TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Austin’s top single-family water user in 2017: a U.S. congressman
    19 hours ago by Philip Jankowski, American-Statesman Staff

Selected quotes:

"The sprawling West Austin home of Congressman Mike McCaul used more city-supplied water than any other single-family residence in 2017, according to the Austin water utility."

"McCaul’s hillside home near Lake Austin was one of 22 residences calculated to have used more than one million gallons of city water in 2017. The exact amount of water consumed at McCaul’s $7.3 million hillside home is unclear because the family elected to have some information about their usage redacted from public records."

More at https://www.statesman.com/news/loca...user-2017-congressman/96egsvzrWWwRvNWpbefhfO/
    Lynx Defense

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Be quiet peasant!

Not if Local utility activist Paul Robbins has anything to do with it. Thank God someone is there to tell you how to spend your money. :p

“These people have wealth that most of us in the city could not imagine,” Robbins told the Statesman. “It would be easy for them to hire someone that could help them save water. They simply just don’t care.”

pols_naked-35917.jpg

Local utility activist!! :roflfunny::roflfunny:

Reactions: MTA

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Maybe 'cause he is the worst water user in town while the city is still under water restrictions?

http://www.austintexas.gov/department/watering-restrictions

Perhaps they have a variance.

Watering Variances
    In limited situations, Austin Water may grant a variance from the water restrictions. All variance requests must be submitted using the applications below. Variances are issued on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must follow the current watering schedule until Austin Water approves a variance.

Large Property – for large residential or commercial property that cannot be completely watered under the current watering schedule (does not apply to new xeriscape landscape projects).

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Was curious as to where his money came from. Appears he married well. Here is what Wiki says:

McCaul is married to Linda Mays McCaul. She is the daughter of Clear Channel Communications chairman Lowry Mays and sister of its CEO Mark Mays. In 2011, Roll Call named McCaul as one of the wealthiest members of the United States Congress, surpassing then U.S. Senator John Kerry (D-MA). His net worth was estimated at $294 million, which is approximately 300% higher than it was in the previous year ($74 million).[16] In 2004, Roll Call estimated his net worth at just $12 million. His wealth increase was due to large monetary transfers from his wife's family.[17] The McCauls live in West Lake Hills, Texas, a wealthy suburb of Austin, Texas, with their children, daughters Caroline, Jewell, Avery, and Lauren, and a son, Michael.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Was curious as to where his money came from. Appears he married well. Here is what Wiki says:

McCaul is married to Linda Mays McCaul. She is the daughter of Clear Channel Communications chairman Lowry Mays and sister of its CEO Mark Mays. In 2011, Roll Call named McCaul as one of the wealthiest members of the United States Congress, surpassing then U.S. Senator John Kerry (D-MA). His net worth was estimated at $294 million, which is approximately 300% higher than it was in the previous year ($74 million).[16] In 2004, Roll Call estimated his net worth at just $12 million. His wealth increase was due to large monetary transfers from his wife's family.[17] The McCauls live in West Lake Hills, Texas, a wealthy suburb of Austin, Texas, with their children, daughters Caroline, Jewell, Avery, and Lauren, and a son, Michael.

Lowry Mays is a pretty nice guy. Aggie (PetEng). He founded Clear Channel in '72 w/ $150k. He took over after having co-signed a note for two friends who defaulted. McCombs was an early investor.

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    Maybe 'cause he is the worst water user in town while the city is still under water restrictions?

http://www.austintexas.gov/department/watering-restrictions

He may be the worst, but I doubt he’s the only one. My sarcastic point was that there is usually a trend to be noted when guys like hat are called out. Not saying he should be able to do anything outside the laws of the land, but the trend is clearly the left gets away with all kinds of crap while the right is roasted over the lava pits of doom.

All you have to do is take a look at our POTUS to see that in all its ugly reality. (Whether you like him or not.). While some is self induced, the disparity better him and BHO is ridonkulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    He may be the worst, but I doubt he’s the only one.
    As the article said ""McCaul’s hillside home near Lake Austin was one of 22 residences calculated to have used more than one million gallons of city water in 2017".

The AAS (not my favorite newspaper) publishes the highest noncommercial user each year so it isn't a new thing just for Repubs. I remember 1 year where it was Lance Armstrong before he was exposed as a cheat.

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Water is a touchy subject. Water rights are even touchier. I use my fair share, but if he's wasting it, I'd call him out. I grew up in the era when everyone watered the lawn in the afternoon on Saturdays. Yes, you don't get mold on your St. Augustine, but it's extremely wasteful. I think it's one of those situations where If you can afford it, it's still not right.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I come from the panhandle, a place where T Pickens raped the water rights from most of the area and then sold them off... Water IS a touchy subject. A million gallons a year is ridiculous I don't give a damn how big your house is.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I come from the panhandle, a place where T Pickens raped the water rights from most of the area and then sold them off... Water IS a touchy subject. A million gallons a year is ridiculous I don't give a damn how big your house is.

I am trying to figure out how the heck even a big residence could go through a million gallons a year..

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I am trying to figure out how the heck even a big residence could go through a million gallons a year..

Probably irrigation of his 1.85 acres.

From NPR:
    “Audubon International estimates that the average American course uses 312,000 gallons per day. In a place like Palm Springs, where 57 golf courses challenge the desert, each course eats up a million gallons a day. That is, each course each day in Palm Springs consumes as much water as an American family of four uses in four years.”

Top Bottom