• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Has anyone gotten a survey in the mail from the VA for the Million Veteran Program?

Per the website (mvp.va.gov), "MVP researchers use genetic, health, lifestyle, and military background information to understand how genes affect health and illness. Understanding differences in our genes can help explain why some people get diseases and respond to certain treatments while others don’t. This can also help health care providers offer better preventative care and treatments of illnesses and disease. Individual genetic information is not currently returned to our MVP partners. However, Veterans, families, and their providers can use findings from MVP to make important health care decisions."

It also states "MVP researchers use genetic, health, lifestyle, and military background information to understand how genes affect health and illness. Understanding differences in our genes can help explain why some people get diseases and respond to certain treatments while others don’t. This can also help health care providers offer better preventative care and treatments of illnesses and disease. Individual genetic information is not currently returned to our MVP partners. However, Veterans, families, and their providers can use findings from MVP to make important health care decisions."

The 54- question survey addresses such areas as demographics (race, education, income), physical features, uniformed service experience, activities and habits (including how much you exercise, drink alcohol and smoke), health status, medical history and health care coverage, and family health history.

The survey can be completed online, after registering and creating an account.

After voluntarily completing the survey, participants agree to a one-time MVP visit during which a blood sample will be taken.

I am still debating my participation, it's not like the Federal government doesn't already know enough about me (same goes with state and local); but I can see where this may help improve veteran health services in the future.

Thoughts?
    DK Firearms

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    A buddy asked me a few weeks ago if I was familiar with the program, I was not. And certainly not interested after reading what it entails.

I’ve never dealt with the VA for anything so I guess I’m not on a list for them.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    A buddy asked me a few weeks ago if I was familiar with the program, I was not. And certainly not interested after reading what it entails.

I’ve never dealt with the VA for anything so I guess I’m not on a list for them.
    Each encounter with VA convinces me that I don't want to deal with them again.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I got the same letter; I chose not to participate. My wife elected into DoD’s Millennium Cohort Study way back whenever it first started and it’s like a gift that keeps on giving. Every year she gets a request to fill out a survey and/or a trinket for participating.

I’m afraid the VA MVP may turn out just the same and I don’t need another booger that just can’t be flicked.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I got the same letter; I chose not to participate. My wife elected into DoD’s Millennium Cohort Study way back whenever it first started and it’s like a gift that keeps on giving. Every year she gets a request to fill out a survey and/or a trinket for participating.

I’m afraid the VA MVP may turn out just the same and I don’t need another booger that just can’t be flicked.

I'm feeling the same. I was initially considering it; but the more I thought about it, the less motived I felt to join. I don't use VA services, and I don't see a great benefit to them having the information requested for those that do.

I've already shredded the paperwork they sent, I can always use the website if I change my mind; but I don't see that happening...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I'm feeling the same. I was initially considering it; but the more I thought about it, the less motived I felt to join. I don't use VA services, and I don't see a great benefit to them having the information requested for those that do.

I've already shredded the paperwork they sent, I can always use the website if I change my mind; but I don't see that happening...
    I've stayed away from VA services for over 50 years but now considering filling an Agent Orange claim.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Joined years ago when they first started it, when things were a lot less intrusive than today.
    Get a survey on occasion, ignored for last five or six years.
    Never noticed any impact on my life, or impact on service from the VA.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    They did a big push with this a few years back. I'm saying the same thing now as I did then, F off.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I've stayed away from VA services for over 50 years but now considering filling an Agent Orange claim.
    Go for it ... it's presumptive and you earned it.
    Use the DAV to help out if you need help in applying.
    If you live in a blue county, like Harris, stay away from the local racist POS.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Internet surveys from any source, go completely ignored by me.

A few sent to me attempted to 'intimidate/or guilt trip me' into answering their surveys...nope!

Even had one survey from a car dealership implied if I didn't answer their survey, he'd lose his job...yeah, sure, nice try, won't work though...

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    The ones who most likely to reply will be from the 23% that approve of the state of the nation.

You would be wrong.

The MVP program, which I signed up for over a decade ago, has helped with some important medical advances. https://www.research.va.gov/mvp/research.cfm

It's a one and done program. Donate some blood, fill out a questionnaire and you're done.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I used the VA up until last year when the physician turnover rate got ridiculous. I would go for an appointment and they would tell me that my doctor was no longer there. Nobody called me. No emails or text messages. Nothing. Their lack of operations integrity makes me question their priorities and motives.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Do it. There are 30 diseases or conditions that AO is linked to. If you spent 24 hrs in RVN you drank the water which had AO in it because it washed into the streams and couldn't be filterd out of the potable water .

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bladerunner
    Top Bottom