• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Trying to figure out if I want a mini-14 or a ar-15. The mini 14 I want is just the basic ranch rifle(wood stock, blued barrel). The ar-15 I want to build is like the m16a1. I cant afford both, its one or the other. :banghead:
    Target Sports

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    country boy, I have both. And while I am partial to the AR from the get-go, I'll let you know why......My experiance with the AR is proven over many years and thousands of rounds down range. Very accurate, and simple to use. Lots of extras are available, from many suppliers. The Ruger, not so much. My Ruger has acceptable accuracy (although I've only fired it out to 100 yds. so far) The caliber is the same so no difference there. My issue with the Ruger is that it just seems "cheap" the action feels "loose", the ops rod rattles, the fit on the stock is poor, the finish is OK,not great, my biggest problem though, is that if the bolt is locked to the rear, and you bump the stock on the ground, the bolt goes home.... at first I thought I had not locked it correctly. But after doing it several more times, figured out it was the design, not the operator. Also extra mags are more expensive than the AR. And if you want to put optics on it (the Ruger) it ejects out the top, so you need a off-center mount. SO just a few things off the top of my head. Good luck! MG

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I have both. The Mini-14 is fun and fine if all you want is a handy, fairly rugged little .223. But, as pointed out in the responses above, there really is no comparison with the AR-15. The AR-15 is capable of MOA accuracy or better depending on the barrel and upper and ammo used. You have a ton of options on the AR, including after-market trigger, a dedicated .22LR upper or the Ciener unit or similar to practice with cheap .22. No comparison in my opinion and experience.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    The Mini will cost you a few hundred less but it will most likely be less accurate. I am a fan of the AR platform because magazines are cheap and accessories are plentiful.

AR would be $900-1100, mini 14 would be $675-750.

Get the AR 15.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    The AR has a ton more options available, quality mags are more easily found, parts are more easily found, etc....

That said, the mini is a nice rifle.

Decide what you want the rifle for and go from there.

I really like the looks of the mini with a wood stock and the simplicity of it, though either are very nice.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I shot my dad's mini-14 to see if he should keep it or get rid of it. I was using a scope and the best groups I got were around 4" @ 100yds. The guys that worked at the range couldn't believe THIS mini-14 was so accurate. WHAT? If a gun will only shoot 4" groups and is considered very accurate, you should not own that rifle. My dad sold the rifle.

My AR, however has given me 2" groups at 100 yards with open sights, no scope. That is only b/c I need glasses, b/c it is capable of doing better. The best I got with that same scope I used on the mini-14, is .75" groups at 100 yards with some 60g V-max bullets I loaded up. This is the 16" barreled A3 variant, so nothing special like a varmint bull barrel to help me out.

Do not waste your money on a mini-14. I have unanimous agreement from everyone I know to attest to that.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had a pile of both AR-15's and Mini-14's. Even though I like the looks and function of the Mini, it just won't shoot with the AR-15. I am addressing the older skinny barrel Minis. Once the skinny barrel gets hot, accuracy falls off. In fact, they get a bit wild and unpredictable.

I really like the gas piston system of the Mini and think it's better and more reliable than the AR-15. That's not enough to overcome the accuracy difference, however.

Some companies specialize in accurizing the Mini but why spend hundreds of bucks just to make it shoot like an AR-15?

Some of the newer Mini 14 models have heavy barrels and could they could shoot better but I have not had one of those.

Flash

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    For me the comparison is settled. I have both....The AR is more accurate although the Mini will do for hunting. But then my (Golani/Galil is as accurate or moreso than the AR. And, someone is shipping me a Mini 30 and if I can hit a gallon bucket at 70-100 yds. I will be tickled with that , too. For zombies at 500-1000 yds. I use the 03A3 Springfield.....OH, Oh got the ratchet jaw/motormouth this AM...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    AR vs Mini 14

I have owned a mini 14 since my teenage years. I have only recently bought an AR-15 by Armalite(1yr ago). To compare the two is kinda silly. My mini-14(ss w/scope) ranch rifle was never as accurate as any other scoped rifle I have shot but it was fun, reliable, easy to operate and high capacity. The M-15(what armalite calls it) is a refined combat weapon. Mine has been paired with an eotech 553 holosight. At 50 yds the M-15 will consistently put 20 bullets into an area about the size of a golf ball with my reloads or with winchester silver box ammo(varmint hunting,not bst). The eyes open holosight is a thing of beauty and deadly accurate. The one quirk about the AR is that it was designed to digest high powered military ammo and can be finniky about shooting certain hunting loads. The gas system on the mini-14 will eat up even the cheapest ammo out there, without hiccups. Ultimately, how important is accuracy to you. With the AR you will get it with the mini, you won't.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    To quote a gun mag from the 1970's when the Mini was first introduced, it is "world's most expensive plinker".

I have owned 3 181 series Minis. After the last one came back from the factory getting rebuilt, I traded it for a Colt AR-15 and have never looked back. For me a Mini-14 is kind of like a boat. The two best days in an owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I happen to like the Mini-14. Even though Bill Ruger submitted it to the military for a possible contract, it didn't suit their needs. It has never been an accurate gun and the newer 580 and 581 series with the beefier barrel isn't much better. I've heard the accuracy described as MOB(Minute of Bucket!). But it's fun to shoot and will nock down the stray varmint or hog. If you're looking for a tack driver, go with the AR, but if you're just wanting a neat semi-auto and don't want to spend an arm and a leg, the Ruger is your choice.

Used ones can run from $400 to $600. Accurizing them can be as in-depth as you care to spend or for a mere $120, you can buy an Accu-strut and that will cut the barrel whip waaaay down.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    MOB= Minute Of Barn.J/K
    I have shot a mini 14 one time (one bullet from one rifle), that about sums up my knowledge on this matter. I just couldn't pass on the MOB. Sorry, I'll go back to the shadows now.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    As long as you only shoot 1-2 shots out of it,a Mini 14 is a decent shooter.But after that straw they have for a barrel heats up,forget it.
    If you want something better than a Mini 14,but cheaper than an AR15,buy a Saiga in 223 and it will put you in the middle of the two. Better accuracy,doesn't break the bank.

Top Bottom