• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    looking at building prices for a 30x40 with two 10' doors for our vehicles. this will be detached from the house. the metal building im looking into is around $10K not including assembly costs or concrete slab. Im wondering if it would be cheaper to build one out of wood instead. any builders on here that want to chime in?
    ARJ Defense ad

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    A neighbor of mine did his "garage" from a double wide carport and put corrugated steel on the outside to "wall" it in. He then insulated and 'rocked the interior. Looks pretty good too.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I ordered my (ex) shed from Oklahoma. It was wood framed (metal exterior) and the price built was half of an all steel building that I had to build myself. Plus the wood framed shed went up without a slab. I did that later. An all metal building requires a slab first. Also the wood frame made it much easier to add shelves and other improvements.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    In 1998 I built a 24x54 metal shop.
    I've done ZERO maintenance.

I highly recommend you re-think the two 10' doors and go with a single 18-footer. Having the 2-3' column between doors hamstrings what you can do with and what can be pulled or backed into the shop.

I put a single 18-foot door with an opener on the east side and a 14' opening on swing doors on the west side. This allows me to drive through the shop with a trailer of soil or firewood or whatever.

Definitely insulate. There is a 20* difference in temps. I also recommend the blanket type and not the spray-in. Spray in will discolor and get dirty after a while. And will eventually fall off.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    In 1998 I built a 24x54 metal shop.
    I've done ZERO maintenance.

I highly recommend you re-think the two 10' doors and go with a single 18-footer. Having the 2-3' column between doors hamstrings what you can do with and what can be pulled or backed into the shop.

I put a single 18-foot door with an opener on the east side and a 14' opening on swing doors on the west side. This allows me to drive through the shop with a trailer of soil or firewood or whatever.

Definitely insulate. There is a 20* difference in temps. I also recommend the blanket type and not the spray-in. Spray in will discolor and get dirty after a while. And will eventually fall off.

Concur. 100%

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I used to build steel framed buildings. Mostly storage buildings, garages, and car ports. I've also done wood framing.

After dealing with both I would say go steel if you can afford it. It will last forever if it's done right with pretty much 0 maintenance.

Not sure how much the price difference will be cause I haven't done either in a while but I can say the metal will use much less material to frame even though the price per foot is usually higher.

The expensive part is covering up the frame.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    im in the county so there would be no HOA to deal with. i like the metal buildings but there are a few things holding me back. With a wood frame, adding shelving or whatever would be easier. i dont want the building to look like a plain jane building, but that adds quite a bit of cost. Growing up in Michigan, all our sheds were wood but we never had any issues with maintenance so unless there's something down here that plaques wood sheds, i dont see an issue. I plan on putting it on a slab. also, i need the two doors on the side with the way our property is laid out. i want to be able to up our driveway and pull into the garage. going out either ends wouldnt work.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    With a wood frame, adding shelving or whatever would be easier

On the walls where I wanted a workbench, pegboard or shelves, I built conventional would framing and secured it to the purlins.

I also found a recycler who bought the fixtures of industrial facilities through Craigslist. I bought several all metal warehouse type shelving units that are 36x18x 8' tall. I could just put them where I wanted and move them easily enough as my shop layout changed.

Growing up in Michigan, all our sheds were wood but we never had any issues with maintenance so unless there's something down here that plaques wood sheds, i dont see an issue.

Paint? Beating up the bottom with a weed whacker?

also, i need the two doors on the side with the way our property is laid out

I can't envision a case where two is all that would work. I had double doors and found that the center section would either collect junk or was wasted floor space.

A car trailer with an 82" deck wouldn't fit through a 10' opening. My full-sized diesel truck I would have to fold in a mirror. You really do limit your options.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    all our buildings were on a high enough slab that you wouldnt chew up the boards doing yard work. ive attached a pic of the property layout. the big black blob is where the new building is planned to go. as you can see, the building is backed in the corner of out lot. this will allow us to pull right up into it. i cant go right due to property line, and i have a metal shed on the left with an overhang i built up.
    barn layout.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom