Military changing addresses frequently

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Blue Falcon, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington
    I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with this. I am in the military and my home of record is Texas. So I was wondering how the change of address law works for me if I am moving around alot. My next station is in Colorado so would I have to change my address to Colorado to be compliant with the law? I have no intention of changing my home of record in texas. Thanks

Robert

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What is a "home of record"? Is that an official record maintained by an agency, a military term, etc?

The technical answer to your question is that the Government Code requires that you notify the DPS if you "move from the address stated on the license". That means every time you live at another address you must notify DPS.

The reason for that is to be able to make notifications to you if needed.

3. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    That is an interesting question, as when you change station you still maintain your license plates and drivers license of your "home of record" don't you? I would recommend contacting the DPS office and asking them.

4. Willy

Willy Well-Known

Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I suspect that you will be able to list your out of state address on your TX CHL. When I was in the military, I drove for years on an expired driver's license, which was valid as long as I had my military ID with it. It will cost you $25 every time you move.

5. biglucky

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Willy the problem with that is that your CHL address has to be the same as your DL address. If you drive forever on your same TX DL then you would have a problem with the addresses not matching up.

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No, it does not.
    No, he would not.

The DL and registration laws have provisions for military. The CHL laws, in regards to the address on the license, do not.

7. biglucky

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I stand corrected.

8. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In my last instructor renewal class we were told that DPS has yet to suspend anyone for failing to report their address change.

I certainly cannot speak for DPS, but I don't imagine a military guy who moves around a bit will get twisted up over a fail to change address.

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington
    Tx investigator, the "home of record" is what the military members use as an address in the US from their home state. Most people use their parents house or a relative. I just really wanted to know if I will have to change my CHL address if my drivers license address is not going to change. Thanks for all the input.

10. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    You may need to get a new CHL for the new state if they don't have reciprocity with Texas. Soldiers generally maintain the home of record that is most advantageous to them. States like Texas with no income tax are attractive to maintain as home of record. Florida is another one soldiers like to claim.