Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You can still order one on their website.
    Yeah, they're toast. They're in the Finnish version of Chapter 11.

And no, you can't order one. The Jolla phone is still on the site but the tablet has been scrubbed from the site. There's a lengthy mea culpa post on their blog apologizing for killing the tablet. It seems they took all the money people paid for tablets and blew it on software development. In the meantime, they just...Oops!...forgot to manufacture and ship the hardware people had paid for.

Yeah, I'm bummed for now.

Then again, other people have managed to rip me off for more than happened this time. Such is life.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It seems they took all the money people paid for tablets and blew it on software development. In the meantime, they just...Oops!...forgot to manufacture and ship the hardware people had paid for.
    ...Then again, other people have managed to rip me off for more than happened this time. Such is life.
    I was mightily surprised to get this email today:
    Dear Jolla Tablet Pre-order Customer,
    As you may know, the Jolla Tablet project has since been discontinued. You can read more here.
    As such, and seeing as Jolla will be unable to fulfill you order, Jolla has decided to provide you a full refund.
    Jolla will be advising PayPal to issue you a refund within the next few days. PayPal will subsequently process your refund as soon as they can. And, depending on how you paid, it may take up to 30 days for the money to become available to you.
    Nothing further is required of you at this time, as we have a record of your transaction.
    We apologize for the drawn-out nature of this case and we thank you again for considering Jolla Tablet powered by SFOS.
    Sincerely,
    Jolla Ltd.
    I'm not exactly filled with confidence but they have now given me a bit of hope.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It does absolutely no good to disable or turn off Win 10 "features". Microsoft just re-enables them at their whim.

There is NOTHING you can do.

The only way to defeat it is to never install it.

Windows 7 or 8.1 have worked well for me.

I have used:
    win 286
    win 386
    win 3.0
    win 3.1
    win 3.11
    win 95
    win 98
    win 98 rev 2
    win NT 3.1
    win NT 4.0
    win XP
    server 2000
    server 2003
    win 7
    win 8.1
    server 2008
    server 2008 R2
    server 2012

win 98 rev 2, win 7, win 8.1 are the only ones I liked.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    win 98 rev 2, win 7, win 8.1 are the only ones I liked.
    I haven't touched Windows since Win 7. However, I suppose I can make use of any iteration of Windows as long as Cygwin works without problems. :)

Yes, that was meant slightly in jest. Having a pared-down Unix running atop Windows was once a big problem-solver for me. I remember, though, thinking that was backwards back in the days when the BSOD was a daily occurrence. I felt that Windows should run atop Unix, leaving all the memory handling to an OS that could actually do the job. Unfortunately, Tarantella by SCO, which beautifully did that job at the time, never caught on; SCO was already going to hell at the time.

I think I need to take the next exit off memory lane. If I think about it too much, I'm liable to install INX and start crafting a lovely selection of tinfoil hats.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Linux Mint is a fantastic desktop alternative as well as Ubuntu. Mint is based off of Ubuntu and both are extremely well GUI driven in that whatever you need to do, you can do via clicking if you don't know how to use Linux. That being said, learn the damn command line. It's way better. I canned Windows once I sold my gaming PC. I'm a pure Linux Mint / CentOS and OS X shop now.

Being an IT engineer, I guess it is a bit easier for me to suggest Linux though as it's one of my primary operating systems at work too. I use my Windows laptop for the ticketing system and beyond that, nothing else. Thunderbird Email works great.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That video repeatedly crashes Dolphin on Android. Weird.

ETA: Excellent video, now that I've been able to watch it all.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I was mightily surprised to get this email today:
    I'm not exactly filled with confidence but they have now given me a bit of hope.
    You could have knocked me over with a feather today. I needed to use paypal for something (a rarity for me) and when I logged on, I saw a full refund from Jolla Oy posted a few days ago.

I would have rather had the tablet but I'll settle for getting my money back.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You could have knocked me over with a feather today. I needed to use paypal for something (a rarity for me) and when I logged on, I saw a full refund from Jolla Oy posted a few days ago.

I would have rather had the tablet but I'll settle for getting my money back.

Tangential, but I picked up an Nvidia K1 and I'm VERY pleased with it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's probably a good thing, for the public at large, that a lot of Linux distros are coming along and really improving their game on the GUI side of things, making it that much more within reach of the average consumer.

I'm primarily on Windows 7 at home, and 8.1 at work, though I've been using VM's and VPS' a lot more lately. I foresee myself probably moving to Fedora, locked down as much as possible with SELinux, Mac for some of the things I normally do on PC, and maybe turning things 180 degrees from what I do now by using a Windows VM setup for the programs I can't get on any other platform.

NoobShoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    San Antonio
    VM's are certainly great. The only problem you run into with running VM's especially on mac is RAM. Gotta make sure you have enough RAM. I work off a mac and have 50+ tabs open in firefox as well as a windows vm up at all times and I have 16gb's of ram. I've realized the use of Linux since starting my career in Networking. You can never go wrong with Linux especially for just daily use of web browsing and text editor/document creating.

Top Bottom