• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R_Comstock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Ingleside
    I put in my application earlier last month and I enclosed a copy of my Active Duty military ID, in addition to everything else required. This was to apply under the waived fee for military that the State offers. Today, in my mailbox was the following letter:

"In reviewing your application, it appears that proper documentation was not submitted...Please submit:

1) A copy of your military ID
    2) a copy of one of the following: current leave earnings statement, current orders, current pay stub, or a letter from CO.
    3) a copy of your military pistol qualification scores within the last five years (needed if not showing proficiency with a CHL instructor)"

So, they needed a copy of my ID AND a copy of one of the items in item 2. I copied my orders and sent them as instructed. There was nothing I found requiring the second document so brothers in arms, take note! :patriot:

-BM2 Ross Comstock, USCG
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Did you turn in a pistol qualification form from the class, or did you fail to enclose the military record showing proficiency? If the later, then I can see them doing this.

The other option is kinda lame, but I bet they get alot of "active duty" military people. Although I think it should be ALL military people, past and present.

R_Comstock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Ingleside
    I did NOT turn in my pistol qualifications from the service. This is only necessary if you don't shoot in front of a CHL instructor. (I don't know of any instructor who will certify you without shooting...military or not) I sent them the shooting certificate from the CHL class.

As for past military...I don't know what the requirements are for documentation but they do have a reduced rate for retired members. I imagine they would need your retired ID and your pension LES.

-BM2

Just for clarification, DPS was requesting item 2 only from the letter. I included the other 2 items so everyone would know what DPS is asking for.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    hmmm

I enclosed a: Copy of Mil ID Front/back
    Copy of LES (leave & earnings statement)
    Copy of DD 214

However, 6 days prior to the TXDPS Online status changing from processing to Issued the status read "Application Error Please start application over". I said the hay with it and would fix that when I got home. Next day the status was switched back to "processing" then a few days later to "Issued" 62 days from class I had plastic.

Top Bottom