• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    I watch the Univison news from time to time. I speak Spanish and I admire the choice of female reporters. Anyway Mexican President Calderon made a speech last week about border violence and narco gang warfare in the border states of Mexico. Although he did say that Mexican law enforcement needed to do their part he blamed "over ten thousand US licensed gun stores near the Mexican border which are responsible for illegal weapons in Mexico and should be closed"

He is suggesting that the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution needs to be modified or repealed. I wonder how receptive Mexican legislators would be to changing their Constitution to allow extradition of criminals who might face the death penalty in the US? Perhaps they would like to change an antiquated justice system where corrupt judges hire their own "police" who supersede authority of real law enforcement and do their own investigations.

I have lived in Mexico or along the border a good part of my life. 95% of the people are good, hard working, religious and courteous. The government is a kleptocracy summed up by a legislator in Mexico City when I lived there: "show me a politician who is poor and I'll show you a poor politician".

I shot off a note to President Calderon, for all it's worth, telling him how highly I regard his people and the beauty of his country and how much I was offended by his comment. His address can be found on the internet, not that he would lower himself to read anything from a Texan.
    Texas SOT

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I still think his stings are being pulled from this side, by, get ready for this, CS Politicians. I bet you didn't see that coming. :banghead: :p

I agree there's a problem, and it's gotten worse over the last 50-60 years (ya, that's how long drugs have been causing issues at the border). But what you describe about "the border" is more what I think is the "true" border. A river isn't a border. It's where people by nature, have migrated to for fertile soil and that region has always been "crossed" by family and friends on both sides. Good, respectful people getting along until politicians use it as propaganda and drugs lords use to to their advantage for business reasons.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Actually Calderon has impressed me in some respects. Personally I feel that he is as honest as a Mexican President can be without being bumped off. His wife is known as a reformer within the Mexican government. However the government, top to bottom, is so filled with corrupt officials that nobody can be trusted. From the police officer who writes traffic tickets to the chief executive's office someone can be paid off who will pay his boss off who will pay his boss off etc.

In the tourist areas of Mexico City they have hired attractive young ladys as police officers. They work in pairs, take care of their equipment, ask tourists if they can help etc. They are friendly, speak English and always wear a smile. They have been told that if they are found to accept a bribe or if they flunk a drug test they will have lost one of the few paying jobs in "La Capital".

I just hate to hear a foreign government official from a place where government doesn't work instruct us on how we should govern ourselves. It's like taking driver's education from an Amish teacher or sex education from a Catholic Priest.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    So much easier to blame others for you problems than it is to admit to your problems. I would tell Mr. Calderon, when you point a finger at someone, you have 3 more pointing at you.

Sound advice I received in kindergarten.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    To hell with Mexico. Let it rot in it's own filth. It's PEOPLE should be fed up and wanting change, and they should get off their ass and do it.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    To hell with Mexico. Let it rot in it's own filth. It's PEOPLE should be fed up and wanting change, and they should get off their ass and do it.

80 years ago they threw out a dictatorial government and wrote a new constitution. There has been chaos and poverty and lack of basic rights ever since. At least we have a right to throw the bums out. My point is we have a constitution with a second amendment which is unique and when we lose it we will be no better off then Mexico.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    80 years ago they threw out a dictatorial government and wrote a new constitution. There has been chaos and poverty and lack of basic rights ever since. At least we have a right to throw the bums out. My point is we have a constitution with a second amendment which is unique and when we lose it we will be no better off then Mexico.

We are significantly better off than Mexico well beyond the 2nd Amendment, why do you think millions of their people have fled to this country? However, this isn't a country measuring contest, it has everything to do with the average Mexican not standing up for themselves.

They can't control the drug cartels, what makes you think they can control millions of pissed off civilians, soldiers, and cops?

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    I'm also a member of this excellent forum MÉXICO ARMADO - El Foro de Tiro y Caceria mas Grande de Mexico which is kind of "Texas Gun Talk" , Mexico. Naturally it's in Spanish but it has many US members.

Based on what I have read there over the years plenty of individuals wish to own weapons, get training and of course defend themselves. A surprising number of citizens of Mexico are very gun-savvy. I always assume that they would be willing to replace their own government by force of arms. However legally owning a gun in Mexico is very complicated and involves, of course, paying off officials on up the line. As a final insult no citizen is trusted with a pistol in what is considered a military or "large" caliber. Semiautomatic centerfire rifles; no way. The government has successfully disarmed the very people who put them in power with force of arms in the 1910-1920 Revolution.

The protection of the 2nd Amendment was designed to prevent just such an event. To my knowlege no other country on earth protects private gun ownership in it's constitution. The 1% of the Mexican population that runs things leaving the other 99% in virtual slavery would never tolerate a 2nd Amendment US style. Current trends in Washington (unless you vote) could make Texas resemble Mexico even more.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I saw a video and remember the lady's last line (or thereabouts) at a congressional hearing of some sort. "We don't need the 2A for duck hunting, we need it to protect us from people like you".

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    What scares me is that our government is in complete agreement with the Mexican government concerning the 2nd amendment.
    Once we are disarmed overrunning us will be much less of a task.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    They need to change their policies about gun ownership.They let the criminals takeover because they disarmed their people.Mexico needs another revolution.

Top Bottom