Mini 14

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Sarp, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Sarp

Sarp Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Houston
    Mini 14's come in .223 and 6.8 SPC and the mini 30 comes in 7.62x39. How good are the mini 14's and mini 30's over all and which would be the best choice caliber.

I would use them for fun, pigs and varmint.

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Varmints with a Mini 14?

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but the AR-15 is a much better, more reliable, easier to maintain and accurate gun. It's also a bit pricier...

3. viking

viking New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    The 6.8 ammo might be harder to find. The 7.62x39 ammo is out there, but will the mini 30 shoot it accurately I don't know(I would love to have one). I would go to with the 223. It works on hogs also. Check out my post in general chit chat.

My 9 year old boy, 8 at the time used the mini with a 64 grain winchester pp hand load. The hog (80-90lbs) was about 50 yds broadside. The bullet passed clean through, destroying the lungs on its way. I might add that mine does not like steel cased ammo.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The Mini-14 is an entry level carbine. IMHO it is not even comparable to an AR. WTS, the accuracy seems to have gotten MUCH better of late. They used to be minute of barn door rifles. You should be able to keep 5 rounds in a pie plate at 100 with the newer ones.

Bite the bullet and get a decent AR and never look back.

5. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I don't want to hijack the thread either, but I've owned both and prefer the AR; more accurate, easier to work on and lots more after-market add-ons are available. If you buy the AR, go with the regular stock; more comfortable to shoot, especially when hunting.

6. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Mini 14 & Mini 30

I have both and assuredly at least the Mini 14 is not as accurate as the widely loved AR types. But the rifle is not near as bad as some would have you believe. Mine has killed deer, varmints, aluminum cans, rocks, and paper targets. It is not a minute of angle shooter nor a bench rest gun. That said, it is trouble free, easy to disassemble and clean and not terribly expensive to buy.

My Bushmaster AR (M4) is much more accurate, shorter and easier to handle, more hassle to clean, and what I would consider a top notch rifle.

And, my Galil/Golani, also in .223 with all the Century Arms bugs and shortcomings fixed and worked out is very accurate, easy to clean and
    a bit heavier than the other two but on a Kalashnijov design and just super.:texas:

7. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow, I did some internet price checking... Is a Mini-14 really $600+? That's really not much cheaper than a lower-end AR-15. If you're patient and good at finding deals, you can put an AR together for around $600 by buying lower, parts kit, stocks and upper all separately.

6.8 is quite expensive. I can't imagine a Mini 14 being less accurate in 7.62x39mm. The caliber itself is capable of as much accuracy as any other (I know people who've hand loaded the caliber to get MOA or better accuracy).

Then again... Mini 30 VS AK-47: Something tells me that an AK might be cheaper (Internets suggest that the Mini is going for around $700. You can find an AK for $400 again), and I can tell you that accuracy is usually 3 (+/-1) MOA. Plus, you'll be able to find mags that hold more than ten rounds... and work. And AKs are way easier to clean (when you get sick of watching it work dirtier than you can imagine).

8. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    PS-look at a thread on AR's going for $600+shipping and tax.

About the same price you are going to get for a mini-14 new.

I wouldn't use the 6.8 spc unless you reload, then have at it. Just my opinion.

9. pvtsnowball82

pvtsnowball82 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    I'm confused as to why you say the AR is more reliable and easier to maintain.

10. Sarp

Sarp Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Houston
    Thank you for the input guys.