Join TexasGunTalk

Might be moving to San Antonio

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Old Arn, May 21, 2008.

1. Old Arn

Old Arn New Member

May 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey, everyone,

I'll be flying out to San Antonio next week for a trial period on a job offer. If I make it, I may be living there for a while, so I've got a ton of questions.

- What are the requirements to purchase a handgun? Is residency required, and if so, how long until residency takes effect?

- Like the above question, what are the requirements to sell a handgun? I ask, because I was about to put one up for sale, then got the call that I'm being whisked away to your friggen' huge state! :D

- Where are some good places to shoot, indoors and/or out. What about membership fees and requirements?

- My trial period is 2.5 weeks. Are there any must-see gun shops or shows nearby? I'll be working and staying near where 10 and 410 meet, near Methodist Hospital. I'm shopping around for a CCW, so if I can physically handle and compare the models I'm looking for, it would really help.

I know these questions are all gun related, but I figure all the other attractions will be pointed out by everyone else. Well, I'm really excited about this job opportunity as well as the great things I'm hearing about San Antonio and Austin. Not that I hate my home state, but there's just no work for me here, and I really don't want to move to California unless it's for a dream job.

Arnold

2. Texas Armadillo

Texas Armadillo Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Hi, someone will be around shortly to answer the gun question. I wanted to make a quick remark about San Antonio knife laws... they are weird. Do not carry a locking blade knife in city limits. Illegal. If you carry a knife I would read up on the city knife restrictions before taking one in.

Just my 2 cents.:D

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Purchasing a handgun is open game. You just have to legal on a federal level, (ie. no felonies, etc.).

Selling a handgun is also open game. There are no limitations beyond common sense. You have to be confident that the person is not with ill intent and can legally own the firearm.

I would try the Bullet Hole. It seems to be a pretty neat place, ask the SA guys or HK_Fiend for a review of them.

For shows, you can always check out the Saxet Gun Show. You can search around for their website on Google. I believe it's in Universal City (N. SA).

4. zaraster

zaraster Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    Welcome

5. Old Arn

Old Arn New Member

May 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the quick replies! So, let me get this straight. You don't have to be a resident of Texas to purchase a handgun as long as you pass all Federal requirements, but carry of a lockback pocketknife is illegal in SA? I'll have to read up more on this, but that sounds really weird. It looks like I might have to switch to a small fixed blade, if that's legal. Does a concealed carry permit allow for a lockback? My Florida permit is in the mail right now, and I'll have to look up the reciprocity.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure on knife legislation. Alot of it is really old 1920's era stuff. You could always call the SAPD with a few questions.

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't buy one here with a Florida ID. They ask for the state when they call in the background check.

7. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I thought the ID had to be in-state. IE a Texas Drivers License or so.
    In which case it may be better to wait until you actually set up residence in the Texas Nation.

8. Old Arn

Old Arn New Member

May 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    If a TX ID is needed, how long does it take to establish residency? All the requirements I can find only deal with residency for college.

9. stockFD3S

stockFD3S Active Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    I went there twice and was swept twice. That is enough for me not to go back.

10. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It is my understanding that, in person, you can only purchase a gun here (may just apply to handguns, I'm not sure honestly) after establishing residency. I believe residency is considered at least 90 days.

Bullet Hole is a pretty neat little range: http://www.bullethole.com/

They have class III full auto stuff there that you can rent, including Mp5's, Sig 551 and 552, Uzis, and I believe they still have an M3a1 greasegun with a suppressor. ;) They are located on the southwest side of San Antonio. I've rented one of their mp5's before and man, what a blast but the rounds go quick. ;)