• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    Hello all, I have a mini 14 that won't eject shot shells.

The slide binds up. I can get it to open all the way but it requires extreme force to open.

How hard is it to disassemble the trigger and bolt assembly?

It it appears that something is out of alignment. Has anyone experienced this?

Any nay ideas would be appreciated.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's likely that it's ammo related. Please specify the ammo that you're using.

Does the operating rod bind past the point where the cartridge is extracted from the chamber? On M1 Garands, we would remove the Op Rod spring and test the operation of the rod/bolt. It should go from one extreme to the other by gravity only with the that spring removed.

Flash

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The operating rod on the Mini-14 is pretty solid, so it's hard to believe that it's messed up. The only 2 things that I have seen that cause such a problem are 1) ammo (as Roger4314 pointed out) or 2) the piston that the rod goes over (at the gas port) is completely fouled up with carbon. (My ex-father-in-law had a Mini that I had to use a hammer to get the rod to operate. He was under the strange assumption that you never had to clean the action and it was solid with carbon.)

Look on youtube for videos on taking apart the Mini. It's VERY easy to do. There's a hole in the trigger guard. You put a rod or screw driver in that and pop it loose. The entire trigger mechanism comes out in one group. That allows you to disassemble the rest of the action from the stock. The plastic guard on top of the rifle can be snapped off of the barrel. Remove the spring and the operating rod can be pulled down. There is a little notch on the side of the receiver and if you match up the operating rod tab with that, the rod can be removed. YOU REALLY DON'T NEED TO DISASSEMBLE ANY MORE THAN WHAT I'VE JUST DESCRIBED! The bolt can be a pain to get in and out and it really doesn't need to come out for basic cleaning. DON'T disassemble the gas port. Just clean it. It may take some work and an old toothbrush to accomplish.

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    Thanks for the info. Its not ammo related. I bought gun used and it doesn't look like it has been fired enough to be dirty.

After looking closer, it looks like the metal guide that the bolt rides on binds up and won't let the bolt come all the way back. In order to get it open I have to either tap it with hammer or really pound it with my hand.

I'll look up video and take action apart and give it a good cleaning. Maybe once it's open I will be able to see where its binding or just mega dirty.

Thanks for input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    I guess what im calling a slide is the groove the bolt slides in. The back of the bolt acts like it is hitting metal on metal.

Maybe pic will clarify a little.
    a6yqa6e5.jpg

Where pen is pointing you can see the blueing rubbed off. I can color it with sharpie and when I force bolt open it rubs color off.

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    Problem is I cant sell it like it is. This gun came in a 5 or 6 gun deal from a guy. All others are lever actions and are like new. This gun is in great condition except it wont eject.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Replace the extractor and if that doesn't fix it call Ruger. Unless you are certain its not cycling all the way. Then may be a gas problem. I believe they use a short stroke. If there isn't enough gas to push out the piston with enough energy the bolt carrier will not go all the way. I dont know much about them. The only rugers I own are rimfire.

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    Ya its not extractor. The bolt wont open all the way. It is in a bind. I called Ruger and they told me to send it to them and it could be 6 months before I got a reply and my gun back. Obviously that will be a last resort. Took to a gunsmith and he pretty much said send to Ruger. Others want $100 just to look at it before they order parts and then arent 100% sure until it gets torn down trying to fix myself before I go that route.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Dang. I wonder if you're missing a part or its put together wrong. I wouldn't want to send it in either.
    There's gotta be some Mini 14 fan out there that can figure it out.

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    I wonder that too. I'll take it apart and hope for best. I'm going to go online and try to find owners manual. Like mentioned I will go to you tube and find a video of disassembly. Then I can determine if its installed correctly or in fact binding.

Thanks for you help.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have had my bolt will get stuck shut if it sits for a while closed, never had any issues while firing it.
    Some have cleared it up with a decent cleaning and some have complained about rust as well.
    Type "Mini 14 Stuck bolt" in Google, there is a lot of information on it and let us know how everything turns out.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    Putting the bolt carrier back into the receiver has always been a little tricky for me. Was it shooting fine before this, or has it been recently taken apart?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Mini is easy to break down, but not so easy to put back together.

The trick is to reassemble the bolt and operating rod correctly, and make sure the hammer is in the "cocked" position.

Consult the owner's manual, it shows how to do it.

The Ruger MK series are also difficult to re-assemble.

I always have to grab the manual to get it right.

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    The gun has been like this since I got it. The guy I got it from said he never fired it and had no idea it had a problem. Im going to search for manual and see if I can't fix it. Thx for responses. When I get it Apart I will post up any problem I find

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    The problem is it is a Mini 14.
    Poor bastardization of a great rifle.
    You want an easy way to double the value of a Mini 14?- insert a loaded magazine in it.

Does the bolt cycle smoothly with the operating rod removed? If so something in the operating rod chain of things is amiss. Bent rod, alignment etc.
    If not I would be looking real hard at the condition of the locking lugs of the receiver and bolt. If peened it may have a high round count or a bunch of hot rounds run down it.
    Don't shoot 5.56 out of a Mini!
    Is the nose of the bolt intact or does it appear bulged/damaged? If bulged it may have suffered a case head blow out.
    Clean and degrease the rifle well. Take Dykem or Magic Marker and coat all contact surfaces, cycle the action a few times by hand and check your contact patterns.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom