• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Anyone else watch the episode of "militia rising" last night, I think it was on the Discovery channel. I'm not sure what to make of it, though it did peak my interest and I've been researching Texas militias out of curiosity. Are there any militia members here on the forum who can offer some insight? Discovery is focusing on an organization named the "Watchmen of America" who's more of a national militia with chapters throughout the U.S. Some of these organizations appear to be professional, well organized, well trained and well equipped while others seemed to be a group of cowboys playing army men, with poor leadership and no real direction but with good intentions I suppose. Thoughts and opinions?
    Venture Surplus ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'mma have to record and watch that. I know at hicksville, there's some guys who are part of a militia, but I've never seen much first hand.

Kuhuna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    The "Cloud"
    I was kinda embarrassed for them. From what I saw of the one group they could not even build a shelter. I don't think one of them could run a mile with out a defibrillator. I almost think this show was made to make the look foolish.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I was kinda embarrassed for them. From what I saw of the one group they could not even build a shelter. I don't think one of them could run a mile with out a defibrillator. I almost think this show was made to make the look foolish.

And interestingly enough there seem to be an endless supply of these fools wanting to be on TV!!!

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I changed the channel after about 10 minutes of it. This is aimed at making gun owners look crazy. What I saw has led me to believe that they are nothing more than some overweight gun enthusiasts who want to take it to the next level and play soldier. I haven't served our country, and I don't intend to pretend like I do - they shouldn't either.

I have nothing against being prepared maybe even with a group of close friends, but these guys take it to the next level. And even then, I sure as hell wouldn't reveal what I'm doing to the whole world.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Militias are irrelevant. I've known a few people that were part of one. Honestly, those groups are a joke, and more often than not really just do not understand the modern day reality we live in. It's a novel concept, but it just doesn't work nowadays, and more often than not is where people go to play Army and "live the dream". No offense to anyone here that may be a part of one, but that's my personal feeling on the matter.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I think you guys have a closed minded point of view concerning militias. I am not in one, but wouldn't rule out joining. Regardless of how good some are and how silly others seem to be, they all have a common nobility and when the shit that a lot of us think is going to happen, happens, we will be thankful for their help and probably "fall in". To me, saying these guys are playing soldier is saying the same for guys that like to dress up and go to tactical shooting events and classes. Their not "pretending to serve our country", they are training to serve our country if and when they are needed. I understand it's a hell of a lot different these days but theres no way in hell they are irrelevant. Thats the apathetic state of mind that got us where we are in the first place. Don't let the dumb asses that want to show off on TV and a few you may have met, make you think you know what they are all about and how they operate. What their intentions are and which ones may or may not have "served our country" and are therefore pretending too. Nothing but a bunch of negative assumptions and narrow minded "opinions" to me. Don't take this as a personal attack either cause it's not. It's also not about militias nearly as much as it's about my disappointment in seeing fellows such as yourselves, whom I think are intelligent good guys, talking out of their buts about something they clearly aren't familiar with. I know I may get a verbal beat down for this, but I thought this was ridiculous and just couldn't keep my fingers off of the keyboard. Theres not many positive things on our side of whats going on in this country, lets not be negative about the ones that are. God bless.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I think you guys have a closed minded point of view concerning militias. I am not in one, but wouldn't rule out joining. Regardless of how good some are and how silly others seem to be, they all have a common nobility and when the shit that a lot of us think is going to happen, happens, we will be thankful for their help and probably "fall in". To me, saying these guys are playing soldier is saying the same for guys that like to dress up and go to tactical shooting events and classes. Their not "pretending to serve our country", they are training to serve our country if and when they are needed. I understand it's a hell of a lot different these days but theres no way in hell they are irrelevant. Thats the apathetic state of mind that got us where we are in the first place. Don't let the dumb asses that want to show off on TV and a few you may have met, make you think you know what they are all about and how they operate. What their intentions are and which ones may or may not have "served our country" and are therefore pretending too. Nothing but a bunch of negative assumptions and narrow minded "opinions" to me. Don't take this as a personal attack either cause it's not. It's also not about militias nearly as much as it's about my disappointment in seeing fellows such as yourselves, whom I think are intelligent good guys, talking out of their buts about something they clearly aren't familiar with. I know I may get a verbal beat down for this, but I thought this was ridiculous and just couldn't keep my fingers off of the keyboard. Theres not many positive things on our side of whats going on in this country, lets not be negative about the ones that are. God bless.

