• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I disagree. First off, there is nothing in the First Amendment that says you must use a certain tone of voice to exercise the enshrined free speech. Historically, political speech back when the Constitution was written tended to be very volatile stuff, so I'd have to say that this kind of action is exactly what the Founders would approve of in this situation. I can't call that un-American.

Second, why should we keep a civil tone? Obamacare's whole premise is that profit is evil, when the only two reasons for a person to work are for profit or being forced to work, and that people have a right to health care, which is saying that people have a right to the products of the labors of other people. Look up slavery in the dictionary; this is it. Then there's the fact that nowhere in the Constitutional Powers granted the Federal Government is anything like Obamacare even remotely authorized. Anybody who says this plan is Constitutional is on crack, period.

Should we speak out against immoral and illegal actions by our own government with a soft voice and try to reason with these criminals? Should we try to bargain with the people who are trying to enslave Americans? Or do we stand up and not tell them simply "no" but scream "**** no"?

+1,000,000 and a hell yes, that is exactly what I was thinking.
    Guns International

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ...this is a representative democracy...

Actually... it's a republic, and no kind of democracy at all (thankfully!) We do have some democratic traditions in how we choose our representatives, but that's really as far as it goes.

Heck, we don't even choose some of our representatives directly - look at the way the Electoral College works. Then realize that, originally, the people voted for the representative from their Congressional District, but Senators were appointed by their respective state legislature.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Actually... it's a republic, and no kind of democracy at all (thankfully!)

Not to be too picky but it's a federation of states.

We do have some democratic traditions in how we choose our representatives, but that's really as far as it goes.

It's democratic in how the members of Congress are elected. House reps are elected by democratic majority vote by 'we, the people' in the districts they're assigned. Senators are elected by a statewide democratic vote and each state has two of them. They then go to Washington to represent their constituents and vote in our interest. This doesn't always happen, since often they vote according to party interests, or for a single issue like health care reform, and not necessarily what their constituents want. That's why people are packing the town hall meetings now - they don't like the way they're being represented.

Heck, we don't even choose some of our representatives directly - look at the way the Electoral College works.

Right, we don't pick the electors, and the number of them is determined by the population of each state, but they are supposed to cast the statewide popular vote for President as determined by democratic vote within each state. Whichever Presidential candidate wins the majority vote, by us, gets those electors.

Then realize that, originally, the people voted for the representative from their Congressional District, but Senators were appointed by their respective state legislature.

Right, sort of, but Senators have been elected by popular vote since the 17th Amendment was ratified in 1911. But you did say "originally".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not to be too picky but it's a federation of states.

This, too. But that federation is a republican federation. Article IV, Section 4:

[SIZE=+1]Section 4.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence. [/SIZE]

Meanwhile, no form of the word "democracy" (including "democratic") appears anywhere in the Constitution.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    This, too. But that federation is a republican federation. Article IV, Section 4:

Or from the Pledge - "And to the Republic, for which it stands ... " Yes, yes - I get that. I used the term "representative democracy" to mean that we're represented in Congress by people elected by majority vote of the people in their district. The word 'representative' significantly modifies 'democracy' - at least in the way I intended it.

"Meanwhile, no form of the word "democracy" (including "democratic") appears anywhere in the Constitution.

No, it doesn't because it would be a country ruled by majority vote - mob rule, sort of.

Circling back around to the point I thought I was making, these members of Congress are standing in front of people that voted to put them there, and they're insulting, ignoring, and in some cases intimidating, people they're supposed to be working for. It's often said that politicians are out of touch; they really don't seem to get it and are totally in denial about what's going on. Like Sheila Jackson Lee yakking on the cell phone in the middle of a question, for example. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom