Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Someone has finally managed to print up and successfully fire a real firearm (in this case, a 1911-pattern) using sintered metal and lasers.

All these parts were printed:

3D-Printed-Metal-Gun-Components-Disassembled-Low-Res.jpg

and here's video of it being fired:

Check out that funky slide reciprocation at 1:35.

Blog post from the manufacturing company is here: World?s First 3D Printed Metal Gun - Solid Concepts Blog

I posted this under "General Firearms" instead of "Pistols" because I think it has more impact on manufacturing in general rather than anything having just to do with pistols.

What do y'all think?
    Capitol Armory ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check out that funky slide reciprocation at 1:35.

That's an example of a 1911 with a poorly fitted or tensioned extractor, and possibly also ejector issues. Erratic ejection, several shells ejected at 6-7 o'clock, overall ejection appeared very weak instead of the 7-10ft away you would want to see. Also, a poorly fitted extractor (and sometimes if it's maybe over-tensioned) can cause the cycling issues as was shown in the video. There are other factors that could be at play as well, but that is likely the major one.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That's an example of a 1911 with a poorly fitted or tensioned extractor, and possibly also ejector issues. Erratic ejection, several shells ejected at 6-7 o'clock, overall ejection appeared very weak instead of the 7-10ft away you would want to see. Also, a poorly fitted extractor (and sometimes if it's maybe over-tensioned) can cause the cycling issues as was shown in the video. There are other factors that could be at play as well, but that is likely the major one.

Regardless, it was created through a 3D printing process and successfully fired 50+ rounds without a failure. That's an achievement, regardless of the issues. I'm thinking it's unlikely they had a gunsmith on staff to make sure it ran perfectly.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Very neat.

If it is an extractor tension issue, break the sucker down, re-tension and go again.

I wonder what kind of longevity that pistol would have? Is it possible to know some sort of material strength compared to carbon steel normally used in a 1911?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The printers and time on the printers is extremely expensive. But the cost is only going to go down...

I like where they're going with this, even if I've said negative things in the past. Whatever makes gun ownership by law-abiding citizens in this country easier and more plentiful, so much the better. I think the big thing will be figuring out the most effective way to take this technology, or something similar, and scale it so that it can expand across the industry exponentially. If the metallurgy is sound in the long term, there could be some serious benefits to be derived from it. Make it as easy, as cheap, and as available as possible, and it only makes anti-gun efforts that much more impossible.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Real curious what the endurance of those sintered parts is vs. forged?

So am I. Remember some guns don't really need high-quality parts to work; unfortunately most of the super-cheaps guns were banned from import in 1968 and American super-cheapies have a pretty bad reputation. Although I would never own one, guns like Rohm revolvers which would be sold for about $50 today (if it were possible) have their place protecting people who truly can not afford anything better. And it may be a crappy gun, but it DOES work.

Another cool thing to consider is even if the metallurgy isn't that great, how long until we can print our own Colt vest pockets, Baby Brownings, Liberator pistols... even Kel-Tecs? Those low pressure rounds don't need the best quality steel, and if the barrel wears out faster than factory offerings... print another!

All we have to do is wait for the technology to become affordable enough for the average American. Interesting times certainly await us!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    So am I. Remember some guns don't really need high-quality parts to work; unfortunately most of the super-cheaps guns were banned from import in 1968 and American super-cheapies have a pretty bad reputation. Although I would never own one, guns like Rohm revolvers which would be sold for about $50 today (if it were possible) have their place protecting people who truly can not afford anything better. And it may be a crappy gun, but it DOES work.

Another cool thing to consider is even if the metallurgy isn't that great, how long until we can print our own Colt vest pockets, Baby Brownings, Liberator pistols... even Kel-Tecs? Those low pressure rounds don't need the best quality steel, and if the barrel wears out faster than factory offerings... print another!

All we have to do is wait for the technology to become affordable enough for the average American. Interesting times certainly await us!

Call me a cynic but the .gov WILL try to stop this. Probably by making the metal printing machine a restricted item.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Call me a cynic but the .gov WILL try to stop this. Probably by making the metal printing machine a restricted item.

There is already a project to build more 3D printers by using 3D printers! The genie is out of the bottle; regulating 3D printers will eventually prove less effective than regulating regular printers.

Top Bottom