Training to become a better shooter is not the same as running "extraction" drills, nor is it the same as doing patrols of our borders. Also, if they really wanted to train to serve our country if and when they are needed, shouldn't they join the reserves?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As far as the reserves go, I spent 6 yrs with them. And not all reserve units will teach a whole lot about anything.

I also believe it could create a conflict of interest( I know that's not the right term).

National guard may be better.

I do believe a militia "could" do a lot of good things. The problem is that it would need to train like the military does and that is not a cheap prospect.

Also, considering most would have their own rifles it would not be terribly uniform so training wouldn't be either.

Didn't watch the show and I haven't ever seen any militia training but a militia with well trained instructors and good leadership that required discipline and had no qualms about kicking out those who didn't take it seriously could be effective....I think.

I gotta finish my chili now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Training to become a better shooter is not the same as running "extraction" drills, nor is it the same as doing patrols of our borders. Also, if they really wanted to train to serve our country if and when they are needed, shouldn't they join the reserves?

Some of them have different beliefs then you and I. They should join the reserves if they want to serve our country because YOU say so? Obviously not. Some people want to serve in their own way. Some people, like me, CAN'T join(in my case because of a blood clotting disorder I was born with that has wreaked havoc on my body), and still want to help in whatever area they think they fit in and can be good at. There's so many variables dealing with ones reasoning for being a militia man and none that are bad, that I know of. Why turn it into a negative thing?

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Some of them have different beliefs then you and I. They should join the reserves if they want to serve our country because YOU say so? Obviously not. Some people want to serve in their own way. Some people, like me, CAN'T join(in my case because of a blood clotting disorder I was born with that has wreaked havoc on my body), and still want to help in whatever area they think they fit in and can be good at. There's so many variables dealing with ones reasoning for being a militia man and none that are bad, that I know of. Why turn it into a negative thing?

It was a suggestion, not a demand. My attention drifted in and out of the episode, but I watched a group of them do some "extraction" drill and clear a house because Hurricane season was coming up. Maybe it's a good idea, and this show has picked out horrible examples - maybe.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I understood it was a suggestion. I personally think these shows make anything out to be silly intentionally. They want the most extreme of the type, almost beyond what is rational, so they can get ratings. I don't think people should use any TV show to play any part in an opinion about something. God bless them for practicing extraction drills. I would rather them come attempt to help me in a time like that, as apposed to the police, whom after Katrina, went around on a gun grab and treated law abiding citizens like criminals even going as far to punching an 80 year old woman in the face. No thanks officer, I think I'll keep my gun, but if you want it that bad I suppose you can try and take it...

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I don't know that they're or consider themselves "militia"??? It appears they play more of a supporting role to other agencies during state disasters and such, like the Red Cross or Civil Air Patrol.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What exactly does anyone think a militia is going to "fall in" on? I hear a lot of that. The whole "When this happens, we'll be ready.", or "When the SHTF, we'll form up and fight." thing. What exactly do they think they're going to accomplish? It's like 19th century warfare mentality vs. 21st century technology and tactics. If any of the doomsday scenarios were to actually play out (I do think anything is possible, so I am in fact open-minded), you'd basically have a bunch of dudes running around in camo uniforms, using formations/movement straight out of their outdated old surplus military manuals, all while being watched by UAV's, dudes with thermals, and being taken out with precision munitions or something. It's a complete joke. The concept is not a bad idea, and there's many times where it could possibly be a benefit, like say New Orleans after Katrina. I'm sure LE could have used plenty of help in that situation. I think people are a bit delusional that think they're actually going to wage some sort of fight against some big, evil, force and win. What will win is educating people until it spreads far enough that the people these groups think they're going to fight hopefully understand the same things and can make more informed decisions instead of blindly following orders. With better education, maybe you wouldn't have people following unconstitutional orders, maybe you wouldn't have things occurring like the Katrina confiscations.

Top Bottom