot that I put out a reply some time ago. The Merwin Hulbert Company started producing their line of revolvers in 1876. Over their short time in business they produces around 14, different models. If Colt, Remington and S&W were the Cadillacs of their day Merwin-Hulbert was the Rolls_Royce. Incredibly strong and durable the design was truly a thing to shoot. There is so much to be said about them it is hard to find a place to begin. They were incredibly expensive even for that time. But their quality was unsurpassed. Innovative by design and machine tolerances. When you break a Merwin open to reload the tolerances are so tight and smooth there is suction built in the cylinder arbor that will pull the gun back to almost the closed position without any springs. When opening a Merwin to reload (a twist and turn motion, pulling it apart) the revolver will eject only the empty cartridges. Simply twist and close the cylinder to frame and load the empty cylinders.
    Nickle Plate was the desired weatherproof finish of the day. Merwin had a plating process that was superior to any other and offered their revolvers Nickle Plated at NO additional cost.
    Of ALL Merwin-Hulbert revolvers in all calibers... less that two percent left the factory in Blue Steel finish. Blue Merwin's demand an incredible price above the Nickle Plated guns. I have purchased two of the only three Merwin-Hulbert revolvers I have ever seen.
    I do often carry a Third Model Pocket Army Merwin in, as marled, Calibre 1873 Winchester. (.44-40WCF) Accurate and a load of fun to shoot.
    I know that I have posted these pictures before but here are three different models. I was unable to attach all 10 pictures. The top one is a (Blued) Second Model Army with scoop flute cylinders and open top. The next one is one I carry, a Third Model Pocket Army and the last is a .38 Merwin with the folding hammer in Blue steel. Went out of production in 1889.
    DSC_0011-a.jpg
    DSC_0013-a.jpg
    DSC_0014-a.jpg
    DSC_0020-a.jpg
    Left.jpg
    Right.jpg
    P1010024-a.jpg
    Merwin Hulbert Blue .38 DA 1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
      DSC_0012.JPG
      450.9 KB · Views: 184
    • Left.jpg
      Left.jpg
      341.3 KB · Views: 190

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Anyone have any experience with Merwin-Hulbert revolvers?
    I hand loaded several MH calibers for a friend, GREAT guns! What do you have?
    My maternal grandfather = true lifelong cowboy and foreman of the Britt Ranch carried a 44-40 Merwin Hulbert which my POS older sister inherited and sold for $50!

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I hand loaded several MH calibers for a friend, GREAT guns! What do you have?
    My maternal grandfather = true lifelong cowboy and foreman of the Britt Ranch carried a 44-40 Merwin Hulbert which my POS older sister inherited and sold for $50!
    My earlier post has some picture of my Merwin revolvers. I would disown my sister for that. Fortunately I am in a family of long time military gun people. Unfortunately I live behind enemy lines in Illinois with no way out. Places to shoot are drying up rapidly because of Democrats. Not many gun shops here any more. The one that was the largest and ben here for 49 years was forced to close a little over a year ago. I was a very close family friend for decades. They had to close due to regulations, license cost and politics. The last days they were open I approached the owner's widow and ( Mike the owner had passed away a few years before) wanted to help her. I purchased the remaining inventory for a set price for everything so she would not be stuck trying to finish from a storage building. NO GUNS they were all brokered off and I did not need the paperwork headache. It took three pickup truck loads to move the stuff into my basement. What a mess! Buckets of brass and you name it.
    I have been handloading since the days of the old player piano Poncess and Warren presses and hand squeezer Lyman Ideals. Forming brass for a number of obscure old cartridges, mostly US and a few foreign that I took a fancy to. Just about every caliber from .30 Mauser Pistol to .577 Nitro Express. Many large caliber Black Powder cartridges for my big bore guns.
    Sometimes it does get overwhelming.
    Life is such fun!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    My earlier post has some picture of my Merwin revolvers. I would disown my sister for that. Fortunately I am in a family of long time military gun people. Unfortunately I live behind enemy lines in Illinois with no way out. Places to shoot are drying up rapidly because of Democrats. Not many gun shops here any more. The one that was the largest and ben here for 49 years was forced to close a little over a year ago. I was a very close family friend for decades. They had to close due to regulations, license cost and politics. The last days they were open I approached the owner's widow and ( Mike the owner had passed away a few years before) wanted to help her. I purchased the remaining inventory for a set price for everything so she would not be stuck trying to finish from a storage building. NO GUNS they were all brokered off and I did not need the paperwork headache. It took three pickup truck loads to move the stuff into my basement. What a mess! Buckets of brass and you name it.
    I have been handloading since the days of the old player piano Poncess and Warren presses and hand squeezer Lyman Ideals. Forming brass for a number of obscure old cartridges, mostly US and a few foreign that I took a fancy to. Just about every caliber from .30 Mauser Pistol to .577 Nitro Express. Many large caliber Black Powder cartridges for my big bore guns.
    Sometimes it does get overwhelming.
    Life is such fun!
    Indeed, I still cast 25-20, 32-20 and 41 Swiss cf- inhaling lead fumes will mort me b4 Covid ;) Family is first, she is wise and educated and ignorant in things which do not interest her. I got the 45-60 1876 Winchester, then gave it away to my son who now has the hard choice of which grand girl will treasure it.

