Middle School Shooting

txbikerman

TGT Addict
Jul 10, 2013
mckinney
it seems that these things happen more and more often. It is a scary world out there. Prayers going up for all involved

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
it seems that these things happen more and more often.
Yes, it seems that way. Statistically, though, that's not the case. 2012 was an anomalously bad year and 2013 may turn out to be the same but, over the long view, shootings at schools have always happened.

Nowadays, though, the media consistently throws them to the metaphorical front page and leaves them there.

BG1960

Well-Known
Nov 9, 2008
Unincorporated East Harris County
I am firmly of the opinion that the media is driving these things. If nothing else, someone who would have been a quiet little obit in the back of the newspaper gets to be front page all over the world for a few days. Need to go back to the old ways and forget the names of these types.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
I am firmly of the opinion that the media is driving these things. If nothing else, someone who would have been a quiet little obit in the back of the newspaper gets to be front page all over the world for a few days. Need to go back to the old ways and forget the names of these types.
I agree with that.
But also, it's the parenting that I ultimately blame.

There is very little chance of this happening with parent that is active in their child's day to day life. I understand that some parents or guardians cannot be around 24/7. But a kid doesn't just decide to do this overnight. Their daily behavior as well as the company and culture they keep still need to be monitored and if need be, put in check. But, tell that to a 20 to 40 year old parent these days, who isn't that much more mature then a 15 year old anyway, and you will probably will just get a puzzled response, if any at all.

Yes, it seems that way. Statistically, though, that's not the case. 2012 was an anomalously bad year and 2013 may turn out to be the same but, over the long view, shootings at schools have always happened.

Nowadays, though, the media consistently throws them to the metaphorical front page and leaves them there.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the article of what Holder just said today about active shooter events in the other thread here.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
Jan 28, 2013
Garland, Texas

True. These things arent happening more often.......they have always happened. But in this day and age of 24-7 news coverage and reporters reporting the slightest fart from one of the Kardashians. we are going to hear about these shootings unlike in the past.

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
Very Sad, I wish it wasn't pushed to the front page or to the news channel over and over. Soon kids will be terrified to go to school.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
Jan 28, 2013
Garland, Texas
2 DEAD IN NV SHOOTING - Misleading as one of the two was the perp and died of a self inflicted gunshot.
I am sure they will make him out to be a victim as well, somehow....some way....

Top Bottom