mini-14 or a ar-15

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by country_boy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Trying to figure out if I want a mini-14 or a ar-15. The mini 14 I want is just the basic ranch rifle(wood stock, blued barrel). The ar-15 I want to build is like the m16a1. I cant afford both, its one or the other. :banghead:

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    :icon_popcorn:

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    AR is the better rifle all around.

4. usmcpmi

usmcpmi Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    country boy, I have both. And while I am partial to the AR from the get-go, I'll let you know why......My experiance with the AR is proven over many years and thousands of rounds down range. Very accurate, and simple to use. Lots of extras are available, from many suppliers. The Ruger, not so much. My Ruger has acceptable accuracy (although I've only fired it out to 100 yds. so far) The caliber is the same so no difference there. My issue with the Ruger is that it just seems "cheap" the action feels "loose", the ops rod rattles, the fit on the stock is poor, the finish is OK,not great, my biggest problem though, is that if the bolt is locked to the rear, and you bump the stock on the ground, the bolt goes home.... at first I thought I had not locked it correctly. But after doing it several more times, figured out it was the design, not the operator. Also extra mags are more expensive than the AR. And if you want to put optics on it (the Ruger) it ejects out the top, so you need a off-center mount. SO just a few things off the top of my head. Good luck! MG

5. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Owned a Mini-14, now own an AR. The AR is a better rifle hands down. More accurate, easier to clean, and you don't need to be a gunsmith to repair a broken firing pin.

6. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I have both. The Mini-14 is fun and fine if all you want is a handy, fairly rugged little .223. But, as pointed out in the responses above, there really is no comparison with the AR-15. The AR-15 is capable of MOA accuracy or better depending on the barrel and upper and ammo used. You have a ton of options on the AR, including after-market trigger, a dedicated .22LR upper or the Ciener unit or similar to practice with cheap .22. No comparison in my opinion and experience.

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The AR15 is the small block Chevy of the semi-auto world. There isn't much you can't do to them to fill any need or wanton desire.

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    The Mini will cost you a few hundred less but it will most likely be less accurate. I am a fan of the AR platform because magazines are cheap and accessories are plentiful.

AR would be $900-1100, mini 14 would be $675-750.

Get the AR 15.

9. Fisherman

Fisherman Member

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    The AR has a ton more options available, quality mags are more easily found, parts are more easily found, etc....

That said, the mini is a nice rifle.

Decide what you want the rifle for and go from there.

I really like the looks of the mini with a wood stock and the simplicity of it, though either are very nice.

10. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    AR-15 all the way. I would say something in support of it, but everyone else already did that.