Last edited:

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Thank you @Mad John I learned more today. You say you you carry one?
    Yes I do carry one. I sometimes carry a variety of handguns. Not all at the same time. When I walk into the remaining couple shops here I get asked what I am carrying to day. It is always fun. Sometimes it's a Merwin or a S&W First Model American, a Smith & Wesson Schofield or a Russian with Ivory grips, Broomhandle Mauser, Artillery Luger even Colt Bisley Revolvers. Depends on my mood.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The thing I know most deeply about MH revolvers was that when they were going to be reproduced a few years ago, I was like...

ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg

...but the company that was doing the reproductions never managed to get fully up and running. I got to keep my money. I wish I hadn't. :(

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    The thing I know most deeply about MH revolvers was that when they were going to be reproduced a few years ago, I was like...

View attachment 261624

...but the company that was doing the reproductions never managed to get fully up and running. I got to keep my money. I wish I hadn't. :(
    You are not the only one following their efforts. From what I was finding out is that manufacturing costs were very prohibitive to duplicate what was done back in the day.
    It is hard to imagine with today's CNC design it would be so difficult but they did it back then. I am sure that is why the original company and Hopkins & Allen failed.
    They were considered the "ugly duckling" of revolvers but many famous gunmen LOVED them.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    You are not the only one following their efforts. From what I was finding out is that manufacturing costs were very prohibitive to duplicate what was done back in the day.
    It is hard to imagine with today's CNC design it would be so difficult but they did it back then. I am sure that is why the original company and Hopkins & Allen failed.
    They were considered the "ugly duckling" of revolvers but many famous gunmen LOVED them.

‘To add to why they are so hard to produce with today’s technology- all I can saw is at least two different companies have failed at bringing reproductions to market over the past 16-18 years. They always leaded to public on, on how well they were progressing when in fact they were bombing out.

I have an M&H 38 SW that is just cool as all get out. As John has said they are impeccable.

I would post a pic, but my files are always too large for this forum.

baboon

TGT Addict
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    ‘To add to why they are so hard to produce with today’s technology- all I can saw is at least two different companies have failed at bringing reproductions to market over the past 16-18 years. They always leaded to public on, on how well they were progressing when in fact they were bombing out.

I have an M&H 38 SW that is just cool as all get out. As John has said they are impeccable.

You can resize pictures on imgur.com

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I use Adobe Photoshop Pro.
    You can save files in many formats and types. Also "Save to Web" options to downsize the Mega Pixels to be internet friendly without resolution loss.
    Adobe Photoshop is a bit expensive and takes time to learn how to use it. I take a lot of pictures for the museums I work for in very high resolution for their archives of repairs and preservations. Extreme closeup of critical parts before and after including markings and serial numbers. I use a NIKON D6100 Exp, 12 point auto-focus with Macro Lenses. It is an incredible camera. I think it makes coffee too but I have not figured out that option.
    It is alot of camera and does video with sound too, do not buy one if you are not going to use one alot. Crazy expensive!

Last edited:

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois

I have a "blue" Merwin" folding hammer .38
    Merwin Hulbert Blue .38 DA 1.jpg
    Merwin Hulbert Blue .38 DA 3.jpg
    Merwin Hulbert Blue .38 DA 4.jpg
    Merwin Hulbert Blue .38 DA 5.jpg
    e

Leadeye

Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    I have two, folding hammer 38 and seven shot 32. Interesting guns, I repaired the 32 and made up some ammo for it. I was impressed with the reliability and accuracy of it considering it was an old pocket gun.

Attachments

• merwin eject.jpg
      merwin eject.jpg
      182.2 KB · Views: 73
    • sevensix.jpg
      sevensix.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 53
    Top Bottom