Mini 14 or AR

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Cowtown, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown Member

Aug 2, 2009
    FT. Worth
    Thinking of getting a .223 and wondering ya'lls suggestion on which one.

I was trying to find a used one.

Thanks in advance.

2. Stag

Stag Member

I have shot both. I like the AR. It can be a dirty beast, if you neglect to clean it. I like the AR for its manual of arms. They are very accurate. They also give you the ability to add stuff to it.. if you are into that. which can be fun. They are a little more difficult to find, because everyone wants one. And the price on them can be inflated. I have an AR lower that I have yet to get an upper for.

Mini-14s are nice ranch rifles. Alot of folks love them. They have nice wood stocks and you could probably find a nice used one fairly quick.

What purpose do you have in mind for firing .223 ?.. if you list that.. you may get a better viewpoint from board members.

3. Cowtown

Cowtown Member

Aug 2, 2009
    FT. Worth
    I want a good rifle for what ever might come up.... self protection.

the 223 should be easier to get.

I am open to the least expensive rifle I can get.. even an AK.

4. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    The Mini comes cheaper than an AR, breaks down to clean simpler and easier. On the other hand most ARs will shoot circles around a Mini. AR magazines are much less expensive and you can add a multitude of acessories to your AR. Most ARs come with chrome bores and chambers.

A Mini is a fun plinker, nowhere close to two or three bullets almost through the same hole. They are pretty tough and patterned similiarly to the old M1s and Carbines, the gas system different of course. Minis get a bad rap, accuracy wise and are prone to begin stringing fired rounds when the barrel gets hot. I have both rifles and choose one or the other depending upon what I shoot at and the distance, etc.

5. bvillars

bvillars Member

Feb 22, 2009
    mini vs. ar

man this chevy versus ford. I have a couple of both and love them all. AR's seem to be frowned on by the general public because of the look, while the mini is more accepted. The ar is certainly more accurate, but I seem to hit lots of hogs with my open site mini 14 and mini 30. Mini's are cheaper but ar's hold their value a little better. I suggest you go to a range and try to rent each one or lots of people will let you shoot their weapon either a mini or ar if you buy the ammo. Good luck and hope whatever you buy you love it. Who knows maybe later in life you can buy the other one. You can always use the excuse you need another one to leave to a son or dughter later on.

6. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    There is no rifle in the world that beats the ergonomics of the AR-15.

7. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You might do a search of previous posts. This question was asked a month or so ago and had lots of good responses.

My pick; the AR hands down. They're more accurate and there's lots more configurations than the Mini-14. I've owned both and the AR is a better rifle.

8. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Bullseye Shooter is right, this one was covered well a month or so ago. Do a search and hopefully you can find it and view all the responses.

AR-15 hands down. It's much much more accurate. You can switch out uppers. Easy to get parts for. I've got both and there is no comparison.

Good shooting.

9. KellyAsh

KellyAsh Active Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    +1 for the AR

10. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Heck, another plus for hte AR is that you can buld it yourself by mailorder.

the onyl part that needs an FFL transfer is the lower.