Michigan High School Shooting Leaves Three Dead, Six Injured

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 22, 2017
Richmond
Who teaches their 15-year old kid “Look, when you get arrested, all you say to the cops is that you want a lawyer.”

I will be. Records can follow kids around for longer than they should. Mine are already going to be disadvantaged going into the future due to their background, I don't want some poor decisions in their youth haunting them forever.

Them being in that position could be due to my failure in parenting, despite my best, or the result of a misunderstanding or overzealous cops.

If they've done something truly heinous then they should be punished. If not, I don't want them giving more rope to hang themselves.

This is coming from somebody with a very favorable background with the law but if history is any teacher, prosecution and police can't always be trusted to do right.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jul 1, 2008
That place east of Waco....
Michigan School Shooting Suspect’s Parents Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter

The parents were called to the school on Tuesday, hours before the shooting, and told to get the teen counseling within 48 hours, citing disturbing images teachers found in his possession, the prosecutor’s office said. The parents left the school without the teen on the morning of the attack. About a half-hour after the shooting, at 1:22 p.m., his mother texted him, “Ethan, don’t do it,” according to the prosecutor’s office.

Probably paywalled: https://www.wsj.com/articles/michig...ged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-11638552325
Since the school also knew about the issue, the administration will also be charged, right?.....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

BBL

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Feb 8, 2021
TX
If they've done something truly heinous then they should be punished. If not, I don't want them giving more rope to hang themselves.
Without more information, this is a toughie. Texting your kid "Don't do it" just before he kills a bunch of kids is not gonna go over easy with the public. What do you think it implies for the parents?
Again, not enough information as of yet but things are starting to shape up.

TipBledsoe

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jun 28, 2020
La Vernia, TX
It’s about damned time!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 22, 2017
Richmond
Without more information, this is a toughie. Texting your kid "Don't do it" just before he kills a bunch of kids is not gonna go over easy with the public. What do you think it implies for the parents?
Again, not enough information as of yet but things are starting to shape up.

My comments had nothing to do with this family. Simply commenting about my own kids.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
Politicians, lawyers, every LEO I know who has kids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, I’ve never said that to either of my kids. We tried to teach them whatever problem you think you have, it’s guaranteed to be worse if it turns into a legal problem.

Working backwards from there, just like marriage is the leading cause of divorce, every arrest starts with an LEO encounter. Avoid an LEO encounter and you’re pretty much guaranteed not to be arrested.

Most common LEO encounter: traffic citation/moving violation. Control the driving environment through situational awareness and discipline and the likelihood of having an LEO encounter drops to the infinitesimally low category.

The flip side of the argument is essentially saying ‘hey, it’s ok to get arrested, just don’t say anything and ask for a lawyer and it’ll all work out in the end’. That conversation skips past everything that leads up to the LEO encounter. Doesn’t address personal responsibility or critical thinking.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 23, 2011
Little Elm
Um, saying dont talk to anyone without a lawyer or parents present isnt the only thing you teach your kids. You arent telling them that a 5 patting their ass and sending them down the road abdicating your responsibilityto them f ou r the rest of their lives. You are also not talking in general terms of being a witness or reporting crime information. Let's not over simplify things.

That said, a good interviewer will have them discombobulated and admitting to the Kennedy assassination in no time. They arent mature or adult enough to joust with someone who's sole job it is to make them admit to something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom