• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Why am I posting this on a gun forum, I don't know but I thought some might like to know how I just updated my WiFi home system and it is blazing fast everywhere.

And it's on sale at Sam's Club, TP-Link Deco M4, $124.98.

We have Spectrum cable and used their wifi router and a repeater and had so-so connections with frequent drops and the need to reboot all the time. The wife was constantly complaining about dropped internet.
    So I did the research, EERO by Amazon and TP-Link Deco M4 were the choices for what I wanted to spend. EERO was $169 when I started research, next day it was like $249 and no free returns on Amazon. Sam's club no hassle with returns. So, I went the Deco M4 and let me tell you, install with app on your phone, took 10 minutes and have blazing fast speed everywhere in the house and in the yard. Put a Roku stick on one tv that couldn't get wifi before so still have Spectrum tv and pulled 2 Spectrum boxes and the wifi modem, back to Spectrum. Save $20.98 a month on bill.

If you are having a time with dropped wifi and slow speeds and are using rental equipment, consider buying this Deco system. Return the junk router. Hold everything though until you are conviced that you are happy with the new system.
    Gun Zone Deals

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Even better, just run some ethernet cable through your attic and stick small APs here and there. Run an Ethernet drop to anywhere you'll leave a computer stationary. MUCH faster and more reliable than wireless.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Even better, just run some ethernet cable through your attic and stick small APs here and there. Run an Ethernet drop to anywhere you'll leave a computer stationary. MUCH faster and more reliable than wireless.
    Exactly what I did with TP-Link switch & APs from Amazon. Works great.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    This would be ideal but impossible in my house. When it was built the goal was cable everywhere. Now it is ethernet. That's why I am describing mesh wifi system for those that can't do ethernet everywhere.

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    Pulling wire in a multi story, though an older home or a 120 degree attic full of fiberglass insulation is a nightmare and a hard pass for me. Ten minutes and a mesh system is good to go. I've NEVER had any outages with my wireless system (8+ years or so). It also supports speeds faster than what the cable company provides so no bottlenecks either. I originally wired my house for Ethernet when it was built and I haven't used it in years.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    For those with Sam's Club membership the DecoM4 are on sale now and work great and if you don't like it return it. I am sure there are other but more expensive options that work great. If you are unhappy with your service provider wifi this is a consideration. FYI

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    This would be ideal but impossible in my house. When it was built the goal was cable everywhere. Now it is ethernet. That's why I am describing mesh wifi system for those that can't do ethernet everywhere.
    Fair enough... if it's not nailed down, you should be able to tie a string to the cable, pull the cable back out, then pull Ethernet and cable with the string.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’ve got three Cat 6 Ethernet drops throughout the house, with a Google Wifi AP at each, all on a mesh network.

Setup was super easy.
    No dead spots.
    Fast WiFi everywhere.

Mesh definitely seems like a good way to go for usesbility and ease of setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    When we built, I put in 1x RG-59 and 2x Cat 5e per plate, in at least one location per room. Several rooms have multiple sets. I've since added a couple drops for PoE cameras in the soffits and cross connections between attic sections for thermal monitoring, hidden AP's, etc. Everything pulls back to a central point in the attic where I've rack mounted a 48 port PoE switch, cable tap, gateways, UPS, etc.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I’ve got three Cat 6 Ethernet drops throughout the house, with a Google Wifi AP at each, all on a mesh network.

Setup was super easy.
    No dead spots.
    Fast WiFi everywhere.

Mesh definitely seems like a good way to go for usesbility and ease of setup.

If they're interconnected, they don't need to be in a mesh. If you really have it set up that way, you're introducing a lot of inefficiency.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    If they're interconnected, they don't need to be in a mesh. If you really have it set up that way, you're introducing a lot of inefficiency.

Way beyond my pay grade.
    The first unit acts as the router.

The other two are AP’s...I think.

I just set it up the way google said to...it said having the AP’s connect wirelessly to the main unit is possible, but will introduce latency.

It also said the optimal way is to connect each with a hardline to the main unit so that’s what I did

Then the system automatically sets the network up...that’s about the extent of my network knowledge.

All I know is, it works great everywhere and we have a lot of devices.

How do you suggest I should change things?

24ee86df82f0221cc1e3bf97317270ab.png

73fe162465d0660ba29fe140681275d2.png

Attachments

• 24ee86df82f0221cc1e3bf97317270ab.png
      24ee86df82f0221cc1e3bf97317270ab.png
      14 KB · Views: 342
    • 73fe162465d0660ba29fe140681275d2.png
      73fe162465d0660ba29fe140681275d2.png
      13.7 KB · Views: 342

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I am not tech savvy so need help here. Our wifi router is downstairs in a room by front door. I get poor reception in the bedroom on opposite side of house as well as upstairs. Will something like this work to increase speeds and stop the "buffering" and dropping of wifi? Do I get rid of current router and use these alone?
    Thanks in advance for enlightenment :)

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Even replacing an old wifi router can do wonders.

Some time ago I realized my wifi router was not capable of the much higher internet speed I had. New wireless router, almost tripled the download speed.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Why am I posting this on a gun forum, I don't know but I thought some might like to know how I just updated my WiFi home system and it is blazing fast everywhere.

And it's on sale at Sam's Club, TP-Link Deco M4, $124.98.

We have Spectrum cable and used their wifi router and a repeater and had so-so connections with frequent drops and the need to reboot all the time. The wife was constantly complaining about dropped internet.
    So I did the research, EERO by Amazon and TP-Link Deco M4 were the choices for what I wanted to spend. EERO was $169 when I started research, next day it was like $249 and no free returns on Amazon. Sam's club no hassle with returns. So, I went the Deco M4 and let me tell you, install with app on your phone, took 10 minutes and have blazing fast speed everywhere in the house and in the yard. Put a Roku stick on one tv that couldn't get wifi before so still have Spectrum tv and pulled 2 Spectrum boxes and the wifi modem, back to Spectrum. Save $20.98 a month on bill.

If you are having a time with dropped wifi and slow speeds and are using rental equipment, consider buying this Deco system. Return the junk router. Hold everything though until you are conviced that you are happy with the new system.

When was the last time Spectrum updated your hardware? I had them replace mine a couple months ago, and geez, what a huge difference. My phone download speed is appx 400. My laptop logs download at 350, and uploads near 25. Prior hardware had my download at 40ish.

There was no charge for them updating my hardware.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I just set it up the way google said to...it said having the AP’s connect wirelessly to the main unit is possible, but will introduce latency.
    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say wired is better. If they're not connected with wireless, then they are not in a mesh.

Top Bottom