• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Summed up, the Mini is hands down the most reliable of the two rifles and is a wonder of simplicity. It will, however NEVER shoot as accurately as the AR-15. You could spend another $500 to tune up a Mini where it will approach the accuracy of an AR but........... if that is necessary, why not buy the AR in the first place?

Flash

The Mini is the more reliable?

I've shot quite a few tactical rifle shoots back in CA, and some people favored the Mini because it was "CA-friendly" right out of the box.

The number of AR malfunctions I saw that weren't due to ammo or operator error was low, considering how many ARs we saw. The number of Minis that I saw make it through a 100 round match without a malfunction is zero.

There was one that would basically turn into a bolt-action rifle midway through the first stage, but I think he was having magazine issues, or one of the many mods he'd done to the rifle just wasn't working out.

Thats probably a bit of an exageration. A .22 upper or conversion kit is going to cost you several hundred dollars. . . which is a lot more than just getting a .22 rifle.

The calibers, there is a lot, but they are all relatively similar (except maybe a .458 socom) and pretty expensive. And again, the uppers will cost you $500.

I'm not arguing against an AR (I'm drooling over a 6.8 spc upper), it just isn't the cheapest way to go for a multi-caliber platform)

Dude, not all of the caliber options are similar. You can go from .22 LR to .50 BMG!
    Military Camp

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Actually, there are .50 BMG uppers available for the AR.

they generally require changing the FCG.

To the OP: What model ofMini are you looking at? My Grandfather in law bought one of the new target models and it is quiet accurate with handloads.

They had to resort to some serious trickery to get it to be accurate though, but their efforts worked.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The number of AR malfunctions I saw that weren't due to ammo or operator error was low, considering how many ARs we saw. The number of Minis that I saw make it through a 100 round match without a malfunction is zero.

There was one that would basically turn into a bolt-action rifle midway through the first stage, but I think he was having magazine issues, or one of the many mods he'd done to the rifle just wasn't working out.

The problems with the Mini 14 stem from the profusion of crappy after market magazines for that rifle. I use nothing but Ruger mags and have no problems. Of course, that limits things a lot as Ruger had a nutty attitude about rifle magazines. The selection is slim and expensive.

Overall, I shoot the AR-15 almost 100% and own one Mini -14 'cause it's neat and I like it. I also like the M1A and suspect that is because of the similarity of the two rifles. Put M1 Garands and 1903A3 rifles on that "favorite" list, too!

Flash

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    It all depends on what your uses for the rifle will be.

Most people that poo poo the Mini-14 have taken the little rifle and tried to make it a match gun and ran it through the wringer on some high fire rate courses. Hello! Thats NOT what it was designed for. I am sure you'd also be unhappy with a Marlin 30-30 if you tried shooting it at 600yds too - again...not its intended purpose!

It was not designed for all the questionable add-on crap that people stick on the thing, trying to make it an assault rifle or AR wanna be. Like the SKS...the more stock you leave it - the less headaches and the more you will enjoy it...trust me! Been there.

The Ruger Mini-14 was designed to be a short, handy varmint-like carry along rifle. It was to be shot 2-3 times infrequently, at coyotes or some other varmint. It was also designed to be handy and carry well in a scabbard or on an ATV or pickup. Basically an alternative to a Winchester 94 or other 30-30 levergun.

If your needs meet what the Mini-14 was designed for, you'll probably like the little rifle and it will serve you pretty well. I have an early Mini-14 and I use it as it was intended and its been great for my needs. I never bought it with the intention of running gobs of ammo through it at a time, using in a 3-Gun match or trying to pot prarie dogs at 300yds. It is what it is, a reliable and handy and somewhat accurate short range plinker and varmint gun.

If you want to do AR things...yes..you're better off getting an AR an skipping the Mini-14, but if your needs mirror what the rifle was designed for...save some green and buy a Mini-14.

The newer Minis have thicker barrels and the accuracy seems to be about on par with most basic bone stock ARs at 100yds.

Magazines? Again...you'll have to test this yourself. Everyone told me that aftermarket mags for Minis are garbage but mine shoots fine with the 20rd Pro Mags from Academy. The Ruger 20 rounders are twice as expensive and they work well, too. Again....try the 17 dollar Pro Mag from Academy...it might work fine. For 17 bucks its worth a try.

So there you have it...the unvarnished truth about the Mini-14. Its not going to be for everyone and it does not surprise me one bit that the tactical competiors don't like it. Hello! It was not designed for you.

- brickboy240

Top Bottom